• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEMAN_20

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2015
    I am going to buy my grown daughter a pistol. She has shot a 1911 and a couple of 22's. Otherwise she is not anexperienced shooter. I bought an XDs for my wife and I liked it a lot. She could shoot it fine but would not rack the slide. So I traded it off. She loves the XDm 45 so that is a problem solved. My daughter saw a LC9 and liked the looks. I have not shot 1 or really heard much about them. I know they are less expensive than the Xds. But before I buy I would like some input. Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Having owned both, I can tell you they are both great guns. Which LC9? There's two now. One is the newer LC9s (striker fired) and one is the original recessed hammer fired. The original is one of the best, and most accurate, subcompact pistols I've ever owned, but BEWARE of an extremely heavy, long double action only, trigger pull. I like that because I frequently carry via pocket when I carry it. But inexperienced or those with not as strong hands (trying not to be sexist here) might find that trigger a bit difficult in all honesty.

Now the LC9s has a trigger safety, MUCH lighter pull, and the similar ergonomics and would probably be the one I recommend if you went Ruger.

I kept the Ruger over the XD, but that's me. Either is a good, reliable firearm.

That being said, she'll have to shoot both before she knows. Although I wouldn't ever buy a gun based off looks alone. (here's looking at you 1911 peeps)

M2 Carbine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    I have several of both guns and also the LC9s.

The best thing would be for her to shoot both guns.

Untried, the LC9s should be OK.

Another one you might have her try is the Shield.
    I have several of them in 9mm and 40 S&W.
    Several lady friends have the 9mm Shields also and love the things.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Definitely add the Shield into the decision making process. When my wife was looking for her first pistol, she also settled on the Shield after putting a lot of subcompacts in her hand.

LINEMAN_20

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2015
    Thanks. I played with a shield this weekend. It points natural. Also a Taurus 709. It seemed ok at best. I didnt think it all compared to the XDs for finish. It is a lot cheaper though.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Thanks. I played with a shield this weekend. It points natural. Also a Taurus 709. It seemed ok at best. I didnt think it all compared to the XDs for finish. It is a lot cheaper though.

friends don't let friends buy Taurus

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    There's actually 3 different LC9 variants. The LC9, the "s", and the "s pro". I bought a LC9s pro a week ago and love it. It's more accurate than what I expected out of a pistol this size. I've put 200 problem free rounds through it so far.

OldMG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2014
    Killeen, Tx
    Have the XD, Sig, Taurus and LC9s all are nice shooters but have to admit the LC9s is my favorite for CC has a great trigger is light and functions well.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Go to a place where she can rent and shoot them. I didn't get to try the LC9s or XDS. I did try a nano, shield, LC9, glock 19, and a couple site eight .38s. I bought a shield in 9. My friend with the glock and nano wanted a shield too after shooting it. From what I hear, it's very similar to a XDS.

i also recently bought a bodyguard. It's really small. Long heavy trigger. It doesn't shoot good like the shield, but it's a smaller alternative. I did have to use the second strike capabilities on some rounds after the gun had about 120 rounds through it.

Couyon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NW of Austin
    The wife tried the Shield, Ruger, and the XDS. She chose the XDS because it felt better in her grip and she could rack the slide better. She shoots it very well after a few trips to the range.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We all seem to have the idea that you want to give your daughter a defensive handgun. What does she want and does she feel comfortable with the idea of shooting someone? My wife surprised me at the range when she preferred my Ruger P89 over the smaller guns I thought a 100 pound woman would pick.

LINEMAN_20

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2015
    I bought a XDS for my wife. She took my Xdm from me its now hers. I never thought she would want 45 much less be able to do double taps. But she can and confidence is key.

Daughter shot the Xdm a GP100 and a SW Airweight today. Also my 1911. Guess which 1 she liked best ... the XDm. So I guess I am searching for another.

oldjarhead56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Go to a place where she can rent and shoot them. I didn't get to try the LC9s or XDS. I did try a nano, shield, LC9, glock 19, and a couple site eight .38s. I bought a shield in 9. My friend with the glock and nano wanted a shield too after shooting it. From what I hear, it's very similar to a XDS.

i also recently bought a bodyguard. It's really small. Long heavy trigger. It doesn't shoot good like the shield, but it's a smaller alternative. I did have to use the second strike capabilities on some rounds after the gun had about 120 rounds through it.
    +1. Let her handle and dry fire some pistols at the gun store to see what she likes. Then go to gun range that might have some of the pistols she likes the best, then let her decide.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Between the XDs and the LC9, I would pick the Shield. :) But seriously, the XDs. I wanted an XDs, but bought a Shield 9mm because it was so much less expensive. I have no regrets as to that decision. But I still want an XDs. Maybe in .45 ACP tho.

Top Bottom