• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    a buddy of mine asked me a question that i dont know the awner to. in a nut shell, when loading .308 for a bolt gun, what is the lowest powder charge you can load and still shoot safely?
    Example: using Win 748 it calls for 47 gr for a max load. can you drop it down to 30gr for a very very light load?
    Guns International

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Whats the reason for the light load? is it a noise issue (sub-sonic), trying to simulate ballistics of a long range shot at shorter distance, or what?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most manuals have a starting load and max load. If your just tryin to see how low you can get it start at the starting load and works down. MAKE SURE after each shot there is nothing in the bore and take something to knock out a stuck bullet.

I would think you could go pretty low before the bullet actually sticks, but I don't know why you would want to get it down that low.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    It seems I read some IDPA and 3 Gun events have a minimum you can use because people were trying to minimize recoil and get back on target faster.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Hodgdon is an awesome source for reloading information. I recently ordered my first single stage as I was using hand loaders before then for 45-70. But yeah, lower grain bullets would be a good starting point with the starting load.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    a buddy of mine asked me a question that i dont know the awner to. in a nut shell, when loading .308 for a bolt gun, what is the lowest powder charge you can load and still shoot safely?
    Example: using Win 748 it calls for 47 gr for a max load. can you drop it down to 30gr for a very very light load?

You would not want to go below 15% of max charge.
    Read this article...secondary explosion effect is nasty nasty.
    Develop Subsonic

If you want a low recoil, go with a heavy bullet and a fast powder (like Trail Boss) and load up some sub-sonic loads.
    Trail Boss is published data, so no need to re-invent the wheel.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    At very low powder charges you will invite a phenomenon known as "detonation."

With certain combinations of propellant, primer, and projectile, a low powder charge will not burn, but explode.

Consult with reputable reloading manuals that have "reduced-charge" loads.

Experimentation outside established parameters may lead to unpleasant side effects.

Having said that, he who dares wins.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Every manual I've ever read has minimum and maximum load data. Do not exceed maximum or go below minimum. That said, there are many articles regarding a "reduced recoil" load for rifles and pistols. Google "reduced recoil rifle loading data" and I'll be you will find more than you want. They usually give you the "free recoil" specs for the average loads as well as the specs for a reduced load.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We depend on the powder to burn progressively at its designed burn rate. For years, I've heard that very light loads will simply detonate causing high pressures. I believed that and never pushed it.

After more than 4 decades of loading, my policy has never changed......If the load is not in a manual, I don't load it. I might add that the manuals change over time. My old time manuals specified magnum primers on many loads that specify standard primers now. The manuals have also gone to more conservative loads over the years.

I figure it this way: The powder and bullet companies spend millions of dollars researching loads that conform to SAAMI specifications. What kind of fool would take that information and tweak it on his own to second guess all of that research?

I know guys who load 110-120% over maximum loads and do it every day. I won't do that and I won't go under the minimum loads either.

Flash

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I load a shotgun powder in my pistol rounds. It's not published, but there's lots of guys using this powder for pistol.

:)

Sometimes it is safe to leave the tent.

Tapatalk sent it.

Top Bottom