• ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    From the Truth about Guns blog from a newer gun owner;

As a newly-married public school teacher, I don’t have a ton of money to throw around, so I made a price-conscious, but reliable choice. Of course, a lot of gun enthusiasts, Facebook trolls, content creators, and even writers for reputable magazines would have me believe that I’ve wasted my money.

When I set out to research my options, I found an insurmountable mass of conflicting information. Whether it was based on brand, price, caliber, or concealability, there is a wide range of competing narratives around what “works” and what doesn’t.

What I found is that for every possible variable, there is a voice out there saying that if you don’t buy exactly what they tell you, you’re simply doing it wrong. This form of gun absolutism in the concealed carry world is antithetical to its goal: educating and arming the public.

For newer readers on this forum :welcome: and those with an opinion or two :argue: the author express the reactions of "gun absolutism" by others to her decisions. Does she have a point even if you thought you were just throwing a bit of shade in fun? How well do you educate lawful and responsible potential/new gun owners?
    Guns International

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    She needs to do her own research, learn what works for her and what doesn't. If she is seeking easy answers, she's doing it wrong because she'll be buying a gun that someone else picks for her.
    And sometimes it takes a few tries to figure out what works for an individual.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    This is commonplace in everything that has a following from guns to car to music etc. It’s up to you not to care about people’s brand/method superiority/inferiority and you should know how to filter out opinionated bs vs something of actual concern. Real members of this community don’t care what you’re carrying as long as you’re proficient with it and trust it. Be an adult and confident enough to make your own decisions. That said, the only caveat to that from my perspective is carrying on an empty chamber. If you don’t trust yourself or your gun enough not to discharge then just leave it home and head on over to Starbucks for your mocha Choca latte on your way to the pride rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Usually with firearms, people complaining about absolutism are anti gunners. Ok i lied. It's not "usually", but rather "every time"

I understand her argument but I can't shake that association.

I also disagree with her argument. There is a right way to do things. Buying a pot metal .25acp from a pawn shop for home defense isn't it. Carrying a walther p22 isn't it. Buying a sig isn't it...

Etc etc

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    What I found is that for every possible variable, there is a voice out there saying that if you don’t buy exactly what they tell you, you’re simply doing it wrong. This form of gun absolutism in the concealed carry world is antithetical to its goal: educating and arming the public.

the author express the reactions of "gun absolutism" by others to her decisions. Does she have a point even if you thought you were just throwing a bit of shade in fun? How well do you educate lawful and responsible potential/new gun owners?

Education of the anti-2A crowd is one of the most important things we can do for the future of the 2A in this nation.

I didn't read the article, but from your excerpt above, I'm inclined to believe the article is just click-bait, and the author is a moron. I don't care if you're shopping for shoes, cars, guns, or groceries, there's some troll on some forum who will throw some shade at option X, and say something idiotic along the way. Welcome to the internet. If someone lacks the skill to identify and ignore such people, that person's ability to glean useful information from the internet drops to near zero.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    From the Truth about Guns blog from a newer gun owner;

As a newly-married public school teacher, I don’t have a ton of money to throw around, so I made a price-conscious, but reliable choice. Of course, a lot of gun enthusiasts, Facebook trolls, content creators, and even writers for reputable magazines would have me believe that I’ve wasted my money.

When I set out to research my options, I found an insurmountable mass of conflicting information. Whether it was based on brand, price, caliber, or concealability, there is a wide range of competing narratives around what “works” and what doesn’t.

For newer readers on this forum :welcome:and those with an opinion or two :argue:the author express the reactions of "gun absolutism" by others to her decisions. Does she have a point even if you thought you were just throwing a bit of shade in fun? How well do you educate lawful and responsible potential/new gun owners?
    Her post, if it is in the same tone as her facebook posts, comes across as condescending and snooty.

You can be condescending and snooty if you buy an HKMP5, if you buy and brag about a Taurus in a condescending and snooty tone, expect some well deserved ridicule.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I don't care. Buy a Mini gun or a .25 double shot belly gun.

Just get a firearm that you will carry and train with consistently.

People over think chit.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    whats the point in having a HK.45 if you cant rack the slide or handle the recoil.

Some times a .22lr is the correct answer as a defensive gun.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Her post, if it is in the same tone as her facebook posts, comes across as condescending and snooty.

You can be condescending and snooty if you buy an HKMP5, if you buy and brag about a Taurus in a condescending and snooty tone, expect some well deserved ridicule.
    <>

I love my Tauri. So far, all 3 have been absolutely reliable; certainly more-so than my KImber or even the G19.

But it's been only 16 or 17 years now.

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Obviously, her ‘’thinking’’ is deficient.

Our lives are filled with choices, and with those who offer advice on them.

One admittedly very new to any area, especially a controversial area, should stay quiet, watch. listen, & ‘’observe’’ for quite a while BEFORE offering public opinion.

As comments & discussions here prove; we are not all of the same mind on many topics beyond preservation of our RIGHTS of self-defense, and our RIGHTS of have the implements needed for that defense

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom