Target Sports

Wisconsin CWL - Good and Bad of License and Firearm Laws.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Just took a free, yes free, 4 hour concealed license class for the state of WI. I just need to send in some paperwork (no fingerprints, no photo, and $40.00 to the state and I get the license to carry in about 2 weeks.

Laws to allow concealed carry came into effect just Nov. 1, 2011 here.

CWL - The good
    Easy - 4 hours no going for fingerprints.
    Cheap - $40.00 and postage, that's it.
    Fast - Expected in Two weeks.
    Bars - I can carry as long as I don't drink\get impaired. I don't drink so this is great.
    If someone gets in trouble for trespassing with a gun it's just a fine, up to $1,000 but no loss of their license. (Class B forfeiture)
    In the law it explicitly covers carrying the following:
    Handgun, an electric weapon, a knife other than a switchblade knife, or a billy club
    Exempts me from the Federal law to not have a handgun within 1000 feet of the school (open or concealed) but I can't enter school grounds (see below)

CWL - The bad
    Hardly any reciprocity with other states.
    Doesn't bypass NICS, still have a 3 day wait for handguns after purchase.
    Sign at the door only needs to be 5inX5in and can have any wording prohibiting concealed carry, weapons or open carry or just a gunbuster sign will do.
    No licensee may knowingly possess a firearm in or on the grounds of a school. - Can't pick up kids with any type of gun in the car.

Wisconsin Open Carry
    Very good open carry laws here.
    99% of the time I'm in a location here where I can open carry handguns in the same areas I can licensed conceal carry. So someone sees my gun NO PROBLEM.

Some info on the free class.
    When the concealed carry laws were passed an orginazation Home - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. didn't want potential instructors to selfishly influance the laws and make training too burdensome.

They got volunteers statewide to offer the class for free or a donation to their .org that fights for gun owner's rights to open or conceal carry. They've fought some city ordinances and provided lawyers for some who've gotten arrested open and concealed carrying.

Needless to say I'm a member now.

**I've maintained my TX CHL with my Wisconsin address. With the new changes in the law for renewals I don't need to retake the course that would have made me travel back to TX. As WI recognizes TX licenses but TX doesn't recognize WI licenses I can have a non resident TX license.
    Target Sports

Last edited:
    Top Bottom