Gun Zone Deals

Who are the modern designers which will stand out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Since Browning we have had
    John Garand
    Bill Ruger
    Eugene Stoner
    Gaston Glock
    Kalisnikov
    Ronnie Barrett
    The folks at CZ

Of those, I hate to say it but Glock may be the most impactful other than Kalisnikov.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    I dunno, when you look at the millions of Ruger .22s out there, Bill Ruger has certainly done his part to keep shooting alive and available to the youth of America. That's gotta be worth something.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Ronnie Barrett yet.

Roy Weatherby also made important contributions in the area of high speed rounds.
    I would say Weatherby was a ammo designer and built the gun around his design.

As for Barrett, nothing wrong with his stuff but a bit late to the party. image013.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    As for Barrett, nothing wrong with his stuff but a bit late to the party. View attachment 32728

By that same logic, JMB did almost nothing since there were semi auto pistols before he designed the 1911, and Maxim had a good machine gun before any of his, right???
    Garand was nothing more than a copy cat since the Mondragon was already in service, and had been for decades, right??
    Ruger can't be credited with anything since both the .22 rifle and pistol had been developed and widely available for years before he came up with his designs, gotta agree right???

My point is that just because something has been done before, does not make the person that bought it to a higher level of perfection any less important.

Regarding you jab at Ronnie Barrett, how many of that type of rifle were currently in general distribution before his came out? Then look at the number of them that have been developed and put into service since his refinement of that type gun, and its evolution in purpose. We now generally refer to those non-machine gun rifles in that caliber range as 'sniper rifles' and not anti-material rifles.

Don't think you would have been able to find any special operations group around the world parading around or training extensively with their Boys, Wz35, PTRD, L-39 or T-Gewehrs in the last 50 years like the Mexicans below currently are.

scary-military-5503.jpg

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    By that same logic, JMB did almost nothing since there were semi auto pistols before he designed the 1911, and Maxim had a good machine gun before any of his, right???
    Garand was nothing more than a copy cat since the Mondragon was already in service, and had been for decades, right??
    Ruger can't be credited with anything since both the .22 rifle and pistol had been developed and widely available for years before he came up with his designs, gotta agree right???

My point is that just because something has been done before, does not make the person that bought it to a higher level of perfection any less important.

Regarding you jab at Ronnie Barrett, how many of that type of rifle were currently in general distribution before his came out? Then look at the number of them that have been developed and put into service since his refinement of that type gun, and its evolution in purpose. We now generally refer to those non-machine gun rifles in that caliber range as 'sniper rifles' and not anti-material rifles.

Don't think you would have been able to find any special operations group around the world parading around or training extensively with their Boys, Wz35, PTRD, L-39 or T-Gewehrs in the last 50 years like the Mexicans below currently are.

scary-military-5503.jpg
    You are setting the bar very low. I guess if I go out and buy a cheap 1911, then I polish, port, pearl grips, fancy sights etc etc then I am in the running for a prize...I don't think so.

That was not a jab at Barrett, but rather a fact, he was not the first, this is not to say he cannot be the best or be awarded for a significant improvement and therein lies the rub...significant improvement. What constitutes sigificant???? You tell me. Because a bunch of Mexicans are carrying a Barrett .50, is that the criteria?

How about some examples: Watches that sync with the Atomic clock across the globe? Significant improvement! Watches that use solar power. Significant improvement!

We could also say the Chevy V8 of 2015 sitting in the Z06 Corvette is a significant improvement over the Chevy V8 that debuted in '55...or can you? The engine in that Z06 is an evolution engine, 1 year at a time over 60 years.

To go back to Barrett, was his contribution significant or just evolutionary? YOU make the call!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ole Cowboy, I guess this went over your head. The operating system, manufacturing process, etc of the Boys and the Barrett are vastly different.

It is the small improvements that make a lot of difference in some instances, other times it is big changes.

The design and method of production of the Barret, along with developing a need for the gun is what put him on my list. That platform was basically dead in the water before he came along. Now I know that there were a number of guys making more traditional bolt guns in that caliber (one down here in Texas City had a good market going with them) but his, coupled with it's use in DSheid/DStorm revised a lot of thinking and reintroduced that type of rifle into service around the world. Now just about every force has it's own version. (just found the Mexican picture, and thought it good, so that is why I posted it, not implying that Mexico is ahead of the curve.) How may LE agencies/forces had a rifle of that caliber before his design came out, how many now???
    My call? Both, significant and evolutionary when you look at where it is today.

Some great ideas are nothing more than taking something that is already out there and making it more suitable. Take for example the Ruger Standard pistol. Nothing much innovative about a .22LR, magazine fed, handgun. Ruger showed his genius with how he designed, produced and marketed a quality inexpensive pistol. Rugers 10-22 was not some great new idea, heck there were tons of recoil operated .22LR rifles on the market (Like Brownings SA-22) for years before his came out. What he did was develop a clever magazine that worked, and again design, marketing, production methods, etc. made the gun the icon it is today. Even just changes in traditional production, like Ruger did with the inexpensive six guns he made to complete with the more expensive Colts of the day (in .22 and larger calibers). His noteworthiness is shown not by his invention of a Single Action handgun (even though the transfer bar safety helped a lot), but what he did with it and how a dying design got new life and millions of shooters were able to buy, shoot and collect them because of what he did. Hell I don't even like Bill Ruger, but do have respect for his work in some areas.

There are few major milestones in firearm development, however there are a lot of guys that built on the history before them to create great products that revolutionized the scene.

Some designers created great designs based on other guns of the time, others brought completely new stuff out (Look at the Browning Superposed), but both contribute to what we have today in a significant way.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Ole Cowboy, I guess this went over your head. The operating system, manufacturing process, etc of the Boys and the Barrett are vastly different.

It is the small improvements that make a lot of difference in some instances, other times it is big changes.

The design and method of production of the Barret, along with developing a need for the gun is what put him on my list. That platform was basically dead in the water before he came along. Now I know that there were a number of guys making more traditional bolt guns in that caliber (one down here in Texas City had a good market going with them) but his, coupled with it's use in DSheid/DStorm revised a lot of thinking and reintroduced that type of rifle into service around the world. Now just about every force has it's own version. (just found the Mexican picture, and thought it good, so that is why I posted it, not implying that Mexico is ahead of the curve.) How may LE agencies/forces had a rifle of that caliber before his design came out, how many now???
    My call? Both, significant and evolutionary when you look at where it is today.

Some great ideas are nothing more than taking something that is already out there and making it more suitable. Take for example the Ruger Standard pistol. Nothing much innovative about a .22LR, magazine fed, handgun. Ruger showed his genius with how he designed, produced and marketed a quality inexpensive pistol. Rugers 10-22 was not some great new idea, heck there were tons of recoil operated .22LR rifles on the market (Like Brownings SA-22) for years before his came out. What he did was develop a clever magazine that worked, and again design, marketing, production methods, etc. made the gun the icon it is today. Even just changes in traditional production, like Ruger did with the inexpensive six guns he made to complete with the more expensive Colts of the day (in .22 and larger calibers). His noteworthiness is shown not by his invention of a Single Action handgun (even though the transfer bar safety helped a lot), but what he did with it and how a dying design got new life and millions of shooters were able to buy, shoot and collect them because of what he did. Hell I don't even like Bill Ruger, but do have respect for his work in some areas.

There are few major milestones in firearm development, however there are a lot of guys that built on the history before them to create great products that revolutionized the scene.

Some designers created great designs based on other guns of the time, others brought completely new stuff out (Look at the Browning Superposed), but both contribute to what we have today in a significant way.
    No did not go over my head, I was asking YOU if YOU thought it was significant if so what.

I think you ducked...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Nope, re-read my post I answered your question. You going to address some of mine in the post ahead of it, or are you giving up on those????
    Give up on WHAT??? I am here to answer your questions? Don't hold your breath. I have no argument with anything you said.

This was the last sentence in my post: "To go back to Barrett, was his contribution significant or just evolutionary? YOU make the call!"

My only interest was your thoughts on it, yet all you want to do is argue, I do not have an argument here.

Sound like my first wife: Out of the blue she files for divorce. 5 years of marriage, no kids. Ok great I said, send me the rest of my military uniforms and rest of my clothes, you have have the house, car and everything in it. She was LIVID, well I am going to get a lawyer! Why, I don't have one, giving you everything you want and you are still mad. She hires the TOP divorce lawyer in Dallas (according to Texas Monthly). I get called to drive to Dallas to meet with her and her lawyer. I walk in, he screams at me, 'we are gonna take everything you have'...ok, great, just send my uniforms and clothes, you and her can have the rest. Now she starts screaming, he gets red in the face and wants to know the name of my lawyer...I don't have a lawyer, don't want a lawyer, don't need a lawyer, just want it over.

This went on for almost a year. The idiots kept sending me letters, with lists of stuff they wanted, I kept replying you can keep it, no argument here. Then a week later another letter long list of furniture, I just replied, I live in a furnished apt, you keep it please! And they only got madder. (note, SHE had everything, I had been in Korea and came back to Ft Hood, she lived in Dallas, everything we owned was with her)

You didn't hook up with her did you???

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Give up on WHAT??? I am here to answer your questions? Don't hold your breath. I have no argument with anything you said.

This was the last sentence in my post: "To go back to Barrett, was his contribution significant or just evolutionary? YOU make the call!"

My only interest was your thoughts on it, yet all you want to do is argue, I do not have an argument here.

Sound like my first wife: Out of the blue she files for divorce. 5 years of marriage, no kids. Ok great I said, send me the rest of my military uniforms and rest of my clothes, you have have the house, car and everything in it. She was LIVID, well I am going to get a lawyer! Why, I don't have one, giving you everything you want and you are still mad. She hires the TOP divorce lawyer in Dallas (according to Texas Monthly). I get called to drive to Dallas to meet with her and her lawyer. I walk in, he screams at me, 'we are gonna take everything you have'...ok, great, just send my uniforms and clothes, you and her can have the rest. Now she starts screaming, he gets red in the face and wants to know the name of my lawyer...I don't have a lawyer, don't want a lawyer, don't need a lawyer, just want it over.

This went on for almost a year. The idiots kept sending me letters, with lists of stuff they wanted, I kept replying you can keep it, no argument here. Then a week later another letter long list of furniture, I just replied, I live in a furnished apt, you keep it please! And they only got madder. (note, SHE had everything, I had been in Korea and came back to Ft Hood, she lived in Dallas, everything we owned was with her)

You didn't hook up with her did you???

LOL, you are on a roll......................You ask me questions, I answer. I ask you and you pop an attitude????

WTF does your lack of ability to keep a wife, or your other personal issues have to do with this??? You think we care?? Seriously????

Did I hook up with her? LOL, maybe post a picture. I can understand why she would be out there looking.

Re read my post, I did make the call you asked about, and offered an explanation about it. Do I need to go back and quote it for you, or can you handle that task on your own?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom