• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I need to get away for a few days to unplug. I'd like to load up a backpack, grab a couple of guns and wander out into the middle of nowhere to unplug... Is there anywhere like that in Texas

I don't want a campground, it's got to be someplace I can shoot and I really don't want to have to deal with other people. A water source would be great (needs to be filtered is OK, prefer something running that I can simply treat with iodine), so that I don't have to lug in fifty pounds of the stuff.

Just want to spend half a week to a week getting away from everything and everybody.
    ARJ Defense ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Let me know if you ever want some company. I've been wanting to do a "bug out" for a weekend sometime in the near future.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    if you find this, PM me, i ahve been looking as best i can via the interwebs for a while now (i guessa round 2 years :( ) to no avail...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I know this doesn't fit your bill but I go down the the Padre Island National Seashore outside Corpus Christi. 63 miles of uninhabited beach with no electricity or fresh water...no humanity of any kind. We cart in our stuff in the back of a pickup. Camping gear and a 55 gallon drum of water and hang out for a few days. When you drive 20 or 30 miles down the beach you are in the middle of nowhere. My crew loves to sleep on the beach especially this time of year. We hike miles up and down the beach without seeing a soul.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't think I want any company. I just need to go unplug for half a week to a week. I need to indulge my antisocial side...

You act like you aint form Texas or somthin?
    Look into this, you might like it. Empty CommonSpot Site
    This is a national park, so I think guns are OK.. Make sure you check first.

They're OK with CHL strictly as defensive pieces. I'd like to put a few holes in stuff, and plan on open-carrying because concealed carry in the wilderness is uncomfortable and... well, stupid. :p

if you find this, PM me, i ahve been looking as best i can via the interwebs for a while now (i guessa round 2 years :( ) to no avail...

I don't know one in Texas, but I do know one that's about a day's drive from San Antonio up in New Mexico. Too late in the year for that place, though. I'm up for a trip next year, but we'll have to meet first so I know you can hack it. People die out in this place from time to time...

I know this doesn't fit your bill but I go down the the Padre Island National Seashore outside Corpus Christi. 63 miles of uninhabited beach with no electricity or fresh water...no humanity of any kind. We cart in our stuff in the back of a pickup. Camping gear and a 55 gallon drum of water and hang out for a few days. When you drive 20 or 30 miles down the beach you are in the middle of nowhere. My crew loves to sleep on the beach especially this time of year. We hike miles up and down the beach without seeing a soul.

Not going to fit the bill too much. I grew up landlocked, and never really developed an appreciation for the coast. The last town I lived in was right on the coast and even after living there a few years, a small part of me freaked out somewhat to see the roads end at the cliff with nothing but water as far as the eye could see beyond it. That's just not normal... Give me trees any day. Hell, I'll even take high desert or something like that. But the coast? Not me. Not comfortable with the ocean...

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I don't know one in Texas, but I do know one that's about a day's drive from San Antonio up in New Mexico. Too late in the year for that place, though. I'm up for a trip next year, but we'll have to meet first so I know you can hack it. People die out in this place from time to time...

sounds fair enough to me!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Yeah, I'm picky.

Like I said, I grew up landlocked and am way more used to forests. They're a lot more comfortable for me.

If your interested in a New Mexico adventure, I can take you to some place that only God know's about. Open Carry legal, plus rifles. Get to shoot what ya eat.
    Now ya gotta be tuff and have no fear, cause that's just how I roll... Oh yea, and like mountains....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Tried to PM you, but your inbox is full...

Sorry, hadn't realized how small my inbox was. I emptied it out.

If your interested in a New Mexico adventure, I can take you to some place that only God know's about. Open Carry legal, plus rifles. Get to shoot what ya eat.
    Now ya gotta be tuff and have no fear, cause that's just how I roll... Oh yea, and like mountains....

Hmm, we might be talking about the same place. Mountains, rough and tough definitely describes the place I like to go. We might even know some of the same people if it's the place I'm thinking of. Geronimo's birthplace and old stomping grounds? Do you know a guy in Shoreacres named Mark?

If it's the same place, it's not a great place to be after late October, and definitely not alone. Looking for something a little flatter and probably easier for a solo jaunt.

YES guns are good in big bend

Very limited. From their site:

Keep in mind that the regulations to carry a firearm do not permit the discharging of a firearm. The discharge of a firearm is still illegal in national parks.
    You can CHL with CHL or while you're traveling and at your campsite, and I'd imagine open carry at your actual campsite as it's land "under your control" at that point.

But I'd like to do a little shooting, and discharging firearms in a National Park is a very big no-no. Plus, regarding Big Bend... I don't plan on going alone into the wilderness a few days' hike (20-30 miles) that close to the Mexican border without my M4. Not sure they'll be cool with that in a National Park... Not that I care, because there's no way I would leave it behind. Unless I'm bringing my A2, but that's a tad heavy for hiking...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sounds like you're looking for BLM land. There is none in TX... Unless you know someone with a thousand acre ranch you're probably not going to get what you're looking for. I'd love to find some isolated spots for camping too, but I just don't think it's going to happen in TX. I know someone who owns about 50 acres of pretty remote land and that's where I do my "getaways", but there's always people around out there... and cows. Just not possible to completely get away from everyone.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom