Lynx Defense

Who here uses special methods of take for deer and other big game?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    A lot of hunters add black powder & archery to hunt additional seasons & fill the freezer.

Those are very good reasons to have variety of methods to take deer. More weapon types, more opportunity. The reasons are because of all those seasons.

Handgun sport hunting for deer is a method that fascinates me the most. I think it makes for a very special challenge to be able to stalk game that close. I can see using my handgun to harvest meat if my private plane crashed in the mountains, I walked out of it and a pistol was the only weapon I had for survival.

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    I like to shoot deer with a blow dart tipped with western diamondback venom so I have to track it and fight off coyotes with a stick ten hours later.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Never done blow before,

17c.png

Attachments

• 17c.png
      17c.png
      475 KB · Views: 426

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Those are very good reasons to have variety of methods to take deer. More weapon types, more opportunity. The reasons are because of all those seasons.

Handgun sport hunting for deer is a method that fascinates me the most. I think it makes for a very special challenge to be able to stalk game that close. I can see using my handgun to harvest meat if my private plane crashed in the mountains, I walked out of it and a pistol was the only weapon I had for survival.
    Who says you have to get especially close with a handgun?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    As far the OP goes. 3 years back I took a smaller 8 point whitetail with a Ruger SR1911 .45 acp. Distance was about 10 yards. Most may think that would be easy shot, but it is quite different shooting with adrenaline rushing. I pulled the shot high and hit the spine. Dropped it, but I quickly closed the gap to put another in the heart . Hunting with a pistol is quite challenging.

I have also shot several hogs with handguns while chasing them down on a four wheeler. Specifically 9mm, 10mm and .357. They all will get the job done if you hit them where it counts.

d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    As far the OP goes. 3 years back I took a smaller 8 point whitetail with a Ruger SR1911 .45 acp. Distance was about 10 yards. Most may think that would be easy shot, but it is quite different shooting with adrenaline rushing. I pulled the shot high and hit the spine. Dropped it, but I quickly closed the gap to put another in the heart . Hunting with a pistol is quite challenging.

I have also shot several hogs with handguns while chasing them down on a four wheeler. Specifically 9mm, 10mm and .357. They all will get the job done if you hit them where it counts.

The concerns of handgun hunting:

Does your game-law-compliant gun and load have the power to kill big game humanley?
    Are you man enough to take the punishment such a relatively small/light handgun and load/caliber of such necessary power may dish out? A rifle, as big, hand-filling and heavy as they are compared with pistols, can even be punishing to shoot at times. How good a pistol shot are you? How good of a stalking hunter are you? There is the challenge of being a skilled pistol marksman and the challenge of butching up to take whatever nasty kick and blast the weapon and load dishes out. Many police officers can't even handle .357 revolvers and precious few can handle .44 Magnums.

Top Bottom