• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I just got the paperwork signed off for my nuclear ICBM. One of these days I'll be able to afford the one that can reach Mars.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I just got the paperwork signed off for my nuclear ICBM. One of these days I'll be able to afford the one that can reach Mars.

You gonna shoot down the flag that Sheila Jackson Lee thinks is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Magic.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I have gotten to shoot a custom rifle chambered in .408 cheytac, and .375 cheytac. Not very much experience with it though, other than it was effortless to hit long range targets.. anyone else get to play with these calibers?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    The .408 is an awesome round; I had much the same experience. I usually have to pay a lot more attention at a grand or better to get hits :)

And damn, they are expensive...

A

Dreaded88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    My favorite all around caliber is the .270 Winchester.

For long range I'm a big fan of the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. A caliber that's always under the radar here in the US. I've shot deer at very long ranges with the 6.5 Swed. and never lost a deer. I still use a 1910 Carl Gustafs M96 Swed.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I'm getting really fond of my 7mm-08AI. Been really contemplating building a 7mm Rem mag or STW for when Berger releases their 195gr bullets to go out and depress some 338L fans.

deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this, but I honestly did not know that a .30-06 could perform well long range. If someone can assure me the performance of a .30-06 at distances LESS than 600 yards, I will reconsider my Christmas wish list.

I currently have a .270 and have shot the longest around 350 yards.

My favorite, however, is my father's .300 Weatherby Magnum.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    The .308 seems to have taken over for long-range tactical shooting/hunting, though the .30-06 shoots flatter and retains more energy. I think the move towards the .308 is because of the short action, but the .30-06 is versatile for reloaders due to the extra case capacity. If it's a plinking gun, then I'd recommend the .243 or .270, but if you actually want to kill something at extended ranges, I would stick to a .30 caliber. The .30-06 outperforms the .308 at EVERY range. It sure does kick though...

One of the members here, LJH, recently dropped a nice Aoudad from 500+ yards with his .30-06. He has a nice discussion on ballistics if you want to pull up his thread.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011

Instead of getting another rifle for Christmas, why not put the money towards a hunt or perhaps optics or other accessories? Both .270 and .300 Wby Mag are excellent hunting cartridges.

This is all on the assumption that you're talking about a hunting rifle. We'll leave the long-range hunting ethics discussion to another thread...

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this, but I honestly did not know that a .30-06 could perform well long range. If someone can assure me the performance of a .30-06 at distances LESS than 600 yards, I will reconsider my Christmas wish list.

Here's a good read on comparing the 30-06 and the 308 since there is a great misconception that the 308 is more accurate. That being said the 30-06 is more than accurate enough and offers a good advantage of being able to push the newer heavy high BC bullets better than the 308 can offer.

Top Bottom