• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I bought this thing summer '09 to save gas and have really enjoyed driving it. The only thing I really hate is the highway steering. Most cars you can drive with one finger gently making minor direction adjustments. With this car, once you hold the wheel in a position a little 'friction grab' takes place and to make the next adjustment you have to pop it out of the grab. Even after @40K miles, I'm still amazed at the torque that the engine produces.

Most cars don't have good front suspension geometry and have really short scrub radii. That leads to a really shitty steering feedback and fast turning at speed.

I personally would opt for white TE37s in a 17x8" in a high offset (+40) and put a 235/40/17 Dunlop StarSpec or Bridgestone RE-11 on it. It'd handle phenomenal compared to OEM, well ... if you can keep it from plowing through every corner.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Supposedly it is 129, I've done 108 ish passing people in 5th around 6500.
    Our numbers don't jive. I ran 120mph @ 6K rpm when I ran out of room to redline it. Mine is an '03 with the 2.0L engine.

Most cars don't have good front suspension geometry and have really short scrub radii. That leads to a really shitty steering feedback and fast turning at speed.

I personally would opt for white TE37s in a 17x8" in a high offset (+40) and put a 235/40/17 Dunlop StarSpec or Bridgestone RE-11 on it. It'd handle phenomenal compared to OEM, well ... if you can keep it from plowing through every corner.
    But what about that 'friction grab' during highway driving, any explanation?

And as for the tire/wheel combo, you and High-Cap don't seem to understand not wanting to spend a bunch of money ;-)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    You understand the friction feels like it is in the steering wheel?

Did it with the tires that came on the car. Does it now with 4 new tires and after rotation(s).

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You understand the friction feels like it is in the steering wheel?

Did it with the tires that came on the car. Does it now with 4 new tires and after rotation(s).

What centers the steering wheel is "align torque." It has a lot to do with the tire itself, it's construction and specifications. A shorter sidewall tire with a more rigid carcass will have more align torque for a given geometry. That's why they are "more responsive" as well. Suspension geometry also plays a big role in align torque.

Have you had the car on an alignment rack lately? Do the old tires show any preponderance of wear on a particular part of the tire?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Never had the car on an alignment rack.

Not at the car now and haven't physically checked the tires lately but it does sound like they are cupping. I'm sure they're due for rotation.

Tire profile is OEM. I don't want the harsh ride of a low profile set.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Never had the car on an alignment rack.

Not at the car now and haven't physically checked the tires lately but it does sound like they are cupping. I'm sure they're due for rotation.

Tire profile is OEM. I don't want the harsh ride of a low profile set.

Cupping is a pressure issue. If the wear is on the edges (both) it's low pressure, and in the middle is high pressure.

Top Bottom