Gun Zone Deals

Would you be afraid to carry a S&W with a lock not fixed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Pre locks are expensive, leaving me with Ruger or Charter Arms.

My ffl says don't be a pu$$y BUT his handcannons(460, 480, 500, etc)have locks and he's a hell of a shot(single handed double action ringing 6" steel when we had one five out of five times).

I haven't asked if anyone has experienced a lock out but who knows, I might, the NP doubled somed of my meds and I got lots of energy this evening!

Thanks
    Mike

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Have one that the lock froze up on while shooting. Was able to get it unstuck and have not deleted the lock yet.

As far as carrying a lock deleted S&W, I probably would not. ( in public any way, hunting/hiking/fishing is a different story)Having some shit weasel soros DA croon to a jury of retards about how I deleted/removed a factory installed safety device on a gun I used to stop a home invader/car jacker/ agg assault etc and have those drooling mouth breathers convict me on that is a concern.

I have plenty of other options for revolver carry that don’t have locks.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    On normal calibered guns it’s a non-issue.
    On the big heavy caliber or uber light weight guns it might be an issue. Just test it thoroughly.
    It’s a simple fix to remove the lock if your nervous about it.
    I personally have never had the lock engage during firing.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Take an oath to protect and defend the constitution of the States.

Spend a career raping and shredding her.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I've never owned a S&W with the lock but, I personally saw 3 of them lock up while being fired. This was at our range back in SC. One was a 317 22LR, one was a 500 Magnum, one was a J frame 38 maybe a 642.

All three locked up while in use. I figured recoil moved the lock into the locked position until it happened with the 317.

I prefer my S&W's made before 1982 but, I do have a 442 with no lock.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The locks are a non issue.

Get what you like and test it thoroughly.

The odds of getting bad ammo are a much bigger concern than the lock.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    id rather have a no lock gun myself, modern smith and wesson qc being shitty not withstanding.

10-96inTexas

Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    It's not whether the lock works or not but why the h... do we have the lock in the first place. Just buy a pre lock and forget about it. Dead issue. No issue.

Absalom McCaslan

Aug 16, 2009
    Dallas
    Thirty-seven years in law enforcement in a big city and I never heard of a case where the deactivation of a pistol lock was considered in a self-defense shooting. If I'm wrong, I'd welcome a legitimate documentation of such a circumstance or the citing of a law that prohibits such alteration as a criminal offense. Like so many internet rumors this is largely bunk in my opinion. We gun-owners have enough threats to our 2nd Amendment rights without adding such paranoia to authentic concerns.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It’s a simple process to disable the lock.
    There are several DIY videos over on YoutubeZ. Just remove the one piece and it cannot lock again.
    Somewhere out there are key hole cover plates to plug the outer hole. I’ve never messed with them. Kinda spendy if I remember correctly.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Thirty-seven years in law enforcement in a big city and I never heard of a case where the deactivation of a pistol lock was considered in a self-defense shooting. If I'm wrong, I'd welcome a legitimate documentation of such a circumstance or the citing of a law that prohibits such alteration as a criminal offense. Like so many internet rumors this is largely bunk in my opinion. We gun-owners have enough threats to our 2nd Amendment rights without adding such paranoia to authentic concerns.
    I volunteer you to be the first test case. Kudos to you for living in the metroplex where pulling a politically motivated leftist DA is a real possibility. You're starting ahead of the curve.

Absalom McCaslan

Aug 16, 2009
    Dallas
    I volunteer you to be the first test case. Kudos to you for living in the metroplex where pulling a politically motivated leftist DA is a real possibility. You're starting ahead of the curve.
    As there is no criminal statute prohibiting the removal of the locks, this would not fall within the purview of a District Attorney, Leftist or not, whose authority is granted for the purpose of prosecuting criminal cases. And what in the world gives you the right to volunteer me for anything?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    As there is no criminal statute prohibiting the removal of the locks, this would not fall within the purview of a District Attorney, Leftist or not, whose authority is granted for the purpose of prosecuting criminal cases. And what in the world gives you the right to volunteer me for anything?
    Daniel Perry is a pretty good example to how far a Soros backed DA will go to railroad a citizen that dares to defend himself.

While not a deleted lock case, the lengths these communist goblins will go is absolutely appalling, and if they thought it would sway a group of jurors , they would damned well introduce it.

Absalom McCaslan

Aug 16, 2009
    Dallas
    Daniel Perry is a pretty good example to how far a Soros backed DA will go to railroad a citizen that dares to defend himself.

While not a deleted lock case, the lengths these communist goblins will go is absolutely appalling, and if they thought it would sway a group of jurors , they would damned well introduce it.
    The Daniel Perry case has no relationship to the original poster's question. Yes, leftist DA's are asshats, but you have totally changed the context to suit your desire to argue...you have a nice day.

Top Bottom