• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Col. Plink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    texas
    Hey y'all,
    I'm a certified instructor of Shaolin Kempo Karate and would love to barter services with a CHL instructor. Let's make us both better at self-defense!

Respond with interest and what you charge or your class (Austin area please) and I can let you know how many private training sessions I can offer.

Empty-handed and weapon defense techniques, and training in martial arts weaponry, available for trade. Thanks!
    Texas SOT

Col. Plink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    texas
    www.vdragon.com

Hey y'all,

CHL class fees are requested so I know how many personal training sessions I can offer (your time is worth money, as is mine; I guess in this case barter can be viewed as an alternate means of purchasing the value attached to goods and services. Ain't life grand?!)

Feel free to message me on [url]www.texasguntrader.com[/URL] (where I'm known as 'colonelplink') with inquiries, offers.

Thanks!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Don't blame ya, TI - frankly, any interest I MIGHT have had in what he has to offer would be negated by the 'tude....after all, his rates/fee structures SHOULD be transparent, I'd think.

Col. Plink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    texas
    No "'tude", just a respectful request to discuss personal business privately (didn't even ask for others' rates first; anyone who responds can have mine first if they like).

Just a request for information and an offer to negotiate in kind for those interested.

If it's not your thing, why bother responding?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, because your initial query wanted to know the instructors rates so you could tell them what kind of trade would be involved, rather than wanting information as to their course, etc. - so yeah, you DID request the respondents rates first.

When someone comes in with their first post to promote their business......I get kinda curious and tend to become pretty aggressive. But I appreciate knowing the way your thought process works.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Well, like someone else said recently, I don't want to get involved and this question doesn't partain to me, but I have a strong opinion about it.

In short, I thought we Texans were better than most.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hey y'all,
    I'm a certified instructor of Shaolin Kempo Karate and would love to barter services with a CHL instructor. Let's make us both better at self-defense!

Respond with interest and what you charge or your class (Austin area please) and I can let you know how many private training sessions I can offer.

Empty-handed and weapon defense techniques, and training in martial arts weaponry, available for trade. Thanks!

Interesting trade. (Assuming you were down the street) I'd be interested in a barter for holsters. I don't mind trading my leatherwork for quality instruction or parts for things I am interested. I may be able to provide something useful and receive something useful in return.

Well the OP may have stepped on toes as far as introduction or proper courtesies but the overall premise is nice and well, basic. When it comes right down to it in this economic situation we find ourselves in it seems fairly structural to offer one service in return for another. I find it nice to get to roots and a handshake instead of these extravagant binds we find ourselves tiptoeing these days.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Am exchange of services is beneficial to both parties. Keep in mind the courtesies and we'll all be ok Afterall, we all talk big online but get us all in person and well, the best friends a person could ask for.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    . . .
    Am exchange of services is beneficial to both parties. Keep in mind the courtesies and we'll all be ok Afterall, we all talk big online but get us all in person and well, the best friends a person could ask for.

But I am big in real life, . . . thats kind of the problem. : /

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Shorts..I should have known you would put it better than I could. I had a whole page typed and decided "I" was gonna step on some toes. I hate tiptoeing through the tulips!

TR I wasn't referring to the OP. We need to lighten up around here, or am I the only one thinking people are sounding a little touchy lately?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    But I am big in real life, . . . thats kind of the problem. : /

And I have one arm.

We all find ways to work out the details ;)

Shorts..I should have known you would put it better than I could. I had a whole page typed and decided "I" was gonna step on some toes. I hate tiptoeing through the tulips!

TR I wasn't referring to the OP. We need to lighten up around here, or am I the only one thinking people are sounding a little touchy lately?

lol I'm not always good at tip-toeing so if see where I can try, I try ;)

I do think us folks have this weird thing where us Texas folks with straight talk on our minds doesn't always come out out very diplomatic on the internet. You see us in person where you match a personality and tone and things are perfectly fine. But you put us online and we're total jerks!

In this thread I see we all want to protect our own and I love it. We don't let someone try to pull a fast one. But I like that we can come together and say 'Well, let's try it and see".

Don't lose that spirit guys. I was raised on it and it feels like home and it feels secure (to watch out for each other). But we shouldn't be afraid, although, skeptical is still ok, to let someone say their peace and let them prove themselves. If by then they prove themselves to be a jerk, we'll totally hand their ass to them in a handbasket

Col. Plink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    texas
    Hey y'all,

In reviewing the thread I'll admit that I'm surprised in a couple of ways and, as usual, have learned something.

Firstly, that assumptions have been made about my intentions, and secondly that y'all look out for one another. The latter is nothing short of what I am also expected to exemplify as a Shaolin martial artist (and a native Texan), and I applaud it wholeheartedly.

However, I am exceedingly puzzled at how such a strong reaction came about. An assumption that I am here to swindle somebody would be offensive on its face, and a great leap to an unwarranted conclusion.

I posted an invitation for interested parties to contact me to discuss the potential of doing business. I did not expect anyone to post their rates that are not already publicly advertised (again, the post was a request to converse in private regarding any interest in a barter of services).

I try to respect most folks' wishes to conduct personal exchanges in confidence. If my personal motivations are at issue, I can explain my request for CHL instruction rates as the logical starting point for me to make an offer in kind.

Generally speaking, CHL rates are set (in that they do not vary according to classes that range in size but not duration). Such considerations are, however, central to pricing private lessons in self-defense (and require more information from the student than is appropriate for public consumption).

There would also be no point in my publicly posting something that varies according to the wishes of the client. If I did, I'd be almost sure to get a string of questions that are also not appropriate to answer on a public forum.

I'm hoping that all of the above serves to underscore why I did not attempt such a lengthy explanation in an initial post, but instead requested to be contacted with a working figure for what a CHL instructor asks for their services (which, again, is typically a flat rate and readily made known).

When I know how many folks are interested, how long they can make each session, how many sessions they can do, etc., I can make a responsible offer. In addition, I reserve the right to quote rates according to factors that matter only to myself and the client (as do CHL instructors, which is another reason to talk about such things in confidence).

To try to post a one-size-fits-all rate for private instruction in self-defense would be pointless and, in my professional opinion, inappropriate. That said, y'all keep on lookin' out for one another; anyone worth their salt will show enough respect to explain themselves accordingly.

Honor. Respect. Sef-Discipline.
    These are the rules of my art and the watchwords of my conduct. I greatly appreciate any opportunity to share them and the benefits of their practice.

PS: Shorts, I will contact you shortly ;)

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    There are 4,340 registered members, 3-4 opinions isn't much to get worked up over.
    Especially when they come from people who have no dog in the fight.

I don't really see a problem with it. The request is valid. The OP's recent joining of the site raises the suspicions of some, but many of us are here to promote our business. That doesn't make us bad people.

I guess the request to know rates, etc., seemed a bit aggressive to some, and might have been better suited to a PM or email, but it's a reasonable question when bartering.

Lighten up, guys. This medium doesn't convey attitudes very well, and we often jump to conclusions, taking something said in the worst possible way. As with any business transaction, the participants should approach the agreement the with same trepidation. Someone can't "take" you unless you let them.

Personally, I'm not really interested, but I'm sure some people might be. The idea of trading for a CHL class doesn't seem like a durable arrangement, as the OP will only need this service once, where the other party in the transaction will need ongoing training to become accomplished. Perhaps other firearms training might factor into your trade.

Good luck!

Top Bottom