• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    How does one determine who the "owner" is? They aren't branded or tagged or anything, just askin'!
    Axis run rampant out here in West Kerr County and most fences won't hold them in. A friend and I watched two full grown Whitetail does jump an 8' fence from about 12' away, without a running start. I believe Axis can do better.

I wondered the same.
    I guess Hoji answered the question for us.
    DK Firearms

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Lol Hoji's post is only relevant for species like axis deer. It is completely irrelevant for the Exotics like a blesbok or nelgai or red stag or any other kind of African antelope that are raised here on exotic ranches. These animals certainly do have owners and it is a different situation than your typical Axis deer or feral hog.

Here is the relevant section:

Sec. 142.0021. OWNERSHIP OF EXOTIC WILDLIFE AND FOWL. A person may claim to be the owner of exotic livestock or exotic fowl under this chapter only if the animal is tagged, branded, banded, or marked in another conspicuous manner that can be read or identified from a long distance and that identifies the animal as being the property of the claimant.

Added by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 203, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1993.

Sec. 142.003. DISCOVERY OF ESTRAY; NOTICE. (a) If an estray, without being herded with other livestock, roams about the property of a person without that person's permission or roams about public property, the owner of the private property or the custodian of the public property, as applicable, shall, as soon as reasonably possible, report the presence of the estray to the sheriff of the county in which the estray is discovered.
    (b) After receiving a report under Subsection (a) of this section that an estray has been discovered on private property, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall notify the owner, if known, that the estray's location has been reported.
    (c) After receiving a report under Subsection (a) of this section that an estray has been discovered on public property, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall notify the owner, if known, that the estray's location has been reported, except that if the sheriff or his designee determines that the estray is dangerous to the public, he may immediately impound the estray without notifying the owner. If the owner does not immediately remove the estray, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall proceed with the impoundment process prescribed by Section 142.009 of this code.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    If there is an elk wandering around your property, do you really think walked down here from Montana? No. They escaped somebody's high fence Ranch. It belongs to somebody else. If it is not ear marked or branded do you need to notify anybody? Technically no, but use your best judgement. Be neighborly.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The estray section refers to cattle. I have called the estray unit of the Travis County Sherrifs department on a number of occasions when feral cows would be found on the preserves.

Foreign deer, antelope, etc are simply considered invasive species.

Plenty of low fence places in west Texas that have free range elk on them. Open season, no bag limit, and no call to the sheriff required.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hoji,

Given how good that they taste on the BBQ, IF a nilgai is seen on property where I have permission to hunt, he/she won't be running long, IF the 9.3x62 is in the truck.

yours, satx

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    All we have to do is wait. Government entities will make new laws covering things they can't control (and still can't after making laws). It all narrows down to a control issue, just my opinion. :green:
    All the more reason to view big liberal cities as a major threat to Texan way of life!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I ate P. antelope as a kid and couldn't choke it down.

As an adult I love the taste of wild game, be it deer of all kinds, feral pig, dove and quail, ducks and geese, but something tells me I'd still not like the taste of P. A.

Top Bottom