• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I am not sure if you all agree but the CHL requirements are almost too vague. I would call it basic and more education is recommended. IMO
    Guns International

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Is there a place where I can look up recommended instructors for my area?
    Not that I know of, its mostly word of mouth.

One of my sisters went to ShootSmart in Keller for hers in the past year and said it was a great experience. I've been there before and they seemed very professional but I wasn't taking a CHL class.

You may want to read this thread and bump it if you have any questions.
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...69-chl-classs-dallas-area-recommendation.html

I am not sure if you all agree but the CHL requirements are almost too vague. I would call it basic and more education is recommended. IMO

Yeah, but you still want to get a goo CHL instructor to get the basics.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    See that Frank, I told you an intro would get ya a response here

I can't really expand with so many good replies. Good luck with your descision.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A good CHL instructor is very important. I have been paying attention and keeping up with a lot of the legal obligations associated with use if deadly force and carry laws(mostly learning from those on the forum) and found several inaccuracies in my CHL class.

As others said, it's pretty basic to begin with and it is wise to follow up on your own and become as familiar as possible with your self defense rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I think of it like insurance. I'm not planning on a tornado or fire ever destroying my house, but I still have insurance and am prepared in case it does.

As do I (in a way), and when you really sit down and think about it we sure take these little metal gizmos for granted. $500 can get you a pistol which will easily last long enough to pass down to your great-grand-kids as long as you give it a little grease and oil every once in a while. I'd say that's a Hell of a good price for insurance.

But guns are even better than insurance. Insurance covers you after things have gone to Hell. Pistols can stop them from going to Hell in the first place.

FPP777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Keller
    Ok. You talked me into it. Actually, I only needed a little nudge. I stopped by Cabelas and narrowed it down to two guns. Both felt good, but I need to find a place to rent them so I can shoot them first.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    i carry to protect myself i travel so the way the world is i want a fighting chance also if i see some in need i can help by sending .45 cal tho da rescue

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I am a long time owner of a 1911 .45 for home defense and decided I wanted to trade the 45 in for something different. So the past few days I have been digging around the Internet looking for guns, and couldn't help but notice the amount of space dedicated to CHL and the carrying of a concealed weapon on a daily basis. I am very intrigued by the idea of carrying, but so far I just can't justify in my mind why I would really want to do it. So I thought I would pose the question here....

Why do you carry?

I know it may seem obvious to you, but it is not to me. So I was hoping I could get some education here.

Thanks

Let's turn the tables a bit here to get you thinking a little different. Why do you have a gun for home defense? What are you so scared of inside the walls of your own house that you are not the least bit worried about when you're out and about?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    apologizes to OP if he is sincere, but it just seems odd to me that someone who has, and has has and supposedly shot a 1911, would question why someone would carry.

For the record there are many reasons, most of which have already been posted. to carry a weapon, but let me add; just look at the news every day. There are bad people out there that want to hurt you and yours. And as good as our police are, they can not, and have no obligation to protect you. You can be a sheep or a sheep dog. You choose.

FPP777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Keller
    apologizes to OP if he is sincere, but it just seems odd to me that someone who has, and has has and supposedly shot a 1911, would question why someone would carry.

For the record there are many reasons, most of which have already been posted. to carry a weapon, but let me add; just look at the news every day. There are bad people out there that want to hurt you and yours. And as good as our police are, they can not, and have no obligation to protect you. You can be a sheep or a sheep dog. You choose.

I guess it is not something I really thought about. I would think chance of home invasion is more likely then being in a situation outside of our home that would require you having to defend yourself with deadly force.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I guess it is not something I really thought about. I would think chance of home invasion is more likely then being in a situation outside of our home that would require you having to defend yourself with deadly force.

So going to a convenience store, gas station, bank, movie theater, parking lot, etc. is less dangerous than being behind the locked door of your own home? Use google or search your favorite news outlet for the word shooting. See how many times a story comes up regarding a shooting and a home invasion. Then compare it to how many times it comes up in all the other stories. Then factor in stabbings, dog attacks, and other related stories where a pistol might come in handy and do the math.

Having a gun in the home is not a bad thing, but unfortunately we cannot decide when or where we will need to defend ourselves. If we could, we would just choose to be somewhere else at the time.

FPP777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Keller
    As I said, it's not something I put a lot of thought into in the past. I have owned a handgun for the last 25 years. I never really thought about carrying it on my person before. I have learned a lot in the past weeks that has given me a different perspective.

I wasn't trying to make a comparison of what is more dangerous, more so a comparison as to how the average person may think about things.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom