• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

Apparently someone has built and is selling a gauss rifle. I'm sure the ATF will ban them before they get much more powerful but it does produce enough inertial energy to kill a person now.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I'd much rather have a good pellet gun.

Unfortunately because of the laws of physics (including gravity) combustion/explosions for launching projectiles is far and away a poorer method of sending a projectile at velocity than is gauss guns and rail guns.

Frankly, I'm excited to be able to shoot one in my life time.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Unfortunately because of the laws of physics (including gravity) combustion/explosions for launching projectiles is far and away a poorer method of sending a projectile at velocity than is gauss guns and rail guns.

Frankly, I'm excited to be able to shoot one in my life time.
    You did see where that thing only sends the projectile out at less than 300fps, right? It's cool, don't get me wrong, but doesn't sound like it's in the realm of useful just yet.
    You'd need really powerful capacitors that don't exist yet to send shit down the barrel fast.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Is this worth a merge?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Is this worth a merge?

Rail guns and gauss rifles are different ;-) I like both, I'll shoot both if given the chance.
    You did see where that thing only sends the projectile out at less than 300fps, right? It's cool, don't get me wrong, but doesn't sound like it's in the realm of useful just yet.
    You'd need really powerful capacitors that don't exist yet to send shit down the barrel fast.

I'm well aware. I promise 300 fps is enough to easily kill a human. The best crossbows in the world do about 400 fps (you couldn't load one without a pretty serious tool)

It's a technology in it's infancy and I'm excited.

That price for being neutered? DP, you buy I’ll shoot.

3500 is making me seriously consider it. SERIOUSLY. I think if they get projectiles up to 600 to 800 fps I'll gladly spend 3k.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Rail guns and gauss rifles are different ;-) I like both, I'll shoot both if given the chance.

I'm well aware. I promise 300 fps is enough to easily kill a human. The best crossbows in the world do about 400 fps (you couldn't load one without a pretty serious tool)

It's a technology in it's infancy and I'm excited.

3500 is making me seriously consider it. SERIOUSLY. I think if they get projectiles up to 600 to 800 fps I'll gladly spend 3k.
    I should have looked more closely to see this Gauss gun is a new product from Arcflash...

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    But you won’t wait in any ammo lines at Academy…

Yeah the ammo is literally raw steel. well if it's ferromagnetic it is. If it's non ferromagnetic they use aluminum or copper.

Steel is pretty easy to make into tiny pellets and you don't need gun powder or primers -- the disadvantage of a gauss rifle is you need a shit ton of power to use it. I'm not even kidding, some of the original designs had people with nuclear power packs (in theory).

Anyone want to strap on a backpack that if it cracks everyone dies?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yeah the ammo is literally raw steel. well if it's ferromagnetic it is. If it's non ferromagnetic they use aluminum or copper.

Steel is pretty easy to make into tiny pellets and you don't need gun powder or primers -- the disadvantage of a gauss rifle is you need a shit ton of power to use it. I'm not even kidding, some of the original designs had people with nuclear power packs (in theory).

Anyone want to strap on a backpack that if it cracks everyone dies?

From the article....

"you have to sign a waiver to buy one because when you play with that much electricity, there is always the possibility of lighting yourself up instead of the target"

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Just like nearly anything else right now, chemical energy storage still wins. Gasoline/diesel for cars, smokeless powder for moving projectiles.

Cool concept, once we can access enough energy to make it work.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Always glad to see innovation from US mfrs, but this is not ready for prime time. Did anyone RTFA? Here are some quotes:

-- a 20-pound rifle (20 pounds without battery, that is)
    that means half of America couldn't even lift the rifle once the batteries are installed. I'm guessing it'll weigh around 50 lbs with batteries. Definitely not ready for all 3 of "shoot, move, communicate"

-- fires its 12mm steel projectile at a muzzle velocity of about 275 fps, producing 65 foot-pounds of energy... about as much punch as a .22 short. 4 grand for a 22 that weighs 50 lbs? Hard pass.

-- the magazines hold ten rounds apiece.
    Well, ex-pat Californians will feel right at home.

-- you have to sign a waiver to buy one because when you play with that much electricity, there is always the possibility of lighting yourself up instead of the target.
    Gets better and better. I hope they continue to improve, but for now, it's nothing but a science project.

Top Bottom