• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    So its 3:30am, I live in an apartment complex (quite a few robberies, lot of drunk college kids and crazies running around here) and I'm up late because I had surgery on my nose a little over a week ago, and I've been staying up late working from home and my hours are backwards. I needed to walk out to the car to grab some paper work, and I always carry my pistol with me when I walk to my car at night just for "who knows" scenarios...you can't plan.

And since I added that new viridian attachment, my old conceal holster doesn't fit anymore...I have a custom one being made, but it wont be here for another 8 weeks, so for now...I don't have a holster unless I detatch my green laser. Well, I'll be damn, after all this talk about when to pull, and when not to pull, a similar situation arises with what we have been talking about. So since I have no holster right now, I just put the pistol in my left front pocket of my cargo shorts, the butt of the handle was just barely sticking out of the pocket, so I pulled my shirt over and it concealed. So I walked to car and as I'm in my trunk, I hear a lot of yelling and about 10 -15 guys in there 20's, with a few few girls, coming down the stairs.

Not typically a big deal, but they are obviously aggravated and pumped up about something. Its not my first rodeo and I know exactly what is in the process of going down. I'm still not too concerned (but I'm cautious), I just need to get by them and they are all standing in the hallway that I need to walk through to get back to my apt.

Well, typically I wouldn't think anything about it. None of my business..I'd just walk through, but all of them are staring at me and I can hear people talking and pumping themselves up contrasted with people scared signaling there is a problem. I'm typically a little less nervous in this situation, but my nose has 3 inch splints in it to fix an old broken nose to help me breathe better and its ridiculously sensitive to even touch. So I definitely dont want to get in a fight right now, especially with 15 guys. Well I walk past a few and kind of * nod hello" and then some steroid guy with his shirt off, obviously drunk goes "Is this the mother fucker right here" and points at me.

My hand naturally gripped my gun and flipped the safety off, but kept it in my pocket.( I have a Beretta Px4 Storm, full sized so clicking the safety off keeps it in Double Action mode and safe in my pocket with my finger off the trigger) I think the butt might of been sticking out a little while it was in my hand. I'm not sure, but I tried to keep it in my pocket and then walk around them to position myself so I wasn't in the middle of them with my back to anybody.

I just looked the guy sqaure in the eye and said "nah, bro..I'm not sure what you're talking about..I was just getting some stuff out of my car." in an assertive but non aggressive voice. I maintained eye contact and he turned to his friend and he said something under his breath, Im not sure. No biggie. I just kept waking, and then when I was half way to my door, I thought I heard some one say something about a gun like "where is your gun." (Initially, I thought he said "where is YOUR gun", which concerned me...in hindsight I think he was telling the roided up guy that I had a gun)

Well my apt is on the other side of the entrance, where the other stairs are (they were blocking the opposite end, which is where I had to walk through to get to mine)..and all of a sudden like 6 dudes rush down the stairs near my door, with shirts off and at me from the other side, right by my apartment right as I'm opening my door...so I opened my door and pulled my pistol out in a ready stance at my chest as I closed the door. I guess they were rushing at the other people...and then someone knocked on my door.

I looked through peephole and it was a scared looking kid so I opened it and and had my gun out, by at my chest, but behind the door where he couldn't see it. (I had it so that I could either open and it would be pointed at him, or if he tried to open it...it would be pointing at him.)It turns out to be a younger kid said, a nice looking kid and he says. "Hey man, sorry we are bothering you...these two guys are drunk and trying to start fights with everybody. I said "do they live here" and they said "No" I said do you live here?" and he said "no" and he said, "We are trying to get him out of here, I just don't want anyone getting hurt or you shooting him or anything".

(So I guess him (or one of this friends) noticed my pistol either when I walked through the group of them when "no shirt" was screaming at me "Is this the mother fucker". Or maybe they saw me pull it out when I stepped in and closed the door when 5 of them rushed down the stairs directly at me.

Any way, I said.. "I don't want anyone to get hurt either, but you got a crazy drunk guy running around here a little to amped up and talking to strangers a little aggressively. I got a wife and two kids inside, and I don't want this kind of crap going on outside my house, especially at 3 am with drunk guys who may or may not do something stupid." He was like, "yeah we know, I'm sorry, we want him to just leave". So I said "You seem like you got a good head on your shoulders, go calm him down and get him out of here...Im going to hang out by my door and give you a chance to calm who ever he is down and get him out of here...I've been young before, but if I hear anything else or it escalates again, I'm calling the cops."

And I said "just as an FYI for you, I don't know whats happening, but if anyone brings anything crazy to my door because I'm calling the cops, or any other reason.....well.... like I said you seem like a smart guy, don't let anyone do anything stupid please." He was like "Ok man, thanks...we will, i'll get him out of here, thanks so much" and then some girls down the hall said "sorry". I don't remember if I even responded but if I did it was something like "its ok, its just time for everyone to go home. After that I heard the kid I talked to run up the stairs and say something like "Come on guys, the cops are coming the neighbors have guns we need to GO!" Or something like that and then people started shuffling off, cars started driving off and then everything got really quiet, I waited by my door with it locked for about 10 minutes...and it all died down.

Little unexpected, surprisingly I was up reading some threads here, which is why I decided to share it. Obviously nothing bad happened, and everything worked out. Im actually glad I've read a few threads on here. In a non verbal idea, some of the things we discussed about when to pull out a pistol and why you shouldn't and a lot of non verbal but general ideas where quickly flashing through my head.

It kind of reminded me how little time there is to think through what you are doing in the middle of some things. The best thing is to have some general principals and guidelines in your head ahead of time. Anyway, again, nothing big but thought it might be worth sharing before I go to bed.
    DK Firearms

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Glad you were thinking and no harm came to you or your family, this is one of the many reasons I do not like apartment homes unfortunately I've still gotta deal with it for now.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    My Brother, who lives in Houston, went to College there and went to work for NASA, retired, once told me, "Life it too short to live it in Houston" !

mucho12ga

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Houston
    Just curious, but why did you disengage the safety of your gun while it was in your pocket? Was it a sao like a 1911? Imho you should include that part in your draw practice.

Glad the situation didn't worsen.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Seems things went well. Good practice to call the cops anyway, non emergency line, "Hey, couple of guys trying to start fights here outside my aparment. Some of the guys rushed at me as I was returning to my apartment and I'm locked in here and don't feel safe leaving because of them. They seem disorderly and drinking." to start a log of events that may have gotten worse.

Also, I don't see the reason that you opened your door. There is no reason do dialog with anyone. They could be distractions baiting you into trouble.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    ..... you should include that part in your draw practice.

I second that. When adrenaline starts squirting out your ears and the tunnel vision kicks in, the last thing you want is a weapon off-safety if you are not intending on pulling the trigger.

Also, think about this: you should have dialed 911 as soon as you were inside. You might have saved someone's life or at least their health by having the cops break up the nonsense. It is up to you whether you wanted to file a report for the Disorderly Conduct committed (the MF part, uttered where you or someone else might be offended). Incidents like that seldom just go away peacefully by themselves.

Edited to add: LOL looks like Matefrio and I have the same idea on it. We both clicked REPLY at the same time!

leftyonly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Tomball
    Nothing good happens after midnight...

Glad things turned out OK...

The presence of your gun is just an aside in this one....I don't mean to sound harsh, but IMO you made some poor choices in this situation.
    Starting with going to get something from the trunk of your car in an apartment complex at 3:30am...

Second, when rowdy group of drunks came outside you chose to wade through them...

Third, answering/opening your door to have a conversation with one of them...

Fourth, not calling the to report the situation...(This one is a judgement call on your part, but it sounds like a report to a non-emergency number may have been in justified here...)

It would be interesting to know if you can honestly say whether you would have made all of these decisions if the gun was removed from the equation...If you can't....

Also...I want to know what type of gun that you clicked the safety off of while in your pocket...if it is an SA gun thats a bit scary....

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW

The presence of your gun is just an aside in this one....I don't mean to sound harsh, but IMO you made some poor choices in this situation.
    Starting with going to get something from the trunk of your car in an apartment complex at 3:30am... Seriously??

Second, when rowdy group of drunks came outside you chose to wade through them...Again, seriously??

Third, answering/opening your door to have a conversation with one of them...Agreed.

Fourth, not calling the to report the situation...(This one is a judgement call on your part, but it sounds like a report to a non-emergency number may have been in justified here...)To each their own.

It would be interesting to know if you can honestly say whether you would have made all of these the same decisions if the gun was removed from the equation...If you can't....Why remove it from the equation? This is not a scenario, it happened.

Just my opinion of course.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston

Starting with going to get something from the trunk of your car in an apartment complex at 3:30am...

Like I said, I just had surgery and have been working weird hours. We were launching a new product and one of the devopers live in India. So I had to stay up late until he was online to chat with him live. He needed some information and I had it in the trunk of my car, so I went and got it.

Second, when rowdy group of drunks came outside you chose to wade through them...
    To quote myself, I said "....I tried to keep it in my pocket and then walk around them so I wasn't in the middle of them with my back to anybody."

I didn't wade through the middle of them, I walked around the circle, as best I could...until I had to cut through to the opening to get entrance to the hallway that my door is on. There was no other choice, this is the only way in really. And like I said, until the guy said "Is this the mother fucker" it was just a group of loud people I planned on passing through to my house.

Third, answering/opening your door to have a conversation with one of them...

Yeah, this could of been a bad decision....which is why I had my pistol out already. But this was a, sorry for profiling, scared looking nerdy guy...and I wanted to know what was going on outside my house. Cops aren't always a "quick" thing around here...you never know...and my daughters room (and windows) are the closest room to the door and hallway they could be doing something in. Im not saying anything I did was the BEST move, but that was my point. In the middle of stuff, you have less time to analyze and think stuff out. Protective sides of you come out and sometimes cloud or overtake emotions in you that err on the side of caution.

Fourth, not calling the to report the situation...(This one is a judgement call on your part, but it sounds like a report to a non-emergency number may have been in justified here...)
    Yeah, after talking to the guy...it seems like there was only one or two idiots...and a lot of kids being kids who didn't 'want it to happen and were trying to fix it. I told the kid I'd give him a shot at getting his friends home. And it looks like he did. I stayed by door, with it locked for 10 minutes and phone in my hand just in case...but turns out not calling was ok and I didn't take cops off duty for a solved situation when they could be used elsewhere.

It would be interesting to know if you can honestly say whether you would have made all of these decisions if the gun was removed from the equation...If you can't....
    Yeah, thats kind of my point. And other factors in my decisionshad play, you don't account for. My mild insecurity from my nose injury, being really tired and focused on work for last 5 hours late at night. Fear for my daughters room being so close, etc.

Also...I want to know what type of gun that you clicked the safety off of while in your pocket...if it is an SA gun thats a bit scary....

No, it is a DA for first shot unless I cock back hammer. I have a Beretta Px4 Storm and safety decocks hammer. Thats why I took it off safety, finger off trigger, so if something happened fast..it was one less thing I had to worry about doing.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Sounds like a great reason to move! Good on you for being prepared.

Not sure if you live in Houston, but you'd have to move pretty far to get away from that kinda stuff. Unless of course you are rich then you can live in rich people land on the other side of the freeway where they see a bug on the street and someone loses their job.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston

....I don't mean to sound harsh, but IMO you made some poor choices in this situation.

I get what you are saying, but I wouldn't call going to your car at 3 am a poor choice. I mean, was going to the car a poor choice, or was the time of day a poor choice? Because for some people, 3am is just like 3pm to the average person. I happen to be one of those people. For me to come and go at all hours of the day/night, is a pretty common thing. To not do that would be to not live my life, pretty much. I've always been that way, either voluntarily (just because I am a night person, not a drinker and don't go to bars, but just like the city better when less people are out and about), or because I worked insane and unpredictable hours.

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    Wow is right! Scary situation, and it sounds like you handled it well. I hope I can be that cool and calm should I experience anything like that. Good for you.

Top Bottom