ARJ Defense ad

You guys will be able to answer this. How to dry out documents?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I was looking for a legal document the other day and I open my little fire box I keep under the bed and smell that bad smell.

My documents aren't moldy or soaking wet but they smell musty and feel ever so slightly damp. How can I dry these out so they dont get nasty over time?

I've had this fire box for years and keep some desicant in the box. Its never been an issue.

But I moved into a house recently. Slab foundation and my bedroom is cold. Apparently the moisture is getting trapped in the box and cant get out.

Right now I've got all the docs loosely placed in an open box. Any better way to dry them out?

Ill have to find a better place to keep the box like up on a shelf or something. I'm glad I checked it out when I did.
    Guns International

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Do what you're doing. A slow dry in the climate they'll be stored in.
    Keep the box open to acclimate too.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    If in a hurry, warm oven to 150. NO HIGHER!!! When it reaches temp. shut it off. spread papers on cookie sheets, place in oven. Give'em about 15 minutes, remove and let them assume room temp. If possible, do not handle while cooling. You might want to take the opportunity to soak a rag in alcohol, and swab out the box. Set it out in the sun and let it dry.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Dehumidifier - like you might use for making jerky - or the freezer. Freeze them and thaw them out slowly.

You could also take photographs of them, or scan them.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My father was a master stamp and coin collector and was accepted into the national organizations for both. The reason I mention this is that dad made huge buys of stamps, processed and resold them. He enlisted the whole family to process them and I learned how to market a MILLION stamps! We processed several million stamp batches.

First, the stamps were still stuck to a small patch of envelope. We soaked them loose and placed them on WAXED PAPER to dry. We bundled them in stacks of 100 stamps and tied each bundle with thread. The bundles were stored in movie film storage canisters which were about 14" in diameter. The key to the whole thing working was to have low humidity in the house and the waxed paper so they wouldn't stick to anything until they dried.

Flash

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    You might consider vacuum sealing the documents with something like a Food Saver once you have them dried out. They have 12 inch wide bags and rolls that are perfect for standard size 8 1/2 x 11 typing or Xerox paper.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom