Target Sports

Where in Austin to buy decent priced defensive ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I was pretty sure I had read a similar thread to this, but couldn't find it, so....

I really want to buy several hundred rounds of defensive ammo (quality hollowpoint stuff).
    I am in the Austin area and have not run across much.

I am hoping to find prices in the $0.40 to $0.60 per round range.
    Wally world (home of cheap ammo) only seems to ever have Winchester PDX1 ammo for ~$19 for 20 rounds. I can only find boxes of 20/25 rounds at Academy for about the same prices. The gun shops I've called seem to have mostly 20/25 round boxes and appropriate prices.

Looking online, it seems that the pricing per round is always way better for 50 round boxes, but I don't seem to find that here for decent pricing.

Any help on this folks?

Thanks in advance,

Mic

PS - I'm not LEO so anywhere that requires you to be LEO to buy certain ammo won't help

Any ideas
    Lynx Defense

rjc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Austin
    GT Distributors is local, and for mail order I find Ammunitiontogo.com has great prices & since they are in TX fast delivery.

Col J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Austin
    Order on-line from kylesgunshop.com. Example:

Federal HST 9mm 124 gr +P LE 50 rds for $32.99 or $.66 per rd

Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P LE 50 rds for $28.99 or $.58 per rd

Just need to fax or email copy of your drivers license. Very good, quick service.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I went to GTs today. I had kind of wrote them off because I thought for defensive ammmo, you had to be LEO. Turns out that only applies to Hornady Tap.
    So, I got a box of Speer Gold Dot (one of my preferred). After taxes, it came out to right about $0.50 per round.

Only downside is a limit of 50 round per month.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Hey, Mic.

Seems you already knew about Wally world's PDX-1s. FYI, from reading and watching reviews of the PDX round, it has a tendency to over penetrate and be inconsistent in expansion.

Btw, what other defense rounds does GTs carry?

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks for the info on the PDX1, Sid. I probably would have purchased them if they had them in boxes of 50 reasonable priced per round.

I don't remember all the brands specifically. They had the Hornady TAP and Speer got as I mentioned. They also had some federal hollowpoints - I think a couple different types. Decent selection, but I'm partial to Speer Gold dots and Winchester Ranger T's, so I wasn't really looking much further after I ran across the Speer (didn't see the Ranger T's though).

HuttoAg96

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Hutto (Austin)
    I assumed you had to be LEO to by defensive ammo at GT Dist as well. So that's not true?! They have a great price on the Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P short barrel... I think it was 17.99/20. At Red's that stuff costs like 24 or 25 bucks for the same box.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Correct. I am not LEO and purchased Speer Gold Dot. Again, guy at counter told me only Hornady TAP required you to be LEO.

To heck with that box of 20...I walked out the door with a box of 50 (124 grain +p) for $24.xx after tax. Base price was like $22.xx. For whatever reason, per round price for boxes of 50 are WAY cheaper everywhere. I guess the cardboard and plastic cost a lot.

Top Bottom