• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I ask because I have an idea, since my can is in NFA jail currently I want to mock everything up on my pistol to get a feel for how it's going to feel and to make sure clearances are good. It doesn't seem that you can buy a mock-up can with identical dimensions and weight that's compatable with the mounting system you intend to use. Would it be possible to build something like that, would it be considered a silencer if it contained no baffles, wasn't designed to be used as a silencer, but still reduces noise somehow?
    Guns International

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Soooo....it's still a silencer. Gotcha
    Not saying that, but the wrong person brings a charge, you could very well beat it in court, but you will have to hire an attorney with experience in federal court to defend you.
    In simple math, you could buy suppressors for every gun you own and still have enough left over to buy a machine gun to suppress after paying this hypothetical attorney.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Because I want to utilize the device that I'll be using to mount it but don't want to shoot the thing with just the brake. 300 black is bad enough to shooters around you with a flash can. Just trying to be considerate of other shooters around me I guess.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Technically, as long as it didn't suppress the sound it would be an inert fake suppressor. But in these times, with just about anything being gun related coming under scrutiny, I have to agree with @Hoji , that yes, you more than likely would beat it in court, but at what expense? IMO, I'd just wait it out, since it's just not worth the hassle or headache that might go along with that.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Waiting it out is it then I guess. Saves time looking for a lathe, that I could put to better use doing homework not to mention the $$$.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    But, just for the sake of discussion I guess what I was really wondering is what is the noise reduction required for a muzzle device to be considered an NFA item? Measured from where, the shooters ear, to the side, 10 yards down range, 100 yards downrange? Because at 100 yards, air is a pretty good silencer on its own and it's touching the muzzle so therefore must be an NFA item right?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    But, just for the sake of discussion I guess what I was really wondering is what is the noise reduction required for a muzzle device to be considered an NFA item? Measured from where, the shooters ear, to the side, 10 yards down range, 100 yards downrange? Because at 100 yards, air is a pretty good silencer on its own and it's touching the muzzle so therefore must be an NFA item right?

IIRC, and if I'm wrong, hopefully someone can correct me, but any device attached to the muzzle that even suppresses sound by 1 decibel is considered a suppressor by the ATF. I'm thinking the sound is measured within 5 feet of the muzzle.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    IIRC, and if I'm wrong, hopefully someone can correct me, but any device attached to the muzzle that even suppresses sound by 1 decibel is considered a suppressor by the ATF. I'm thinking the sound is measured within 5 feet of the muzzle.
    Hmmmm? I'd certainly like to see the statute in writing on that deal. I don't think just anything attached to the end of the barrel could be looked at as a suppressor. They sell fake suppressors and I wonder if legally they can be construed as a "suppressor".

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Hmmmm? I'd certainly like to see the statute in writing on that deal. I don't think just anything attached to the end of the barrel could be looked at as a suppressor. They sell fake suppressors and I wonder if legally they can be construed as a "suppressor".
    Because I'm sure they reduce the noise at least a little bit...

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Because I want to utilize the device that I'll be using to mount it but don't want to shoot the thing with just the brake. 300 black is bad enough to shooters around you with a flash can. Just trying to be considerate of other shooters around me I guess.
    Some stores with a range will allow you to shoot your can while it is in 'jail'.

Barring that, buy a "blast can".

Top Bottom