Patriot Mobile

you have $600 to buy a new handgun..what would you buy and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'd get a new HK USP in 45 through work or something.

Been wanting something HK lately. Also craving some 44 mag revolvers. Could find a decent one off TGTrader for around $600
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

SmokeyWhisper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    For $600 and new in 9mm...
    1. Beretta 92FS or M9 for the legacy.
    2. Glock 19 or 17 for reliability.
    3. Smith Wesson M&P for modern design.
    4. Spend $800 on Hk P30 but geta $200 rebate until 12/31/14 for no compromise!

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    RIA 1911.22 TCM / 9mm .

It is the best of both worlds. A 1911 grip and style, and the awesome punch of the .22 TCM (with no recoil). Swap the barrel and recoil spring and you now have a 9mm 1911.

Highly recommended.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    When you fire the TCM at the range, everyone looks at you like fired a S&W .500. They just cannot figure out how you can handle that much recoil...

The fireball you create with every shot is worth every penny. Think of it as a 2100 fps party favor...

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    what are your opinions on the Beretta 92 FS INOX satin ?
    it can be bought for around $625
    JS92F500-1.jpg

I have not owned a full size Beretta, only Taurus clones

I am leaning towards a full size metal frame SA/DA

still looking at CZ also

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    I've been looking at the CZ Duty 9 as many of you recommended.
    I watched some reviews online as I don't know much about CZ as a company. The website says that their guns are only warranted for 5 years.
    That seems a little weak compared to how other gun companies handle things.

And some companies such as Ruger don't have any warranty at all, neither written or implied.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    And some companies such as Ruger don't have any warranty at all, neither written or implied.

you are right about that. I looked and Glock only says 1 year.
    So, that's pretty decent. I have not heard of many problems at all with the CZ guns though, thats good. i'm just unfamilar with them

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    This question is a bit old but I think I'll reply anyway. I'd buy a Glock in .40 either a full size or compact. My G23 is handy for concealed carry. Glocks are reliable enough the it seems the majority of police departments carry them. They don't have a bunch of features that could get in the way during the SHTF situation. You keep it with a round in the camber and when you need to fire it you pull the trigger and it goes boom. No manual safeties to jack with is a plus in my book although options vary. Some studies of real life situations have shown that people often forget to take off the safety in SHTF situations. Some old schoolers wouldn't carry a gun with a round in the camber because of safety concerns from older guns. It really depends on the purpose for which you want the gun. Is this for concealed carry, target shooting, hunting, home defense, plinking? What fits your hand? What is the largest caliber your are comfortable firing? I pick the .40 for home defense and concealed carry for the extra stopping power over the 9mm. It is a bit harsh to fire at the range, so I wouldn't pick it for plinking or target shooting. You want a big magnum caliber for hunting. Don't like the way the Glock fits your hand or its features? Go to the range and rent some other brands and try them out.

You mentioned 9mm. 9mm is ok. Many law enforcement officers carry 9mm. I prefer the .40. It strikes a nice balance between the velocity and mag capacity of the 9mm and the raw stopping power of the .45.

Mensch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2014
    Texas
    Probably a Springfield XD Service 4" in 9mm, or a Smith & Wesson 442 (no lock) in .38 Spl +p. Most of the handguns I want have a higher price tag, I'm currently debating the pros and cons of those two as a backup to my CC Springfield XDS 3" .45 ACP. I won't be carrying the backup, but everywhere I go on the job carry a sort of utility/GTFH (Get The Frick Home) backpack and I'd like to leave it in there. The S&W would be better for weight (not a huge deal), but I like the idea of being able to grab a double-stack 9mm if I feel I need it. :D

Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    For a m&p style handgun, I'd look at the CZ P09 first.
    I like revolvers though, so I would probably look at a S&W model 60.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ltlavender
    Top Bottom