Lynx Defense

Whats the opinion on Red dots on pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yes/No Red dots on Pistols (Comp or CCW)

• Add it

Votes: 8 72.7%
    • Hell No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Whats the opinion on Red dots on pistols? Is it worth doing? Ive started seeing/hearing about more and more people mounting RMR's and the like on pistols even for CCW's. Im thinking of maybe(BIG maybe) putting one on my M&P and relocatign the rear sight in the next year.
    Texas SOT

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Curious about this myself. It would help in getting a faster sight picture (which is why it would be on a lot of race guns), easier to pick up and any time of day or night. Gotta worry about dropping pistol, or damaging the sight more then you would with irons, and batteries, though.

I like the idea of being able to be a few miliseconds faster, but if you can mount it in front of your existing irons, do that, so you have a back up.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've had the small red dot on some Glocks. I liked them. Great for acquiring a target quick and increases accuracy a great deal. I guess they could be fragile to some extent but I never had any issures carrying concealed.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    OH I like this machining job!

P1000471.jpg

P1000470.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    My FNP-45 was made for them. It's got a factory cutout and adapters for installing a couple different ones. (However it does not take the C-more, ugggg, the one I had when I bought the pistol.) So some of the manufacturers are seeing a demand or need for them.

I like the idea and will be putting a Burris Fastfire on a Ruger MKII pretty soon.

Yeah, just like the posted pictures above, that factory standard on those..............

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I'll probably end up getting one on my Glock 19. I have a hard time getting the rear sights into focus nowadays and I think an RMR would be good medicine.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I think it is a great idea. I got to play with one in a class one time. It does take some getting used to though as there is a tendency to try to snatch at the dot under pressure.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't use gimmicks or gizmos on a pistol and shoot iron sights only. The exceptions are on my house guns that both have lasers since I expect to use them at night. I will change grips on a hand gun if the originals don't suit me.

I'm the same way with cars and motorcycles. I don't dress them up. I just drive 'em.

Flash

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I had a guy let me try out his .22 with one on it....maybe it's cause I'm just not used to it, but I had a harder time trying to get the dot on the glass than anything else. But once I had my dot-damn, it was pretty accurate!

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I don't use gimmicks or gizmos on a pistol and shoot iron sights only. The exceptions are on my house guns that both have lasers since I expect to use them at night. I will change grips on a hand gun if the originals don't suit me.

I'm the same way with cars and motorcycles. I don't dress them up. I just drive 'em.

Flash

Actually, the red dot is less if a gimmick than the lasers.
    You co-witness the red dot with the irons.

Sent from me.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    The rear sight SHOULD be out of focus when you shoot. The front sight is your point of focus.

Ya. I guess I should have said "rear OR FRONT sights into focus". I have great distance vision by my near vision is beginning to go south... hell, I have a hard time reading this forum post without glasses.

Top Bottom