• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Good, why should this only be a Texas problem. I sent him a email telling him I would donate for bus tickets to blue states.

Send them all to Oregon, Washington, and California. Those states already have large populations of illegals - most working in the ag sector. I grew up in teh country. I went to a rural elementary school. My bus was half filled (72 passenger bus) with kids from *one* migrant camp full of mostly illegals. The kids may have been born in the US, but none of the parents were. They lived in what we now would call "tiny homes" - 10x10 wood shacks with one door, maybe a couple windows, stacked up in rows - probably 50 or 100 shacks for each big farm. Strawberries and green bean farms, plus apple and pear orchards. The corn and wheat growers didn't need Mexican laborers - that was all harvested by machine.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I don't. Barring a very bad revelation, I'm voting for Huffines. He checks more boxes than either Abbott or West and seems to have more backbone and conviction.
    Huffines big issue seems to be property taxes. If you eliminate property tax how does he pay the bills without putting in an income tax? You can only get money to run the state from so many sources, all suck but although I hate paying that property tax every year I don't want to pay an income tax either. A tremendous advantage Texas has is that there is no income tax.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Huffines big issue seems to be property taxes. If you eliminate property tax how does he pay the bills without putting in an income tax? You can only get money to run the state from so many sources, all suck but although I hate paying that property tax every year I don't want to pay an income tax either. A tremendous advantage Texas has is that there is no income tax.
    Are you really paying attention to his campaign? Are you really putting each candidate's bullet points up together for the "big picture" for liberty? I think if you did, you'd probably be voting similarly to me. If you'd go to his Instagram page, for instance, and look at the direct statements and percentage of issues, I'd say property tax doesn't seem to be his single biggest issue at all, it's one of many. Honestly, I'm not sure I want an income tax, or what the best alternative is, but eliminating property tax IS an issue I'd support because it essentially denies your right to own your property, which is against God's law, thou shalt not steal - even if you are King Ahab vs Naboth.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I dont think it's the advantage you think it is. Coming from a state with income tax and much lower property taxes I can say I pay much more here overall, and shouldnt have to with the size of the state.

The problem is to do things properly and still have regional cities pay for their freeways without tolls you have to have a proper income tax much smaller property tax and small short term 1/4 cent sales taxes and no one would agree to all that even though their overall tax bill would decrease. Cities and school districts have got fat on property taxes and wont give them up. People think a small income tax is more tax even though property taxes will decrease. No one wants 1/4 cent short term sales taxes regionally for freeways even though it would eliminate tolls and drastically advance freeway construction.

So we are stuck with what we got. Which is home owners getting phucked, Taj Mahal level schools while districts complain they have shortages and no one will consider anything but the unobtainable.

No income tax sounds great but in reality isnt that great. But it is Texas and isnt gonna change.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Are you really paying attention to his campaign? Are you really putting each candidate's bullet points up together for the "big picture" for liberty? I think if you did, you'd probably be voting similarly to me. If you'd go to his Instagram page, for instance, and look at the direct statements and percentage of issues, I'd say property tax doesn't seem to be his single biggest issue at all, it's one of many. Honestly, I'm not sure I want an income tax, or what the best alternative is, but eliminating property tax IS an issue I'd support because it essentially denies your right to own your property, which is against God's law, thou shalt not steal - even if you are King Ahab vs Naboth.

I just went to his website and looked at his big issues. Eliminating property tax seemed to be one of his big issues. It is what it is and there is no way to fulfill that goal without an income tax. If he is the republican nominee in the general election he will get my vote. He kind of beats around the bush about how he plans on eliminating property tax though. I will vote republican no matter who wins the primary.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Realist view:

If you eliminate the property tax, or even substantially lower it - that money has to be made up somewhere, because Government won't just say "oh, we have less revenue? I guess its time to cut a bunch of unnecessary spending!" - they always always always axe critical programs first. Public safety, education, and infrastructure maintenance before they cut entitlements, pet projects, etc.

An income tax is DOA - you expect a bunch of renters to vote *for* an income tax, when they "don't" pay the property tax on the property they rent (in their mind, of course, unless they're a smart renter who realized property tax is rolled into their rent)

Texas has higher property tax rates than the lefty shitholes on the coasts, but over all our tax liability is lower here. Our property tax bill came, IIRC it is a bit under $5k. We rented in Oregon because the market there jumped dramatically and priced us out of owning anything but a one bedroom shack if we wanted a commute under 80 miles.

Our income tax liability was substantially higher between the feds and state - I was paying 27% tax between the two there, plus the self-employment taxes, stupid regional taxes because I lived in the area controlled by the "Metro" government. I'll pass on that shit again, thanks.

So if an income tax is DOA - and you're pushing it as a gubernatorial candidate, it'd seem your candidacy is likely DOA too.

The alternative is to jack the sales tax rate up - once again you're hitting low income & middle income people a lot harder than top earners - and there are a lot more of those people than there are the money makers. They're not going to vote to jack their taxes up. Inflation has already given everyone across the board an effective pay cut - to raise sales tax and increase cost at point of sale? Again, pass.

I suppose the only other alternative - which is a non-starter - would be privatizing governmental services or making them subscription based. You want fire protection? Sign up for service with your local fire district. Want police protection? Subscribe to your local PD. Ambulance service? Subscribe. Schools? Since the feds mandate some form of public education, we have to make it available, so if you want your kids to go to brick and mortar schools - hit that subscribe button or figure out how to implement home schooling thru our virtual school program, and if your kid has any special needs - hit that big ol' subscribe button so they can be dropped off for their specials classes!

I know people get up in arms over the property taxes - but it can worse, a LOT worse. You don't want to go down that path.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Realist view:

If you eliminate the property tax, or even substantially lower it - that money has to be made up somewhere, because Government won't just say "oh, we have less revenue? I guess its time to cut a bunch of unnecessary spending!" - they always always always axe critical programs first. Public safety, education, and infrastructure maintenance before they cut entitlements, pet projects, etc.

An income tax is DOA - you expect a bunch of renters to vote *for* an income tax, when they "don't" pay the property tax on the property they rent (in their mind, of course, unless they're a smart renter who realized property tax is rolled into their rent)

Texas has higher property tax rates than the lefty shitholes on the coasts, but over all our tax liability is lower here. Our property tax bill came, IIRC it is a bit under $5k. We rented in Oregon because the market there jumped dramatically and priced us out of owning anything but a one bedroom shack if we wanted a commute under 80 miles.

Our income tax liability was substantially higher between the feds and state - I was paying 27% tax between the two there, plus the self-employment taxes, stupid regional taxes because I lived in the area controlled by the "Metro" government. I'll pass on that shit again, thanks.

So if an income tax is DOA - and you're pushing it as a gubernatorial candidate, it'd seem your candidacy is likely DOA too.

The alternative is to jack the sales tax rate up - once again you're hitting low income & middle income people a lot harder than top earners - and there are a lot more of those people than there are the money makers. They're not going to vote to jack their taxes up. Inflation has already given everyone across the board an effective pay cut - to raise sales tax and increase cost at point of sale? Again, pass.

I suppose the only other alternative - which is a non-starter - would be privatizing governmental services or making them subscription based. You want fire protection? Sign up for service with your local fire district. Want police protection? Subscribe to your local PD. Ambulance service? Subscribe. Schools? Since the feds mandate some form of public education, we have to make it available, so if you want your kids to go to brick and mortar schools - hit that subscribe button or figure out how to implement home schooling thru our virtual school program, and if your kid has any special needs - hit that big ol' subscribe button so they can be dropped off for their specials classes!

I know people get up in arms over the property taxes - but it can worse, a LOT worse. You don't want to go down that path.

I like the thought behind this.

If the government can pick winners and losers…surely we taxpayers should be able to choose winning and losing .gov programs by directing our taxes accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    TX income tax referendum was 75% Nea, 25% Yea, last time it came up a couple years ago. At the time I thought "Who in the Hell would vote for more taxation?". Apparently, they are out there. One of the reasons we moved here was the absence of a state income tax. Our tax liability is much lower here. People don't know what they don't know. There are plenty of states out there that employ income AND property taxes (and any other tax they can think of).

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Property tax is bad, but you should see personal property tax. When I had my business we were taxed each year on stuff we already owned and paid taxes for when purchased.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    TX income tax referendum was 75% Nea, 25% Yea, last time it came up a couple years ago. At the time I thought "Who in the Hell would vote for more taxation?". Apparently, they are out there. One of the reasons we moved here was the absence of a state income tax. Our tax liability is much lower here. People don't know what they don't know. There are plenty of states out there that employ income AND property taxes (and any other tax they can think of).

Yep - 2 out of 3 left-coast states have both. Washington still does not have a general income tax for individuals, but they have IIRC an 11% sales tax that doesn't apply to groceries and hygiene products.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Property tax is bad, but you should see personal property tax. When I had my business we were taxed each year on stuff we already owned and paid taxes for when purchased.

Yep - same. You had to list all "assets" - computers, filing cabinets, printers, tools... it shouldn't be legal, but the politicians want "their" money, so bend over!

Top Bottom