• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    This is an old article but still a good one. The Muzzle Velocity on the box is almost useless. In our testing the Muzzle Velocity on the Box can often be hundreds of feet different from what you will experience. https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp...06/Why-you-cannot-trust-the-MV-on-the-Box.pdf

You should ALWAYS use a reliable chronograph to measure even factory ammunition. I will also add, I will share an article on chronographs here soon. Don't waste your time with cheap/inaccurate chronographs. The best one currently I have found is the new Garmin C1. Seconded by Labradar and Magnetospeed.
    Gun Zone Deals

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I've never shot any ammo that was previously chronographed...and I've shot multiple thousands and thousands of different calibers/mfger's etc. through a huge variety of firearms.

All shot without a single problem.

I'd bet my experience aligns with the vast majority of shooters.
    Me too, except I've had numerous problems with Aquila ammo

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The only ammo I've chronographed was various .30-06 loads to sate my curiosity.

Hornady's M1 stuff is slower than snail shit. Which is shocking considering Hornady has a habit of trying to load everything else as pissingly hot as possible.

Usgi stuff from the 40's and 50's is fast. Scraping the bottom of 3000 fps. 60's stuff is slower.

You really don't need a chronograph unless you are doing load development, or are trying to figure out the myth of M2 ball

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    I've never Chrono'd my ammo either, however to the Ops point, yeah the box is based off a control test, sometimes with an unknown barrel length (some will list it, but most don't). it does give you a good enough reference point to get an idea of what your dope should be, but you almost ALWAYS have to make some adjustments to really dial it in.

Inside 100 yards, really nothing to be concerned about, but when you're shooting at distance a few 100 fps can make a big impact, especially if there's wind, etc.

I do appreciate when professional reviewers/testers do chrono their guns. Just seems to add a little more credibility to the testing I think.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    The muzzle velocity of most ammo listed on the box is typically determined using a “Proof barrel”.
    It’s very unlikely your weapon has a proof barrel, which is typically heavier and longer. But it’s a standard practic, and more likely a theoretically possible MV.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Agreed that the velocity on the box is likely not the velocity from your rifle.

For long range shots it matters. The Strelock app uses your ammo's FPS to determine doping adjustments. I have my 6.5 zeroed at 300 yds. Knowing the FPS helped me find that. (thanks @jrbfishn for helping me with that)

I was able to determine my adjustments at 500 yds at another sitting.

For 200 yds and under, its largely irrelevant. But at 200 and beyond its a critical factor in taking longer range shots. And to figure those you need the velocity from the gun you are shooting, not the box.

ETA - Also the reason your loads need to be exactly alike if you are shooting over 100 yds. So the velocity of one bullet matches the others.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Never worried about it, but have bought a chronometer to see what .45acp does from a 16" barrel, as there is very little floating around the net.
    Have heard tales about SilverTips shedding jackets.

Top Bottom