Why isn't the Steyr series pistols more popular?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    I have a Steyr M9-A1. Glocks didn't feel as good in my hands as the Steyr and well, a couple other pistols. I have read up on the history on the Steyr series pistols. I found that one of the designers of the Glock left Glock and went to Steyr to make these pistols. I think this shoots like a dream! The sights are a little to get used to but I can always change them if I ever wanted. Can someone tell me why these aren't more popular?

Accessories are lacking with this pistol because of the lack of popularity. I just think this is one of the best pistols out there! (The newer Gens)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Steyr makes excellent firearms, and the M and S series pistols are great guns. Although the earlier generation had, IIRC, an issue with their extractors, overall they are very well built, durable, and reliable. IMO, I think one of the major factors in their not being more commonplace is probably a matter of marketing. At least in terms of the domestic civilian market, I can't remember ever really seeing any significant marketing (if any at all) of their products, even including their staple firearms like the AUG/USR, older TMP/SPP subgun/semi-auto pistols. This is also one of the major reasons that certain other high quality guns from other high quality manufacturers, such as the Walther P99, never seem to go very far or see more widespread following. In the case of the P99, we had a gun that I think was first launched ~'97-'98 or so, is still in production, and is still seen as sort of an oddball, fringe gun that very few use or know about. Yet, it was fairly revolutionary for the time period in that it had removable backstraps to fit various hand sizes, more ergonomic polymer frame than most others of the period, and the innovative paddle release for the mag (H&K had earlier than this of course). Only more recently has Walther USA ramped up its marketing efforts, with things such as, IIRC, a Superbowl ad for the PPS (or at least TV commercials for it in general), and some other marketing efforts for some of their other products.

Oh well, the way I look at it is like this. If more people don't know about it, more for ME! ;) The only time when this becomes unfortunate is when the lack of more widespread market following leads to discontinuing production.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've always kinda' like the looks of the Steyr. It looks like it would have a great bore axis way up there and be comfortable to shoot. I agree with TI regarding the lack of marketing being it's only downfall. I'd probably buy one if I could just get my hands on one and try the grip and trigger!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Well go to gunwatcher.com and search for them on there. I was wanting one of the compact ones then another in 357 sig. I don't see why Steyr wouldn't do marketing for them.... They're trying to sell them, right.....?

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    They had no US importer for a while ago and it's hard to find support for their products.

I still can't get sling swivels for my Scout (which I find out AFTER I bought this 60-frackin-dollar Ching Sling), and could never get in contact with them about replacing my firing pin that light strikes primers some times. I get the impression they don't really give a crap about the US market.

HK, because you suck and we hate you, is head and shoulders above Steyr in customer support if that tells you anything.

No marketing, no ads, no support, no importer = no popularity

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    I actually picked up an M9-A1 yesterday. Hoping to get to the range tomorrow to try it out.

Awesome dude!! I am going to get my slide cut and then cerekote the slide.
    Here is mine:

491301d364f0d74ed8ac3650911c9fad.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    They had no US importer for a while ago and it's hard to find support for their products.

I still can't get sling swivels for my Scout (which I find out AFTER I bought this 60-frackin-dollar Ching Sling), and could never get in contact with them about replacing my firing pin that light strikes primers some times. I get the impression they don't really give a crap about the US market.

HK, because you suck and we hate you, is head and shoulders above Steyr in customer support if that tells you anything.

No marketing, no ads, no support, no importer = no popularity

I see. That makes sense but I just don't understand why someone wouldn't care about the US market and they make firearms..... I talked to one of there too people at Shotshow 2014. He said their warranties were way better than Glock. I was having some minor surface rust. He said if there is any pitting then we will give you a brand new one. If it was the same issue with a Glock they wouldn't touch it. But I also have never tried to call their customer support.

Just wish they would do all this marketing which would make it bigger and people would have a reason to make accessories for it. And also their customer service should be better as well

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I've held them at gun shows and really like the ergonomics. They seem to get almost universally good reviews and they're reasonably priced. I've been very intrigued and will probably get one at some point. I don't know why they aren't more popular, maybe the looks turn some folks off? Also, you don't see them for sale all that often in the stores and they're competing in probably the most crowded market niche in the industry (polymer framed 9's/40's).

Top Bottom