• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    As if things weren't dramatic enough, last night, our a/c quits. The inside fan is going, only pushing hot air. The outside unit IS NOT turning on at all. TR is on the way with a voltage meter to test the main a/c breaker. Is there anything else I could possibly look at? I replaced the capacitor as a precaution. No wires appear torn/etc. I also checked the drain pain sensor as well, no signs of corrosion.

Any other ideas?

Chunk.....King of the rehab couch.
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Check the contactor.(outside unit) Mine needs to be cleared of fire ants occasionally.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    If the correct voltage is present, and nothings happening outside, it could be the contactor, t-stat, or a pressure switch if your unit is so equipped.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I bet it's an outside fan or a start capacitor.

Fan motor happened a couple years ago.
    To get by, I removed the fan unit on top and strapped a shop fan on top.
    Armed with the motor plate on the old motor, I got on the phone to Grainger and found a replacement motor and had it over-nighted.

$80 motor - $35 in shipping - 15 minutes of work.

Start caps are $10 items. Keep a spare on hand.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ah think the boy went out to celebrate something bein' a SIMPLE fix this time.....we had talked on the phone, and had him check the main breaker. He commented that it didn't feel "right", and listening to it on the phone, it didn't sound right, either. I scooted over after leaving my last call a bit after 7, and sure enough - main breaker was toast. 8 bucks later, flipped the new breaker on, an' the boy has a/c again!

Dunno 'bout him - but ah suspect ah've got a daughter-in-law what figgers ah'm a purty good guy right about now....<G>

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yup, good news for them.

Since you work so cheap, I'm sure you don't mind that I shot your number over to CanTex

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Sorry for the late update. Yep, breaker.....A friend of mine came over and we changed out the capacitor with no luck.....As I reset the breaker, it was difficult to turn back on, but yet the slightest pressure would turn it off. Commented to TR and he came over. New breaker installed and we have cold air again....I was getting pissed. This, along with the accident, along with being told I have to be out of work for a minimum of 2 weeks, possibly 4 and beyond.....I was not in the mood....lol....Thank you everyone for the support and input!

Dad tried his best to get me to open my bottle of Jack Daniels "Zombie Apocalypse" bottle, but I wasn't convinced, lol...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Dad tried his best to get me to open my bottle of Jack Daniels "Zombie Apocalypse" bottle, but I wasn't convinced, lol...

Yeah - an' ya'll give your thoughts on a guy who, after already puttin' in an 11+ hour day, drives clean across town, troubleshoots AND repairs an a/c unit.....an' the butthead son won't even pop the top on some decent booze for his hard-working Pa?!??

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    Yeah - an' ya'll give your thoughts on a guy who, after already puttin' in an 11+ hour day, drives clean across town, troubleshoots AND repairs an a/c unit.....an' the butthead son won't even pop the top on some decent booze for his hard-working Pa?!??

Let him stew a little longer next time, he'll realize no AC is an apocolypse. Break out the good booze boy.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sorry for the late update. Yep, breaker.....A friend of mine came over and we changed out the capacitor with no luck.....As I reset the breaker, it was difficult to turn back on, but yet the slightest pressure would turn it off. Commented to TR and he came over. New breaker installed and we have cold air again....I was getting pissed. This, along with the accident, along with being told I have to be out of work for a minimum of 2 weeks, possibly 4 and beyond.....I was not in the mood....lol....Thank you everyone for the support and input!

Had a new AC unit installed, a few months later I had to have breaker panel replaced. It was really old, and could not handle the new system.

Top Bottom