• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skychief12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm new to Texas hunting. I'd like to start hunting hogs. What is the best way to find a place to hunt? I'm in Frisco but I'm wondering if Oklahoma might be an option too.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    98% of the land in Texas is privately owned. There is some public land in NE Texas where you can hunt pigs. If you have money, you could get a lease. If you have ALOT of money, you can buy a ranch.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There are places to hunt core land but it has restrictions on what you can use, If oklahoma is like texas an out of state liscence will be alot more expensive.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Texas is not hunting friendly to the masses unless you own enough land upon which to hunt, have an expensive lease, or a good friend who will let you hunt on his land for free.

Hunting packages on private ranches are outside the reach of the average Joe.

Even farmers/ranchers impacted by feral hogs want your money to eradicate their problem.

I've got no problem with any of the above: Texans still have property rights (for now).

You are better off going fishing!

Be well.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Decent amount of public land to hunt. Buy the permit same place you get the license. Map books are available online. Planning to hit the WMA north of Tyler next month.

skychief12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frisco, Texas
    Texas is not hunting friendly to the masses unless you own enough land upon which to hunt, have an expensive lease, or a good friend who will let you hunt on his land for free.

I believe you hit the nail on the head.

Does Oklahoma give the non-connected hunter any better chance at hunting? I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount for an annual lease.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You can pay a reasonable amount in Texas for a lease and hunt all you want. I dont know about up in the DFW area but S. Texas has lots of (what I consider to be) reasonable leases. You just have to "hunt" for them....

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Some pretty good public lands for birds. Dove and Duck mostly.

Ever now and then you will see some Quail and I am seeing more goose lately.

I would be interested to know if there is some public land for land critters, however I would be worried that they are A) over hunted and B) full of unsafe hunters

Top Bottom