• ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Stating a fact (that Yelp can do as they wish) is hardly defending them. And with respect to providing a service, Yelp reviewers/users aren't paying for the service, so that stance doesn't hold water either.

No, this goes to something deeper. A lot has been said about the attitudes of members here and how things have supposedly been cleaned up, but nothing has been said about how an OP can raise a legitimate disagreement or criticism and be instantly be shut down by high minded members here who seemingly want to end threads because the aforementioned criticism seems unimportant to them.

Rather than discuss, they just want to tell the OP he is wrong and stupid for raising his concern because they think they are mentally superior and that their shit doesn't stink.

This is pathetic imho.
    Texas SOT

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    No, this goes to something deeper. A lot has been said about the attitudes of members here and how things have supposedly been cleaned up, but nothing has been said about how an OP can raise a legitimate disagreement or criticism and be instantly be shut down by high minded members here who seemingly want to end threads because the aforementioned criticism seems unimportant to them.

Rather than discuss, they just want to tell the OP he is wrong and stupid for raising his concern because they think they are mentally superior and that their shit doesn't stink.

This is pathetic imho.

If someone is attacking folks rather than the idea or calling names then just report the post. We are trying to apply the rules evenly but sometimes miss some things if they aren't reported.

Our preference is that we let people discuss unless it's breaking rules or getting out of hand. We would much rather warn people and enforce the rules than have to ban anyone.

If everyone was a little more respectful of each other that would go a long way.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    If someone is attacking folks rather than the idea or calling names then just report the post. We are trying to apply the rules evenly but sometimes miss some things if they aren't reported.

Our preference is that we let people discuss unless it's breaking rules or getting out of hand. We would much rather warn people and enforce the rules than have to ban anyone.

If everyone was a little more respectful of each other that would go a long way.

That's fair enough, but sometimes attacking ideas or jerk tendencies are misconstrued as attacking the person, sometimes there's a difference, but sometimes there isn't.

If I said that "defending yelp is pathetic" rather than saying "people who defend yelp are pathetic" that would probably clear things up. But if I say "such comments are high minded and with an air of superiority" it is not much different than saying "someone who would say xxx is high minded and thinks they are superior."

I guess pick your poison and do what you all want, but I will not stop calling out this sort of behavior.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.

This is pathetic imho.

Ok, I see, you're on a bit of a different subject...I get it now. Thanks.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Yelp might be a private entity and can do as they like, but isn't it on us as consumers to call them out on this and bring it to other people's attention?

I've never quite understood the defense of "they can do as they like". Yeah, sure, that's right except if they're discriminating against their customer the customers have every right to tell others as well.

Frankly, these are exactly the kind of shenanigans I want to know about.

Michael000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Spring, TX
    Removed text:
    My wife and I have been eating here for years, and its our favorite Mexican place. Matts does not allow Open carry, so I will no longer eat here. I will not give my money to a business that restricts the rights of the most law abiding citizens in Texas. Since Texans with a license to carry have a lower crime rate than Police Officers, you might want to keep them out of the place as well.

-----

Over rated and over priced. The fact that they posted a 30.07 sign tells me they don't want the most law abiding citizens in Texas eating here.

Playing devil's advocate here, IMO reason the post was deleted was that your review went from being about the actual restaurant to your views on places that post 30.07. It would have been easy to state that you were unhappy w/ the fact that you were forced to disarm to eat there and that you wouldn't be returning w/out interjecting your view on the subject of 30.07. Everything in bold was unnecessary and was just you attacking them because they don't allow open carry and turned it from a review to an editorial.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Might of missed it, but anyone seen any Yelp reviews that praise the presence of the signs?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Frankly, these are exactly the kind of shenanigans I want to know about.
    Exactly. Yeah they can do whatever they like, but I want to know about it so I can be an informed consumer.

If someone is airing a grievance and you think it is trivial then that's fine as well, but maybe you should examine what you are trying to accomplish by dismissing it publicly vs. just going on about your business.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I Wrote a new review. Lets see how long this one lasts...

Was our favorite Mexican place for years, but changed on Jan 1 30.07

Michael000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Spring, TX
    So yelp is against freedom of speech?

Yes. That's the answer you guys want to hear right?

If they're cracking down on reviews like the OPs it stands to reason they only want your opinion on the restaurant and your enjoyment or lack thereof; they don't want your opinion on why you think a policy is bad and what they should do about it.

I Wrote a new review. Lets see how long this one lasts...

Was our favorite Mexican place for years, but changed on Jan 1 30.07

I'd actually change that to

Was our favorite Mexican place for years, but will not be returning due to it becoming an unsafe environment as of Jan 1 30.07

If they delete your current post then yes, i'll bring my pitchfork and torch as well and agree that Yelp is the devil.

Last edited:

RiverCity.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    Freedom of speech doesn't apply to non-governmental entities. The First Amendment prohibits the government from restricting speech. Yelp is free to censure and suppress all the speech they want.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    In terms of legality, the 1st Amendment only prevents the Federal Government from suppressing speech it doesn't like. A later amendment that was ratified essentially applies this at the state level as well.

A private entity like Yelp! is not bound by the 1st Amendment. You are correct in saying they clearly don't mind censorship but from a legal perspective that means nothing.

On the other hand, I find the dismissive comments towards those complaining concerning as well. When a private business that is supposed to be a place for people to express their opinions deems which opinions should or should not get displayed they are harming their credibility and people should be made aware. Granted, Yelp is probably not a place for political rants but if your criticism is specifically aimed at not allowing open carry that seems valid assuming you worded it appropriately. If they take it down anyway, that is them basically stating they are not neutral to what user's post, which completely undermines the type of service they provide.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Playing devil's advocate here, IMO reason the post was deleted was that your review went from being about the actual restaurant to your views on places that post 30.07. It would have been easy to state that you were unhappy w/ the fact that you were forced to disarm to eat there and that you wouldn't be returning w/out interjecting your view on the subject of 30.07. Everything in bold was unnecessary and was just you attacking them because they don't allow open carry and turned it from a review to an editorial.

If the restaurant has a 30.07 sign, then mentioning it in the review IS commenting on the actual restaurant.

A business must be judged by the totality of the circumstances IMO. Customer (dis)service and business policy are certainly fair game to ding. If I, as a customer, say a business isn't worth going to because they are posted, why aren't my personal standards just as valid as the guy who won't go there because the restrooms are gross or the music is too loud and annoying?

Mentioning a business installed a mass shooter magnet seems pretty legit to me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom