• ...and so much more!
  • kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Why would we support a 11 year old OS?
    1. Because it still works. Because the "replacement" is crap. (MS gets it pretty much right with every other OS release)
    2. Because:
    This was my second attempt at the update, so I'm done with it for now. I think I had set it to up date at 11 PM. It was still going at 10:30 this morning so I killed it.
    Texas SOT

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    MyIT guy said disable auto updates and don’t update it. Lots of problems. It crashed my new laptop.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Depending on landscape in the next 3'ish years, the next refresh may very possibly go Mac. We build a lot of our software in house, with a lot of code in portable libraries or deployed as a web app. The stuff we don't write that doesn't have a non-Windows option would either get ripped and replaced, or possibly delivered via VDI.

Lets face it, Office was kinda the glue that held it all together but even that has slipped away. Not much to sell staying on Windows anymore.
    Yeah you're right. MS is doing their best to make office useless too. I'm not sure why they think they have a chance at holding on to much.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    your it guy is dum

Yeah I'd fire that guy. He probably makes 3 times what I make and doesn't know shit. It's pretty typical in the IT business. I have to explain how things REALLY work to IT "professionals" that makes 3 to 10 times what I make. I have to wonder whos ass they kissed to get the job. I'm pretty sure I could do it better for cheaper.

Currently there are 336 gain privileges vulnerabilities for Windows 7 that WILL NOT BE PATCHED.

https://www.cvedetails.com/product/17153/Microsoft-Windows-7.html?vendor_id=26

Here's a list of those vulnerabilities.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerab...t_id-17153/opgpriv-1/Microsoft-Windows-7.html

This one was patched in 8 and 10 but not in 7 and it's remote access vulnerability with full privileges gained. It WILL **** YOU UP.

If you have secure information, financial information, or anything classified on a W7 system you could be liable for damages if it gets stolen and used.

https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2017-0101/

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Yeah I'd fire that guy. He probably makes 3 times what I make and doesn't know shit. It's pretty typical in the IT business. I have to explain how things REALLY work to IT "professionals" that makes 3 to 10 times what I make. I have to wonder whos ass they kissed to get the job. I'm pretty sure I could do it better for cheaper.
    They have a connection, talk sweet, and give people what they want regardless of the consequences. And when something does go wrong, they fail to mention everything they could have done to prevent it - "It just happens some times!"

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The VARs are even worse.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    The VARs are even worse.

BTW to your comment on last page. MACs are not infallible either and that is a SERIOUS problem among people who buy systems. They're told MACs "aren't hackable" or "can't get viruses" so that makes users even more careless on those environments. There are a dozen examples of city government employees downloading ransomware onto the network from a MAC.

Here's the latest one.

https://www.wired.com/story/new-mac-ransomware-thiefquest-evilquest/

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Only issue I’ve had with 10 is during installation I had to disable the WiFi on my MB.

Had horrible blue screen issues until I figured out one of my Ram cards was bad.

My wife has a Win10 laptop that I hate. Has the phone screen appearance with everything thrown around stupidly. My desktop looks pretty much like Win7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    BTW to your comment on last page. MACs are not infallible either and that is a SERIOUS problem among people who buy systems. They're told MACs "aren't hackable" or "can't get viruses" so that makes users even more careless on those environments. There are a dozen examples of city government employees downloading ransomware onto the network from a MAC.
    That's not the impetus for a platform change. It's about time and $ spent on support, maintenance, downtime, and all the typical crap associated with running Windows in an enterprise. We've been groomed to accept it. There's whole cottage industries built to manage and support it. That doesn't go away with a switch to Apple, but it dramatically decreases. End user approval increases a lot as well.

Just the amount of time and money spent on keeping Microsoft licensing straight would, were the platforms otherwise identical, be a big enough reason to leave.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    That's not the impetus for a platform change. It's about time and $ spent on support, maintenance, downtime, and all the typical crap associated with running Windows in an enterprise. We've been groomed to accept it. There's whole cottage industries built to manage and support it. That doesn't go away with a switch to Apple, but it dramatically decreases. End user approval increases a lot as well.

Just the amount of time and money spent on keeping Microsoft licensing straight would, were the platforms otherwise identical, be a big enough reason to leave.

Yeah, because APPL products and licenses have always been cost effective. I think the grass is always Greener if you guys gave THAT much of a shit about money you'd just buy systems, image them with CENTOS, train your users to use libra on CENTOS and move on with your lives.

Apple is going to do the same thing MS is. Gain enterprise users and then ream them for every dollar they can. The hardware is already 3 times the price.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Only issue I’ve had with 10 is during installation I had to disable the WiFi on my MB.

Had horrible blue screen issues until I figured out one of my Ram cards was bad.

My wife has a Win10 laptop that I hate. Has the phone screen appearance with everything thrown around stupidly. My desktop looks pretty much like Win7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I installed software that makes the 10 screen interface look like 7. No way I was putting up with the 10 interface.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yeah, because APPL products and licenses have always been cost effective. I think the grass is always Greener if you guys gave THAT much of a shit about money you'd just buy systems, image them with CENTOS, train your users to use libra on CENTOS and move on with your lives.

Apple is going to do the same thing MS is. Gain enterprise users and then ream them for every dollar they can. The hardware is already 3 times the price.
    lol. ok. you're right.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    It took several months to get the latest 2 updates to work. It would say downloading forever. Mon night I got all updates installed. Wed night 3 that were installed Mon showed not installed. Did it again and this time it shows all updated. At 3AM showed all installed. That was an hour before I finished the install. Win is crazy.

If it's the network card that's an easy fix. I can plug in an Ethernet cable and turn off the card.

I had to to remove the card to get it to work. Disabling the software did noting.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Basically everything is cloud based these days. Companies might as well just issue chromebooks to all their users. You can open a terminal and run whatever you want, too. I'm sure Google is stealing data, but they are already hooked into GCP and AWS, so...

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    On mine it rearranged the colors in Firefox. I actually like it. Noticed my link for Solitare is different, instead of an open deck fanned out it is one card face up and 2 face down behind it????? Boredom at microslop maybe.

Top Bottom