• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Found what appears to be a very nice deal on a firearm but the seller is adamant, as in zero wiggle room, on a BOS. Mind you this is not a 75% or 50% off MSRP deal, but it is a good deal.

Is there a point at which a deal is worth you completing a BOS?
    Target Sports

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Probably not.

However I would offer him to have a look at my CHL, not copy down, or memorize, just show him I have one. Then pull out the cash and say, here is money if you want it lets do the deal without anymore discussion.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Name only, with zero other information, sure. It's just a piece of paper. If he wanted ANY other information, forget it.
    Just my .02

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Think about it, 99.9% of the time they go in someone's filing cabinet never to be seen again, but then again how much personal information do you want to give someone?

If it was a really, really good deal on a firearm that I really, really wanted, I might consider it; but then again the $35,000 question is what other info does the seller want?

Honestly, given the current laws in Texas, there is no requirement for a bill of sale nor do they offer any "protection" to either party.

But these days, with gun prices going up, it's kinda tough to walk away from a great deal!

Good luck with your decision...

Cheers! M2

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Rule #1 in this hobby/game/pasttime is never fall in love with the gun. If the deal goes south, be prepared to walk away right up to the point of conclusion of the sale. If the seller is hard ass or unpleasant, my alarm bells go off and I'll walk. At that point, I wouldn't buy the gun if it cost $5. NOTHING could make me deal with the guy.

Summed up, If I feel the least bit uneasy about the seller, I will not do business with him at all. Demanding anything including unreasonable paperwork or PICTURES of my ID's are way over the top. If you'll do that, then why not tack copies of your DL and CHL to telephone poles?

One other thing is forbidden in my deals. At some of the gun shows, if you select a gun for purchase, they TAKE your ID's until someone is available to do your paperwork. My ID's never leave my sight. If I walk away, my ID's go with me. If one of those venders lose my ID, I have no recourse. They'll just say "SORRY" or deny that they lost my ID. It is MY responsibility to keep track of my ID's and I won't relinquish that to/for anyone.

At Academy, they like to fill out paperwork with my ID's and leave them laying on the counter until a manager comes to approve the sale. I demand that the ID's be returned to me until the boss arrives. I always tell them "If that ID is not IN YOUR HAND, then I want it RETURNED TO MY HAND. DO NOT LAY IT DOWN!". Again, it is MY responsibility to take care of my ID's!

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Despite the fact most of my time here is spent screwing around, I am observing, reading, and definitely learning from y'all. I'm not going to bad mouth the man since he is entitled to his own opinion. I may even point him to this site/thread in hopes of opening his mind. For that reason, I won't go into all the details of why he insists on a BOS.

I tried every ploy y'all mentioned here plus some more. I tried to explain that a BOS is not required to no avail. He essentially wants the info from DL or CHL written on his form which also includes a line saying 'I am not a felon'. When he asked if I was a felon and I answered 'I have a CHL' he clearly took that as a positive. It will then be kept in his safe for his CYA.

I even turned the scenario around saying I'm the seller and require all the same info for you to buy my gun. What assurance do you have I won't use that info for bad things? He was unphased in his opinion.

I guess the only good thing out of this is unlike the old days, I did it all from the relative comfort of my tent and it didn't cost any gas. :cool:

'preciate it guys.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I won't sell a gun w/o a bill of sale. In all the years, I have only had 1 guy refuse. I did not sell the gun to him.

Always had everyone happy to have a copy for themselves as well.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    A BOS doesn't phase me. I sell a car...BOS, trailer, BOS.... I would abolutely not refuse a BOS if the seller wanted to do a BOS on which his contact info was going on too and I got a copy. It depends on the mood I'm in weather or not I want to write up a BOS on the items I sell. most of the time, a TX DL, preferably a CHL will make me happy.

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    I have done the B.O.S.. I have done it as the buyer and the seller. It's just CYA. I bought a used gun at a pawnshop (on a 4473 of course), I sold the gun to a dealer on a trade in. He sold the gun to someone else. It came back as stolen in a traffic stop. The buyer told the P.D. where it was purchased. P.D. goes to the dealer, P.D. back to me. An investigator called me and asked me where I obtained the weapon. I told him it was purchased at a local pawnshop. He did not believe me. He called me in to interview me regarding "my role" in this stolen weapon. He asked me when I got it. From who I got it. Which pawnshop I "purchased" at condescendingly. I let him speak and after an incredulous glare on my part, I turned over the purchase receipt and a copy of my personal log book. Talk about guilty until proven innocent. That's why I do B.O.S. CHL holder, I don't, D.L. only, I do.
    I know that this is different from FTF sales. I felt that the officer superceded his position and was trying to intimidate me by his demeanor. I'm not easily intimidated. I am patient. That's why I let him pull his B.S. then proceeded to produce the receipt at the end.
    This could have turned out differently.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom