• ...and so much more!
  • MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have a friend who was a fighter pilot in WWII. He has a CHL and I never thought to ask him anything about it. Today I went to the sporting goods with him because he wanted to buy a S&W that was on sale. Hell, I ended up getting me one too...
    I asked the store people if he gets a WWII discount, nope they said.. .
    To make a long story short, I noticed he had renewed the CHL a couple of years ago.
    I also found out he was told he had to take the CHL training. He was also charged the full $140 or so from the state!
    Should he have to take the class, and shouldnt he get a discount from the state " tax" for the license?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    He needed to include a copy of his DD-214 and fill out the proper discount rate on the application. You might write your local legislature rep and see if they can't rebate his previous CHL fees, out of principle.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I asked the store people if he gets a WWII discount, nope they said.. .

As a retailer you can't really discount guns. There's maybe $50 in profit on a sale of a handgun, and if it's on sale, you're down to $20 - 30 if that.

While it's good to give veterans discounts, at some point you have to draw the line. Alot of the gun community are vets, and business's have to make money to survive. You can't really say that his sacrifice was any more or less than a guy in the jungles of Vietnam or the streets of Fallujah. Most vets understand, but I still try to take care of them if I can.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    As a retailer you can't really discount guns. There's maybe $50 in profit on a sale of a handgun, and if it's on sale, you're down to $20 - 30 if that.

While it's good to give veterans discounts, at some point you have to draw the line. Alot of the gun community are vets, and business's have to make money to survive. You can't really say that his sacrifice was any more or less than a guy in the jungles of Vietnam or the streets of Fallujah. Most vets understand, but I still try to take care of them if I can.
    Shoot, I figured they made at least 40% off the sale of guns and ammo.
    But yea, the understanding part by vets is something I always admire.
    Although there is quite a bit that those guy's, especially the WWII guy's, dont understand and a lot of their opinion is where I get my " opinion".
    Such as the man im talking about. He severed his country as a fighter pilot, getting his base bombed, crashing and burning, with one thought on his mind. The thought of defending this great county and what this country stands for. The nix check really doesnt offend him, but that CHL he had to buy is the most offensive thing to that 88 year old man as an American Citizen.
    I try my best Not to discuss rights issues with him because that old man gets boiling mad!
    At the age of 88, I try my best to be all ears. Listen to the wisdom but dont fuel the fire. He has a lot to tell and I hope he makes it for many year to come.
    The experiance he had in WWII is something I have wrote down everytime he mentioned anything.
    Gun's, you should hear his opinion as to what guns are for.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What about the class requirement?
    Sorry for all the question, as you are aware, im not much for both of these subjects.

No one gets out of the class requirement because of status except law enforcement, whom takes an abbreviated course I think? You can after 3 renewals not take the class again, but honestly, it's in your best interest to take it as laws change. Just look at how much they changed between 2007 and today.

Class rates are set by the instructor.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Shoot, I figured they made at least 40% off the sale of guns and ammo.

Guns are running about a 7% margin, unless they are used, that's where you can barter on a gun. Ammo runs anywhere from 10% to 30% (or more) depending on what it is and where you buy it. Some places like Cabela's might sell ammo at a loss to get you in the door, and many small shops don't get the same deals as the bigger box stores.

The WWII generation is a great generation, I love to listen to them. I met a couple vets at Red's and talked to them for hours.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    He needed to include a copy of his DD-214 and fill out the proper discount rate on the application. You might write your local legislature rep and see if they can't rebate his previous CHL fees, out of principle.

The only discount is if you get it in your first 365 days after discharge and its free. but starting day 366 you pay full price. He should be able to get the seinor citizen discount.

Top Bottom