• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Had a day off and managed to get most of my stuff done. Thought I'd stop at Carter's Country to check on reloading supplies and maybe shoot a bit. The reloading stock is better than it was, but still not very good. Couldn't find but 1/3 of what I was looking for. So went to the range. Happened to catch a cease-fire and put up a target. I pasted on of those shoot-n-see circles on it. Standing there waiting for the range to go hot and the range officer comes up and says, "Hey, mister, we don't allow those paste-on things anymore."
    "Helluva time to tell me", sez I. (I'm thinking, 'There's no sign regarding these, and besides, you sell them inside!' But I didn't bother saying it.)
    "Well, you can use it this time, but don't paste any more."
    "Look, I didn't use the dot to save on buying another target." (I haven't even shot this one yet)
    AND THE RANGE OFFICER SAYS, "I know, you just need all the help you can get for your old eyes."
    :banghead:
    In a just world, it should have been OK to shoot him then and there. I just let it pass and added another reason to kick myself in the @ss the next time I think about going to Carter's.
    DK Firearms

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Is that the Carters up on Treaschwig Road?? It certainly sounds their friendly, helpful staff you were dealing with. They have one lady that often works the counter who is friendly and helpful. Every other clerk I've dealt with there comes across like a POS. Put up with it off and on for maybe five/six years. Haven't been in there in a long time; not going back. There's other, more friendly gunshops and ranges in the area to deal with.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I used to shoot there when I lived in The Woodlands. I always liked that little tag they put on each gun you brought. Really nice to have something to get tangled with the trigger.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I as well had a bad experience at the Carters gun range with a young fellow working on the firing line... The story's a bit long for this post but suffice to say I will NEVER shoot there again, and not buy anything from Carter's
    Yea the gun tag is also a foolish idea.
    Hope Mr. Bill reads this.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    The one time I went there was for a Beretta Demo day when they were introducing the Ninety Two.
    It was a free shoot so for that I cannot complain.
    I did notice somewhat a lack of discipline and control on the line ~ make me appreciate ASC more.

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    I've spent thousands of dollars there in years past, dealt with the sales people with personalities of __________ ....... A year or so ago my wife and I went over to look around in between my sons basketball games. We had probably been there 20 minutes or so, Billy walked over to us (I assumed it was because he recognized me and came to say hello....wrong) he made a smart ass comment about us looking and not buying anything.

He doesn't have to worry about that anymore.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I bought a gun from them in 1980 or '81, and have bought a few since. Most of the years between then and now, I have gone to other stores because I was mad at Carters. Poor discipline on the firing line (I've walked off because of people handling firearms during a cease fire), yet they come up with all sorts of odd rules to make sure they extract every cent (like the stupid trigger tags). The first time I got mad at them, they advertised a shotgun. I went to buy one and it had a vent rib that wandered all over the place. Then they decided that the one in the paper was not the model they wanted to put on sale. Then went around the store (on I-10) and marked out all the ads laying on the counter, then came and told me I was mistaken. I didn't go back for probably 5 years. They made a point of telling everyone that they would never, ever sell Glocks because they were junk. You wouldn't believe all the terrible things they'd say about them. Well, Glock must have completely changed their design (they didn't) or maybe Carter finally got the pricing he wanted because now they have a nice big display of them.

They're the biggest dealer around, but they also seem to be the biggest tool. I'd like to like them, but every time I try, I just get kicked in the teeth. (Think I had a girlfriend or two like that in my youth!) They're big enough that they probably won't miss my money, but maybe the other dealers and ranges won't object so much.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I stop at the I-10 store from time to time for ammo. I don't take things personall so I don't mind being ignored or told "I'll be with you in a minute" when I ask for a box of ammo that one of the grumps is standing next to behind the counter as he watches another customer look at pistol. I have a pretty wife and have found that when I bring her with, I get help right away. Never fails.
    I have switched to Acadamy or gun shows for large purchases.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I pasted on of those shoot-n-see circles on it. Standing there waiting for the range to go hot and the range officer comes up and says, "Hey, mister, we don't allow those paste-on things anymore."
    "Helluva time to tell me", sez I. (I'm thinking, 'There's no sign regarding these, and besides, you sell them inside!' But I didn't bother saying it.)

I have never seen them dis-allow stick ons bought in their store & I go there to shoot usually 2 days a week.
    I have never had any problem with any of their staff ever......just sayin.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Nah, that ain't it. I went there for a few years. Had my hair a bit long when I started going there. Cut it off really short when I started coming out to Afghanistan and Iraq on a regular basis. I think my problems started when one of the counter boys said there was no way I could tell the difference between a Colt Peacemaker and a Colt Cowboy revolver by just holding the gun, without looking at it. After guessing right three or four times in a row with several people watching, the guy got pizzed. I was going to buy the Peacemaker, but he wasn't interested in selling anything but the Cowboy models. I figured there were other stores out there that needed my money more after that experience. I don't need an "expert" to sell me a gun. Just a guy who knows how to take the model I want from the display case or from off the shelf.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Seems this has turned into a bash Carter's thread .... and so be the the truth be said!!!!!!
    Bill will not ever get another penny from me.

berto40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Houston
    I think it's a hit or miss thing with the service at Carter's Country Stores. I've had good days and bad days at all of them. I try not to buy anything there though because they are quite a bit more pricey than most any other places in Houston. I'll admit, they do have a lot of stuff in stock. I hate the order and wait process which is why i've bought from them before.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    my father and i both went last week while in houston the service sucked and he prices alone would keep me from going there again, they wanted 65.00 a box for 44-40 ammo i can buy online for 31.00 a box what a joke, they don't want to sell .

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    And don't forget that Bill Carter shares Bill Ruger's feelings on "imported assault rifles" and such. I lived close to Carter's on Treashwig for many years and think I used the range twice, and intentionally took a Chinese AK one timer to piss them off!

Eli

Duman44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    I remember when they opened Carters on Treshwig. Was way out in the middle of nowhere. My Dad used to take his 4 boys up there for a road trip, we lived on the near northwest side and it took about an hour to get there. When they first opened they were the big thing in gun stores. Their main competion was Oshmans. They used to have Oshmans fliers on their counter and they would honor or beat any price Oshmans had.

After Bill Carter made his first million the stores philosophy changed and they became the arrogant bastidges they are now. Some of us oldtimers can remember Bill geting with Ultra Liberal Houston City council woman Deborah Danburg to try to ban or limit gun shows, because it was cutting into his profit margin.

I still stop in his stores and have had good experiences with Brian, the manager of the Southwest store. The only guns worth buying are on the used rack and the have to have been there for a while, before they do any dealing on them.

I do have to admit to making a couple of large ticket purchases on their free financing sales. Both were for safes though, as I can not bring myself to pay their new gun prices.

Top Bottom