Hurley's Gold

Would you work full time at a gun range/shop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    Discuss....

I've worked at a shooting range starting out part time and once I got laid off at my regular job, got hired back as a shift boss. It was a dream job: Free range time, discount on gun stuff and BSing with customers.

I miss it....discuss...would you?
    DK Firearms

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Used to be a State RSO at a range off post while in the military loved it, would love to do it again. Eventually i plan on opening a shop if not a range also.

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Umm.... Its give and take for me.

Ive done it and it had a lot of positives!... LIke you mentioned, range time, discounts, reloaded my own ammo from everyone dropping their brass, met some very nice people and great contacts.

The bad, Some customers are just ANNOYiNG... good god, i can't stand some people. I spent more money than i made at the shop too!... lol... I did not make nearly enought to actually work there, i gave them a bigger check everymonth then they gave me!... luckly i was making money elsewhere.

I also have a hard time biting my tounge when i hear something stupid... which may be a good thing in a gun shop, i konw my boss appreciated it because i would help kill rumors... probably the most common "You don't have to even aim with a shotgun" or "The sound will scare the perp away"... Jesus.... there was some DUMB stuff lol.

its a toss up... if they had a good range, had a well stocked shop and had a good reputation with an owner who CARED about how they come across to the customer... I think i would go back to it.

JOe

kfog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Houston
    The bad, Some customers are just ANNOYiNG... good god, i can't stand some people. I spent more money than i made at the shop too!... lol... I did not make nearly enought to actually work there, i gave them a bigger check everymonth then they gave me!... luckly i was making money elsewhere.

hit the nail on the head here. i currently sell guns while finishing up college, and although i love most all aspects of it, the annoying customers are the WORST

and not getting much of a paycheck is rough, but thats my fault because some of the discounts are fantastic

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    I would work at a range/shop in a heartbeat, only part time though, I have a good paying job at the hospital right now. But yea for discounts, knowledge, and range time I would love it.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I would work part time at one and have thought about it since I work shift work and could work on my days off. But if the pay was good enough yeah I would work full time at one.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Ok right this is a trick question, am I on candid camera.
    OH YAH I'd work at a gun range. Like you it would be a dream come true. Free range time and discounts on product and ammo. Particularly the ammo. Cost of that stuff just keeps going up, that would be a big budget saver.

Dirt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Nowheresville, Tx
    The Garland Public Shooting Range has a "Help Wanted" sign up, for full and part-time. Not sure what the requirements are. I would love to work there part time for the perks, but absolutely dont have the time to do so!

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    The only thing keeping me from working at a range is the pay. I'd have to make, at least, enough to pay my bills, which isnt much, and that makes this deal that much more sad. LOL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    The only thing keeping me from working at a range is the pay. I'd have to make, at least, enough to pay my bills, which isnt much, and that makes this deal that much more sad. LOL

Then when you put in some seniority...being a manager of a range/shop would definitely pay the bills and more.

When I worked as a range officer, I got promoted as a shift boss...therefore more pay. But the range that I worked at was making almost 2-6K a day...I did the register every night. So there's money there, but it's all about location, location, location. That's what made the place I worked at a success.

Yeah, the best part was that every employee knew the gun laws and shot a lot...so we practiced what we preached.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I wish I could work part time weekends at a range. I actually would like to learn from an old gun smithing pro, I always like to tinker with parts,machines, tools etc. Only one thing mentioned before are the customers. Im sure Allan has lots of stories to share?

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Then when you put in some seniority...being a manager of a range/shop would definitely pay the bills and more.

When I worked as a range officer, I got promoted as a shift boss...therefore more pay. But the range that I worked at was making almost 2-6K a day...I did the register every night. So there's money there, but it's all about location, location, location. That's what made the place I worked at a success.

Yeah, the best part was that every employee knew the gun laws and shot a lot...so we practiced what we preached.

Sounds good but its the time necessary to getting the Manager position that would have me living under the bridge for awhile. I applied at The Bullet Trap a couple of years ago and I know they're a great operation (probably around the same revenue, if not higher) but they didnt call me back for about 4 months and I had already found a great job. I'm also not in the same position I was in back then that would have afforded me the ability to make not so much money until Managership. As low as my monthly bills are now, making anywhere near minimum wage just isnt an option for any length of time for me. I think I'll be alright anyway. LOL

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I worked for a large gun shop in Chicago in the 60's. The place had an indoor range and it was really cool to work there. There was a story to remember every day.

The boss had a Polar Bear stuffed from one of his many hunts. I saw those expeditions on TV and imagined the great white hunter bringing down the bear with a single well placed shot. One day my curiosity got the better of me so I asked a long term employee about the bear. He smiled, gave and laugh and told me the truth. The boss took 17 shots to bring that bear down.

I saw one guy shooting a pistol and the safest place in the range was directly in front of him! He hit the ceiling, floor, wall...........scary stuff!

Another guy was shooting a pistol with the biggest fireball I've ever seen coming from a handgun. It was one of those Hi Standard .22 magnum Derringers.

A brinks guard used to come down there and fire rapid fire his .357 mag revolver "123456". The center of the target was always gone. Yup, it sure impressed me!

In all, it was a great job where I made $2.00/hour. A gallon of gasoline and pack of smokes were 25 cents each. I had a horny girlfriend and a 1956 Ford. Life was good!

Flash

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Not just no, but HELL no.

I say that because I fly for a living. I used to fly for fun. I worked as a lifeguard in highschool and college to pay for my Private Pilot License, about every 2 days of work bought me an hour in the air. Best money I ever spent, hands down.
    Now flying is my job. As a job, it doesn't get any better, a litteral dream come true. But when I get home after 12-16 hours mission planning, flying, debriefing, etc, the last thing I want to do for fun is go fly. I haven't rented an airplane for recreation in over 3 years.

I have guns for fun now. The last thing I want to do is ruin another hobby by getting paid to do it.

Top Bottom