When is a Silencer not a Silencer

Axxe55

Just me and the dog.
Dec 15, 2019
In the Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
The BATF rules and laws and regulations sometimes get very convoluted and confusing rather quickly.

An air rifle with a suppressor is legal, without a tax stamp, because it's not attached to a firearm, but if you remove it, put it on a real firearm, it becomes an illegal suppressor!

kenboyles72

TGT Supporter
Oct 15, 2017
Gladewater,TX
The BATF rules and laws and regulations sometimes get very convoluted and confusing rather quickly.

An air rifle with a suppressor is legal, without a tax stamp, because it's not attached to a firearm, but if you remove it, put it on a real firearm, it becomes an illegal suppressor!
Yeah, but I thought that if you did attach a can to an air rifle/pistol, it had to be made to not come off or majority of it, without damaging the barrel or making the air rifle/piston inoperable. So permanently affixed.

kenboyles72

TGT Supporter
Oct 15, 2017
Gladewater,TX
OK, a suppressor can or can not be attached permanently to a airgun. If you buy a legal suppressor and permanently attach it to an airgun, it is no longer a suppressor. If it is removable, it is a suppressor, no matter what you put it on. If you cut off a permanently attached suppressor, whether you discard it or keep it, it is suppressor. If you discard it, without the proper procedures, you are in violation of law.

TX oddball

Jan 20, 2021
DFW
I had a "faux" suppressor on my CZ Scorpion Micro, like in this stock photo

It looked like a Silencerco Osprey, but not as cool since it was fake. Took it off and replaced it with a 3-lug muzzle adapter. The fake can was lame, and I understand the 2nd gen of the Micro eliminated this feature.

Kayt00

TGT Supporter
Jan 1, 2021
North DFW
Ultimately it is up to the ATF to decide whether they think/feel/had a inkling, that it is a silencer or not, and up to you and your lawyer to disprove their claim, at your expense.
Yeah, I keep going back to the video that was posted somewhere else on this forum I think. Best to leave it alone I guess, but the idea sounded good at first.

Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
North Texas
If you purchased your suppressor from a dealer that has a range, you can use it on their range. You own it, you just can't take it off the property without having a tax stamp.

I shot with all 4 of my store bought suppressor's many times before my stamps got approved.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads