ARJ Defense ad

Which ear plug provides best protection under $100?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2018
    Austin
    Which ear plug best protection under $100. I am having some trouble with cheek/shotgun mount and it messes with my muffs.
    Capitol Armory ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011NA0BCC/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Accept no substitute. These are the best of types I have worn for the last 15 years. If what you use is too loud with these on, you probably shouldn’t be there. The rigid shaft makes it easy to insert. If you don’t need maximum isolation, you can pull them out just a little to suit your needs.

I always keep a handful in the range bag for others. More hygienic as well. Although I reuse mine a few times.

3M 318-1009 EAR PLUG, CORDED, 30DB

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I wish I still had mine from the military back from the 80s.....they had flanges and the carry case lid had a shaft that helped with insertion......they were good and color coded for size

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I seen a guy with .308 brass in his ears@ a machine gun shoot. Everyone offered him plugs to muffs & he was content. Might have had to do with the fact he owned the place.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Been through quite a few. Ended up settling on these. Love em. 3M product. These are actually supposed to go on one of those insertion rods but I use them by themselves. Because they have that hole in the center they really snug into your ear canal easily. Use these by themselves at the outdoor range and put muffs over em at the indoor range.

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
      s-l1600.jpg
      171.5 KB · Views: 379

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Look at the noise reduction rating. The higher the number, the more noise it attenuates.

Generally, ear plugs are pretty good, muffs are better, and the ear caps (plastic curved rod with plugs) are the worst.

If you're shooting something particularly loud, you can use plugs and muffs.

Electronic muffs are a little expensive, but they work really well and it's pretty nice to be able to have a conversation with hearing protection on.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Look at the noise reduction rating. The higher the number, the more noise it attenuates.

Generally, ear plugs are pretty good, muffs are better, and the ear caps (plastic curved rod with plugs) are the worst.

If you're shooting something particularly loud, you can use plugs and muffs.

Electronic muffs are a little expensive, but they work really well and it's pretty nice to be able to have a conversation with hearing protection on.

It’s very rare that I’ve seen a pair of ear muffs with a claimed higher NRR than foam ear plugs.

There are other factors that come in to play as well, such as the pitch used to obtain the NRR rating, real world variables that aren’t accounted for in a lab, and whether or not the end user uses the product properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I use these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067NKCO8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not only do they make excellent ear plugs but also for Fast draw cowboy shooting instead of wax bullets. Very clean to shoot and reusuable a few times as well. I have the special primer only cases for my .45LC and they work wonderful for practice. I bought about 800 pair. I don't live in the city but close and in the county. The county district attorney I explained things too said there was no law on the books that would stop me or put me in jeopardy. They even provided me a letter. The HOA currently has nothing concerning this either, but I have talked with my neighbors and explained things and they have no issue and haven't complained. I have a green belt to the rear of my back fence so I shoot that way towards a backstop I built just in case. Maybe someday I will get a cease and desist letter from playing fast draw in my backyard.

Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    When I forget my hearing protection, in a pinch I use 9mm or .380 bullets as ear plugs. They work just as good as most anything you can buy.. Just saying.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    $100 will buy you a pile of foam plugs and a bunch of beer to enjoy after the range session.

I use the Surefire EP7 or EP10, but in all honesty I’m not sure they are any better than some of the foam plugs out there.

Also use the Howard Leigh Impact series if electronic muffs and the walkers low profile jobbers. They are pretty low profile, but I still sometimes manage to break the seal when shooting shotgun or rifle.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My audiologist (yes thanks to shooting I have hearing loss) explained this about ear plugs. They do fine but there is a bone behind the ear that transfers sound also and if it isn't covered can cause damage. Reason I asked this because my hearing aids, when turned off, seal the ear as good as any plug. Now I turn them off AND wear electronic muffs. Must be something to it as the muffs allow me to hear conversation with the aids off. And I have had custom molded earplugs since the 70's.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Custom molded ones. In the past a vendor could be found that would mold them for you at most gun shows. I haven't looked lately.
    I'm a less than 1 year Texas resident and have been to multiple guns shows here (DFW area)... Haven't seen any such vendor, much to my chagrin. In my former state of residence, such services were readily available at basically each show. Bummer! HOWEVER, I'll gladly trade not having such a vendor available for the privilege of living in Texas!!!!!

Sent with the good grace of God.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    My audiologist (yes thanks to shooting I have hearing loss) explained this about ear plugs. They do fine but there is a bone behind the ear that transfers sound also and if it isn't covered can cause damage. Reason I asked this because my hearing aids, when turned off, seal the ear as good as any plug. Now I turn them off AND wear electronic muffs. Must be something to it as the muffs allow me to hear conversation with the aids off. And I have had custom molded earplugs since the 70's.
    Wow, good to know... Thanks for the knowledge! Guess I'll stick to the earmuffs.

Sent with the good grace of God.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom