• ...and so much more!
  • Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    An exotic has escaped and is wandering around on your property. Do you take the shot or start making calls to find out its "owner"? Guess what I would've done.

32165712672_d381fce6be_b.jpg

Ok not really. We had an idea where it escaped from and we called them up. They said yes a few animals had escaped but gave us permission to shoot anything that came onto our property. Cheaper to lose the animal than to try and retrieve it. Awesome!

Looks great next to the others that actually were taken in Africa! lol

31938441130_c23dfaa3fe_b.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    One of my neighbors "harvested" a pronghorn antelope right here in the hood. I can only assume that it was an escapee from some nearby exotic ranch. I saw them dragging the body out of another neighbor's pasture & into their yard. I did not interact.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    One of my neighbors "harvested" a pronghorn antelope right here in the hood. I can only assume that it was an escapee from some nearby exotic ranch. I saw them dragging the body out of another neighbor's pasture & into their yard. I did not interact.

I would've been calling up the GW. Pronghorn is not an exotic and is a protected game species with a very small window of open season with lotto drawn tags. I believe what your neighbors did was actually a felony. lol

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    If it's not earmarked or otherwise ID'd then it's just a pronghorn. Falls under normal pronghorn regs. Exotic regs are slightly different in that they can be taken by any legal means as long as they are not branded, and once you've notified the sheriff and attempted to locate the "owner." Stupid how these exotics are considered "wild game" while high fenced and once they're out loose they're considered livestock. Ha!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Shoot it. We have Axis running around our place. Have seen a couple on my little 3 acres. Soon as I see one in a safe lane, it is going in the freezer.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Sheriff must be notified.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

relevant section:

[h=2]Exotic Animals and Fowl[/h]Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).

There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:

• Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
    • Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
    • Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
    • Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.
    Penalty: A person who violates these laws commits an offense. Hunting exotic wildlife without a license is a Class C misdemeanor ($25-$500 fine). The remaining listed offenses are Class A misdemeanors ($500-$4,000 and/or up to one year in jail).

Fail to see anything in the TPWD regs for shooting non native invasive deer on your own property.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Hoji is correct. There are thousands of "non-native" Axis deer roaming Western Kerr county. They are pretty much fair game if they are on your property. You must have a hunting license to hunt anything in Texas but for Axis, there is no specified season, limit number, etc., etc. And they are very tasty! :green:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    What about this part...

"Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent"?
    it is the land owner. Axis deer ( and other ungulates that are non natives, such as hogs)are considered the property of the landowner that they are on.

When I worked for the City of Austin doing wildlife management I would get bombarded with calls and emails about people wanting the city,county, state to kill the feral pigs, axis deer, blackbuck antelope etc on their property. The answer from all three agencies was and is " if they are on your property, they are yours and your problem" we would then put them in touch with Wildlife Services to consult on methods of removal or exclusion.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    What about this part...

"Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent"?

How does one determine who the "owner" is? They aren't branded or tagged or anything, just askin'!
    Axis run rampant out here in West Kerr County and most fences won't hold them in. A friend and I watched two full grown Whitetail does jump an 8' fence from about 12' away, without a running start. I believe Axis can do better.

Top Bottom