• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Lately, the Caliber War has been heating up between 9mm & .40S&W.....with both sides dealing heavy blows. Not wanting anyone to feel left out, I thought I would ask those who chose the .45ACP to chime in.

Why did you choose the .45ACP as your caliber? What do you like about it? What are your favorite carry guns and loads in .45ACP? And what advice would you give someone who is thinking about buying his/her first .45ACP pistol?

This isn't the place for caliber-shaming....if you don't like the .45ACP, then move along to one of the other fine topics here.

Thanks in advance.
    Lynx Defense

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I own a couple .45s because I believe in having a gun or two in all the popular calibers.

I don't carry a .45 though just because I already have a carry gun in a different caliber.

A full sized Glock 21 (not the SF version) fits my hand perfectly and shoots very well for me. It may be a little big for most hands though. A Gen 4 with the changeable backstraps is a good route to go.

I believe most guys own a .45 in the 1911 platform just because of it's age, history, available options, and weight. They shoot very well and some low cost but quality guns are available.

I reload and use 230 grain plated bullets over a mid range powder charge. All of my defense guns hold Hornady TAP ammo.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I believe most guys own a .45 in the 1911 platform just because of it's age, history, available options, and weight. They shoot very well and some low cost but quality guns are available.

This +1.

And since this seems to be a serious thread, I will add that I like the tone of shooting of 45 suppressed. Plus most 230 is subsonic whereas 9mm you have to pay for more expensive ammo to get the heavier subsonic rounds. So there may be, I haven't put a calculator to it, A slight cost advantage of shooting 45 suppressed. Definitely a better tone to my ears, but that's entirely subjective.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    This +1.

And since this seems to be a serious thread, I will add that I like the tone of shooting of 45 suppressed. Plus most 230 is subsonic whereas 9mm you have to pay for more expensive ammo to get the heavier subsonic rounds. So there may be, I haven't put a calculator to it, A slight cost advantage of shooting 45 suppressed. Definitely a better tone to my ears, but that's entirely subjective.

Part of the "coolness" of shooting suppressed is hearing the bullet smack. A heavier bullet makes that more satisfying.

On the carry aspect, I've been carrying a 45 (XDMc) for years. I couldn't really tell you why except that I thought bigger was better. That said, I did buy a G19 this week hoping more recoil control will help with my shooting proficiency.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The 45ACP round can and will sever limbs without even hitting the intended target. The round merely needs to get close enough to use its power to tear the human body apart. Grazing will break bone and forget about cars, they don't stand a chance.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I originally carried .45 ACP because we were being actively stalked, and I wanted the largest caliber possible as we were informed by the PoPo that if this person appeared emotional or physical shock probably wouldn't stop this individual.

I like the round and I like the 1911 platform. But I like the higher calibers and grew up around them: 45 Long colt, .44 special and .44 mag. When I was actively shooting revolver, I most enjoyed shooting a special that was effectively identical to a standard 230 grain load performance wise.

Now not shaming-I particularly enjoy the 9mm and have no issues with a .40 either. I also thoroughly enjoyed 38 specials, .357s (that was my second favorite revolver load) and little .380 acps. I've not shot a 10mm so cannot compare.
    Its usually more about the pistol for me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I carry a .45 because I was given a very nice holster made for a 1911 and the 1911 I have in 9mm has a smaller safety lever, so I went with the one in .45 and the larger lever.

Caliber is probably the last consideration when it comes to a carry gun for me, so long as it's greater than .380.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Part of the "coolness" of shooting suppressed is hearing the bullet smack. A heavier bullet makes that more satisfying.

On the carry aspect, I've been carrying a 45 (XDMc) for years. I couldn't really tell you why except that I thought bigger was better. That said, I did buy a G19 this week hoping more recoil control will help with my shooting proficiency.

Great now I have to buy a .45 can too.

I do like that they're already subsonic. They also work a little better on hogs because they're slower and heavier, based on my anecdotal shooting of many hogs. I used to have a W German P220 - wish I still did.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Mexican_Hippie;1402447]Great now I have to buy a .45 can too.

I do like that they're already subsonic. They also work a little better on hogs because they're slower and heavier, based on my anecdotal shooting of many hogs. I used to have a W German P220 - wish I still did.

I always say you should buy a .45 can to start with.
    As long as one can swap out pistons for use on other calibers.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I shoot better with a 1911 than with any other handgun.

The aim is natural. When I lay out a 1911, the sights are close to where I want them without conscious effort.

A great single action trigger.

The platform is proven and reliable. It is made entirely of steel, which will last for many, many, many generations.

The .45 ACP round has proven effective over the years. 230 grains of JHP moving at 900 to 1000 fps (the latter for +P).

A one inch hole. A bigger hole has to be better.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I shoot better with a 1911 than with any other handgun.

The aim is natural. When I lay out a 1911, the sights are close to where I want them without conscious effort.

A great single action trigger.

The platform is proven and reliable. It is made entirely of steel, which will last for many, many, many generations.

The .45 ACP round has proven effective over the years. 230 grains of JHP moving at 900 to 1000 fps (the latter for +P).

A one inch hole. A bigger hole has to be better.

Unless it's not.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I carry a 45. I like the caliber because of several factors. 1. A standard .45 ACP travels at about 830 fps which is faster than anything I will ever shoot. 2. a half inch hole is pretty devastating. 3. Most of the 9s and 40 and such over penetrate, what some call through and through. 45s will do that but not as much. 4. The 45 is a low pressure round which gives a much gentler recoil (to me) than a high pressure round. Think shove rather than punch.

Top Bottom