Target Sports

Whiskey, Bourbon drinkers....leave the Scotch out of it. ;)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Maker's is pretty good. I quit drinking Four Roses after I learned that their best is not even sold in United States, but reserved for sales to the country that owns them.
    I like Bulleit myself and there is always a bottle of it on the shelf.

Uh, Bulliet is made by Four Roses. Bulliet is just a name that is slapped on the bourbon made to their specs, kind of like Jefferson's.

"Their best is not sold in the United States" is total horse shit. Four Roses Single Barrel is one of the best and most acclaimed in it's class. I think it is overrated, FR Small Batch also. The Japanese want to the drink the best that is sold in America.
    Military Camp

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Uh, Bulliet is made by Four Roses. Bulliet is just a name that is slapped on the bourbon made to their specks, kind of like Jefferson's.

"Their best is not sold in the United States" is total horse shit. Four Roses Single Barrel is one of the best and most acclaimed in it's class. I think it is overrated, FR Small Batch also. The Japanese want to the drink the best that is sold in America.
    The FR Single Barrel is almost identical to the Bellemeade Single Barrel in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Four distilleries make the best bourbons in the world imho, Beam, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, and Woodford Reserve.

The Buffalo Trace brand is the best bourbon for the price, bar none. $20 dollars cash a bottle at Spec's is untouchable.
    If you like wheated bourbons at a bargain price, W.L. Weller 12 year and Antique, similar to Pappy, all made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. I'm not a big fan of wheated bourbons.

Knob Creek Single Barrel and Booker's alone make Beam one of the best distilleries for bourbon in my mind. I don't care for much else they make, but those two are among the best for barrel proof or uncut bourbons. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is also really good for this category. I just happen to believe that barrel proof and single barrel bourbons are gimmicky and don't display everything bourbon has to offer and is known for.

I think the best bourbon comes between 90 and 100 proof. In that class:

Wild Turkey 101 is classic, but I wouldn't choose over BT. Russell's Reserve 10yr is their best bourbon and one of the best bourbons you can buy, and it is under $30. Eagle Rare from Buffalo Trace is close behind.

They all fall short of the almighty Woodford Reserve. The best, most balanced, most artfully crafted bourbon out there I believe.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Four distilleries make the best bourbons in the world imho, Beam, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, and Woodford Reserve.

The Buffalo Trace brand is the best bourbon for the price, bar none. $20 dollars cash a bottle at Spec's is untouchable.
    If you like wheated bourbons at a bargain price, W.L. Weller 12 year and Antique, similar to Pappy, all made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. I'm not a big fan of wheated bourbons.

Knob Creek Single Barrel and Booker's alone make Beam one of the best distilleries for bourbon in my mind. I don't care for much else they make, but those two are among the best for barrel proof or uncut bourbons. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is also really good for this category. I just happen to believe that barrel proof and single barrel bourbons are gimmicky and don't display everything bourbon has to offer and is known for.

I think the best bourbon comes between 90 and 100 proof. In that class:

Wild Turkey 101 is classic, but I wouldn't choose over BT. Russell's Reserve 10yr is their best bourbon and one of the best bourbons you can buy, and it is under $30. Eagle Rare from Buffalo Trace is close behind.

They all fall short of the almighty Woodford Reserve. The best, most balanced, most artfully crafted bourbon out there I believe.

I've consumed so much WR compared to all others that I would have to agree. It is well balanced and well made.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I forgot Knob Creek. I'm not a big fan. It is a classic in this new era of bourbons. It is a great introductory bourbon because it will hit you in the face if you have only tried Beam, Jack, or MM in the past. It is still pretty good, but not at the level of the others and overpriced.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Uh, Bulliet is made by Four Roses. Bulliet is just a name that is slapped on the bourbon made to their specks, kind of like Jefferson's.

Learn something new every day. Will not be buying anymore.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Been to the Maker's Mark distillery. Very educational. Plus taste testing.

Did you know they sell Maker's White, an unaged version of Maker's Mark, only at the distillery? Yeah, it's tasty.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I always have some combination of Jameson, Rebecca Creek, or Crown Royal on hand. I am a big fan of Ranger Creek's offerings though I have yet to try their rye whiskey. Just opened a bottle of Bulliet that was given as a gift, not bad. I have however been patiently waiting to try a new one called Leadslingers, just made it to Texas and is supposed to be going on shelves.

d1358415d98b9a7f62fc85b6cd1f419f.jpg

5c939c7cc4da244026ddbba9dd67f455.jpg

284e0ee70dec2bb85679f1b9ad8e7f8c.jpg

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I've seen some mighty fine Kentucky Bourbons mentioned here. Fine Bourbons are like fine firearms to me: I haven't met one I didn't like! Born & raised in The Commonwealth but as they say: got to Texas as soon as I could! Probably partial to Makers Mark more than anything else (for personal reasons) but Buffalo Trace is made in my home town and of course Woodford Reserve ain't nuthin' to sneeze at!
    1) White wax/blue label from a few years ago when UK Wildcats won the NCAA tourney; gold wax a tid bit special gift from the Distillery to a family member (PR goodwill); and then the normal red wax but the little bottle was dipped by my wife. The ladies on the dipping line will occassionally plunck a bottle down too deep in the wax barrel and it runs down onto the label. They actually do this to about one production bottle out of every hundred or so bottles. If you ever see one of them in a liquor store, grab it!
    2) Couple of local favorites. As a teen, I was tilling a small garden area for my older sister in a house they live in, which looked right down on the Buffalo Trace Distillery. I turned up a couple of Indian arrow heads in that patch of ground no bigger than a postage stamp!
    3) My wife's favorite - ya have to get this at the distillery. Not all my ex'es live in Texas but the current one has been "a keeper" for the last many years (almost 20)...beginning to think it might work this time.
    4) And of course the "primo" candy of the world (at least, as far as I'm concerned). I worked a few months from the time I got out of college until I had to report for active duty and I worked in the Ky Highway Dept with a fellow named Bob Rowe - he was the artist that did this horse farm scene for Rebecca Ruth. A better guy you'd never meet. In the highway drafting department, he'd always "sneek" in a few indian arrowheads in the drawings that showed the fill conglormerate.
    And a little special bonus for having read all my bs thus far. Here's a real Kentucky family recipe for bourbon balls. Okay, okay, it's my little sister's - which is one reason we'll all die from over weight heart problems! (But hey...what the heck, that's better than gettin' killed by those damn rattlesnakes in church!).

Bourbon Balls (I double therecipe)

1 lb powdered sugar
    2 TBLS softened butter (I use 3)
    1/3 cup bourbon
    1/2 cup chopped pecans (soak pecans in bourbon for an hour or so)

Combine sugar and butter. Add soaked pecans. Mix well and roll into balls.Chill.

In a double boiler melt 6 oz of cho chips, 2-3 squares unsweetened cho, andabout 1/8 cup
    Paraffin wax shavings. Dip the balls in cho, place on wax paper, and chill. {edit: I'm pretty sure she meant for the bourbon balls to chill, not you....well, maybe you too! ...in which case, grab a bottle of bourbon and do as she recommends}

My mother always used Rebel Yell in her bourbon balls but I think anything better than Bourbon Delux would do just fine.

Attachments

• 1_Makers Mark.jpg
      1_Makers Mark.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 359
    • 2_BT and WR.jpg
      2_BT and WR.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 341
    • 3_Bourbon Cream.jpg
      3_Bourbon Cream.jpg
      76.1 KB · Views: 353
    • 4_RR Bourbon Balls.jpg
      4_RR Bourbon Balls.jpg