• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skeath

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    McKinney
    "Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? It is feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."

--Tench Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, 1788

If you do not subscribe to the daily Founder's Quote, you should.

The Patriot Post (www.patriotpost.us/subscribe/ )
    Hurley's Gold

skeath

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    McKinney
    What is your point?

If you are referencing modern militia groups, they are not the same as to what Coxe referred in 1788.

I am quite aware of that. You seem to have inferred that I was being supportive of the claim that the 2A only applies to organized militias, and I was not. To the contrary, I was providing further proof that the liberals do not understand history. The date of the quote shows that it was published after the Constitutional Convention, and during the period of voting on ratification. Like the Federalist Papers, this was a clarification to the people (in this case, of Pennsylvania) of the right to bear arms as defined in the Constitution.

Don't be so quick to take offense.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves ... and include all men capable of bearing arms."
    Richard Henry Lee - Senator, First Congress

I'd say their views then and our views now should coincide. I'm not referring to any radical groups or the National Guard, just every day American citizens who own guns.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Everyone who is capable of fighting is the militia. We should all have select fire M4s in our homes as a matter of course. There's still a lot of legal work to do to make up the ground we've lost.

I am a militia of one. You might say I am Army's army. Subject to the military orders of the Generalissimo, my wife.

Ha ha. Yep, I'm more like a Colonel who regularly ignores orders from the General and gets reprimanded.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am quite aware of that. You seem to have inferred that I was being supportive of the claim that the 2A only applies to organized militias, and I was not. To the contrary, I was providing further proof that the liberals do not understand history. The date of the quote shows that it was published after the Constitutional Convention, and during the period of voting on ratification. Like the Federalist Papers, this was a clarification to the people (in this case, of Pennsylvania) of the right to bear arms as defined in the Constitution.

Don't be so quick to take offense.

Don't be so quick to assume. I didn't take offense. I am asking what your point is. Still asking. ;)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What is your point?

If you are referencing modern militia groups, they are not the same as to what Coxe referred in 1788.

How so? I believe the current law on the question posed in the title is 10 USC 311, but I may have the wrong code. I'm on mobile. At any rate, federal law currently clearly defines "who" as being pretty much everyone.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    A hearty breakfast being necessary to the health of the populace, the right of the people to keep and eat cereal shall not be infringed.

Now who gets the cereal, the breakfast or the people? And since raisins aren't cereal, can they be limited to one scoop instead of the hi-cap two scoops in Raisin Bran?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    <sigh>
    Yes, we're all militia.
    Yes, we're unduly burdened in obtaining military grade weapons that the 2A had been specifically created to allow.
    No, most people don't get this.
    Yes, most people will think you're weird for saying this.
    No, most people don't care what the Constitution says when laws are passed.

Yes, you're preaching to the choir on this forum. We need to educate people that are currently outside of the 2A community if we want to gain ground.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <sigh>
    Yes, we're all militia.
    Yes, we're unduly burdened in obtaining military grade weapons that the 2A had been specifically created to allow.
    No, most people don't get this.
    Yes, most people will think you're weird for saying this.
    No, most people don't care what the Constitution says when laws are passed.

Yes, you're preaching to the choir on this forum. We need to educate people that are currently outside of the 2A community if we want to gain ground.

iagree.gif

We can discuss this (or argue about it) on gun forums until Hell freezes over but WE all know the problem. WE have to get the word out to THEM (them being those who either don't own guns or those "fence-sitters" who have no opinion one way or the other). WE have to counter all the negativity being spewed by the lying sacks of shit (the lying sacks being the gun-grabbing libiturds, the current crop of congress critters like Feinslime, Schumer, Reid, etc., etc., the MSM) with facts and figures backed up with every bit of research counter to what the gun-grabbers continuously toss out. Like their "90% of Americans want more gun control" or, like here in Nevada, "86% of Nevadans supported the extended background check bill" (when only 800 people out of 2.7 million state residents were polled). FACTS and FIGURES to those "uninitiated" in guns and their use/ownership....that's where our efforts NEED to be.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom