DK Firearms

Will Never visit this range again!!!!!!!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I just recently traded for a glock 22RTF2 and decided to take her to the range for some fun. I went to my local range (Gibsons in Mesquite) which is about 5 minutes from my house so it is very convenient.

When I got there I had to renew my card because it had expired. No big deal. The old man that runs the range told me that there was one other guy on the pistol range that was puting up his targets and I could go ahead and put up my targets. When I got to the bench and set my stuff down the other shooter was still puting up his target so I go out to put up my targets. As I'm walking out he is starting to head back to his bench which is about 15 feet down from mine. As we pass each other I say hi and he somewhat acknowledges me which is fine, I didnt go to make friends I went to shoot. After I put up my first target I look back and he's at his bench loading mags and fondeling his gun. He was an older man probably about 65 yrs old so I just assumed he knew what he was doing until I saw this. WTF is he retarded or somethig. So I just posted one target and hurried back up to the bench.

I am 27 years old and deffinatly respect my elders so I decided to keep my mouth shut. I had come to shoot and did not want any trouble or to get into an arguement with someone. From that point on everything was ok until there was another cease fire. Me and the old man posted our target and get back to the bench with no problems. There are also 3 guys on the rifle range. When the old man gets back to the bench he immediatly starts messing with his stuf on the bench were hes not supposed to be. The old man who is the owner says nothing to the man. I have seen this man yell at people before for way less, but I guess they were friends or something so it didnt matter.

Anyway on to the real reason I'm not going back...The old man who owns the range has his son working for him and helping him run the place. His son is about 38 -42 years old. The 3 guys where down at the 100yd rifle range setting up their targets, but there was a ditch full of water in front of some of the targets so they moved a couple targets over so they did not have to step in foot deep water to post their targets. Keep in mind that there are a total of five people at this range. The son yells down at them to not switch firing lanes. One guy yells back that there is tons of water and didnt want to go swimming. The son ends up making them stay in the lanes they were assigned. He wouldnt let them move to one of the other 20 lanes that were open. Then while the guys were still down there the son storms in and says I quote "These f$%^&*g pu$$y a$$ people with guns, they can go the f&*$ home". The old man who runs the store didnt do anything. So After 150 I packed up my stuff an left. This is not the only time it has been uncomfortable for me. These are some of the most unsocial and mean people. The only reason I kept going there in the first place is because it was literally 5 minutes from the house.

I guess I just want to go to a range that is a little more professional and is nice to their customers instead of cussing at them. Just my little rant. Man that felt good!
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    I get your frustration. Honestly, you'll get the same service at McDonalds so some employees have bad days too. I'm not defending unsafe practices at all ranges, but people will make mistakes and go overboard. Also, it shouldn't discourage your love for shooting.

I recommend you write a letter to the owner about your unpleasant experience (copy and paste your post) and wait for his response. A good business man will value every customer's needs/safety and will do something about it; a bad business man will care less.

At this point, we need more ranges like we need more Sonic joints.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    At this point, we need more ranges like we need more Sonic joints.

I don't get it? What's a sonic joint, are you talking about the hamberger stands (I could use a #2 with cheese and curly fries right now), and does this mean we have too many ranges? If so, not where I live we don't! It's a 45 minute drive through heavy traffic to go to a fairly restrictive indoor range just to punch holes in paper under close supervision, which is a good thing......... I guess.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You screwed up. You should have gone in and demanded your membership fee be returned, then explain why.

Sometimes range owners have to be harda$$es to make sure things are safe. (Like you said, not there to make friends) But when things are that out of control, sooner or later something really bad will happen.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The people who run that range didn't get anything right, sounds like. They didn't say anything when they should have (the guy staying at the bench during a cease-fire), but then chewed out the guys on the rifle range for switching lanes, with plenty other lanes open, so that they didn't need hip waders to get to their targets.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I don't give a crap how old someone is, if anyone puts my life in danger at the range due, I will sure as hell let them know about it on the spot!

I quit going to a local range because of the numerous safety violations I witnessed, but I am lucky as I have access to a military range on the weekends that is restricted to DoD ID card holders and has RSOs that do their jobs!

ferretray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I won't be back to Gibsons either. The son is one of those guys who is just beggin' for an ass whippin'. I don't want to be anywhere around him when karma comes a-calling.
    Too bad, I met some nice folks there.

TheTomcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Had a guy at Bullet Hole here in SA do the same thing. Just as I was going to say something two LEO's walk in. When they went down range (pistol) the guy plays with his LOADED pistol. The cops comes back and says to him "Touch another gun while I'm down range and youll wish you didn't." The guy hurredly left, walking past me as I laughed at him. Some people have small brains and it's up to the rest of us to remind them of things from time to time.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Had a guy at Bullet Hole here in SA do the same thing. Just as I was going to say something two LEO's walk in. When they went down range (pistol) the guy plays with his LOADED pistol. The cops comes back and says to him "Touch another gun while I'm down range and youll wish you didn't." The guy hurredly left, walking past me as I laughed at him. Some people have small brains and it's up to the rest of us to remind them of things from time to time.

What a coincidence, that is exactly the same reason I no longer go to the Bullethole. A buddy and I were checking our targets during a cease fire, and I turned around to see some assclown messing with his pistol on the line. I yelled at him, but to be honest my first desire was to shoot his stupid ass!

That same day, while we were on the 7 yard line, some clown down on the 15 yard line goes walking out without ever calling a cease fire! I ended up yelling "Cease fire! Cease fire!" which scared the other people shooting! The idiot acted like he'd never been to a range before.

It was after these two experiences that I decided I was going to avoid the Bullethole at all possible costs. I've seen far too many safety violations there and the employees seem indifferent to it all. One of these days I expect to hear that there was another shooting at that place!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    For the most part, the people I've run into at ranges are friendly. In the last year or so, there seem to be an extraordinary amount of them that are inexperienced. Judging by what and how they're shooting, they've recently got a CHL and are trying to become proficient. These type of people have been very receptive to polite instruction on how to act at a range when I've talked to them, but it still gets nerve wracking. If I go to a range now, it's an indoor range that has the electric target retrieval and I ask for an outside lane.

The bit about the screaming when the shooters tried to avoid the mud pit makes it understandable there were so many open lanes available. There's plenty of ranges around now. Treat customers like that and you'll insure you've always got several open lanes.

Economist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    I didn't much like Gibson's Outpost the time I went there, either. Haven't truly been impressed by any of the ranges in DFW, actually...

hunto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Beaumont
    First post.

There's a range I won't go back to. There's usually two men working the counter at this outdoor range, an older fella and a younger one. The younger one pissed me off once, when I got up to the counter, he asked me how many guns, 2, targets, 2, $15.00, I pull out money, and his phone rings. He answers it and starts yakking, with me standing there holding money waiting to go shoot. I didn't show my impatience, and after too long, he finished his call and rang me up. Tell the caller to hang on a second, take my money, and let me go on. Damn.

So I go to shoot this last weekend, and I see the younger one, out front cutting grass. Cool, I thought, the old man is there, I won't have to fart with the kid. So I go in, he says hello all nice, I reply, and go to the counter, 2 guns, $15.00, I pull out money, and his cell phone rings. My vision blurs.... He's obviously talking to a woman about some personal stuff. I wait politely, then I replace the targets, he is still running his head, I put the money back in my wallet, he's still yapping, making no motion to ring me up or anything, even though I'm right in front of him. I turn and walk out.

Went to an indoor range in Lumberton, and it was nice. Didn't have to wait while some clown took his personal bs calls either. I'll be going there from now on, it's the same distance.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I try not to let single experiences turn me away from a certain business. I've been a regular customer at 7 different ranges, in 4 different cities over the last 2 years (I move a lot) and there's not a single one that I've been to where I haven't seen safety violations. Not everyone is an expert in gun handling, and there are a lot more gun owners out there who don't really know what they're doing than people like us. Everyone at the range is human, and humans make mistakes. I'm sure everyone here has violated a safety rule once or twice.

If I had vowed to boycott a range every time I saw something unsafe, I'd never be able to shoot.

Top Bottom