• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    @Sasquatch That's interesting to read your experience. I wonder it if has to do with the 4" version? My 5" 9mm has been a great shooter.

There are two key changes I think influence my experience. The M2.0 has a longer, stiffer steel chassis embedded into the frame to eliminate frame flex. The other, which may even be more key - is the deletion of the beavertail tang.

I have had the Gen 1 full size (3 of them, actually) and the Gen 1 Compact (now called subcompact in 2.0 flavor, but its the same gun just with the 2.0 changes)

The Gen 1 Compact didn't have a beavertail, but I shot *it* better then the 2.0 Compact 4 inch. So I think the stiffer frame does also lend to the change in how the gun shoots. I don't know if Smith & Wesson monkeyed with the recoil spring assembly - I don't recall if the 2.0 had a plastic rod, or steel, and what the spring was like. My 1.0 has a steel guide rod from the factory with a flat spring.

I would love to shoot a Gen 1 gun vs a 2.0 full size side by side to compare.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    There are two key changes I think influence my experience. The M2.0 has a longer, stiffer steel chassis embedded into the frame to eliminate frame flex. The other, which may even be more key - is the deletion of the beavertail tang.

I have had the Gen 1 full size (3 of them, actually) and the Gen 1 Compact (now called subcompact in 2.0 flavor, but its the same gun just with the 2.0 changes)

The Gen 1 Compact didn't have a beavertail, but I shot *it* better then the 2.0 Compact 4 inch. So I think the stiffer frame does also lend to the change in how the gun shoots. I don't know if Smith & Wesson monkeyed with the recoil spring assembly - I don't recall if the 2.0 had a plastic rod, or steel, and what the spring was like. My 1.0 has a steel guide rod from the factory with a flat spring.

I admit I've only shot the Gen 1 in .45 AARP so I don't have an apples to apples comparison. I'll need to pull them both out and compare the internals because admittedly, I haven't noticed these things.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

When the 2.0 came out I was not impressed. I still have a gen 1 full size in 40.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I admit I've only shot the Gen 1 in .45 AARP so I don't have an apples to apples comparison. I'll need to pull them both out and compare the internals because admittedly, I haven't noticed these things.

You won't notice a lot - the steel supports are molded into the frame, per Smith & Wesson. You might notice extra material in the dust cover area, and you can see in the weird divots on the 2.0's the steel chassis on the sides. Internally not much changed besides the trigger - I do like the 2.0 trigger a tad more, but my 1.0 has a pretty good trigger from the box, that is lighter than any standard Glock trigger.

I've owned the Gen 1 45 Compact (4 inch, like a fat Glock 19) that I really enjoyed. It too, had no beavertail, but it was a better shooter than the 2.0 Compact 9mm.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    If you guys want to try a striker fired gun that is night and day better than an mp or Glock, try a steyr. I’d trade any of my mp and glocks for more.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If you guys want to try a striker fired gun that is night and day better than an mp or Glock, try a steyr. I’d trade any of my mp and glocks for more.

That's why I bought my Walther, TBH. They knocked that one out of the ball park from the ergonomic standpoint - the trigger... I'm taking it to the range this week for our first session together. I'm not ready to ditch my M&P for it - but its the same size, its actually lighter in weight (at least till I put an optic on it, we'll see then) and it balances ever so slightly better, and I get 1 more round in the full size mags vs my M&P. Bonus - it takes Glock sights and they're way easier to change than Smith & Wesson sights. TBH I have never swapped out any of my M&P's sights because they are a royal pain in the ass. I'll black them out, paint them a high vis color, but I won't change M&P sights myself. I'll change Glock pattern sights all day long with just a hammer, a punch, and the front sight hex driver.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    That's why I bought my Walther, TBH. They knocked that one out of the ball park from the ergonomic standpoint - the trigger... I'm taking it to the range this week for our first session together. I'm not ready to ditch my M&P for it - but its the same size, its actually lighter in weight (at least till I put an optic on it, we'll see then) and it balances ever so slightly better, and I get 1 more round in the full size mags vs my M&P. Bonus - it takes Glock sights and they're way easier to change than Smith & Wesson sights. TBH I have never swapped out any of my M&P's sights because they are a royal pain in the ass. I'll black them out, paint them a high vis color, but I won't change M&P sights myself. I'll change Glock pattern sights all day long with just a hammer, a punch, and the front sight hex driver.
    I like mp’s. I regret trading off my midsized 45 with night sights. That was a good gun and great ergonomics for a 45.

My mp 40 is my beater gun. Grass clippings and dirt is it’s lubricant.

The steyr is not for everyone but if you think a cz75 has good ergonomics then don’t buy the cz and get the steyr. It amplifies what the cz has going. The sights will take time getting used to but once you do it’s an amazing system. Very fast sight picture. It feels like it removes time screwing around with left and right and it’s plenty accurate. Then the trigger is very nice for a striker fired gun. Very crisp and in that sweet spot.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    When I first got my concealed carry permit many years ago I started carrying a glock 19. I have had dalliances with 1911s, sig 365 and the 365XL, a 320 xcompact, Steyr M9a1, glock 32 and 30s, even went a couple of years carrying a glock 34 all the time. I just keep coming back to the Glock 19. Other than the 34 I just seem to shoot the 19 the best. My wife just told me I could buy a staccato if I choose too and I think I might just buy 3 more glock 19s. What is the one for yall that just never goes away??

For EDC, it is the G19, like you.

When afield, 1911 or G21 for large animal defense.

leVieux

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    For EDC, it is the G19, like you.

When afield, 1911 or G21 for large animal defense.

leVieux

Curious what loads you're using for the large animals - standard JHP rounds, FMJ, or a more specialty round (semi-wadcutter in the 1911?) like the stuff from Lehigh Defense? Besides gators, what predators are you mostly concerned with? Cougar, coyote, methbillies?

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    I have 2 of them, but both of mine are full size. If I could find a glock 19 sized steyr I would definitely buy it. The only downside to the steyr is I have yet to find a holster for the m9a2 mf and the mags were tough to find when I bought it. I think the triangle sights are amazing, but the lack of support for carry equipment with the steyrs leaves me making them mostly range toys.

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Curious what loads you're using for the large animals - standard JHP rounds, FMJ, or a more specialty round (semi-wadcutter in the 1911?) like the stuff from Lehigh Defense? Besides gators, what predators are you mostly concerned with? Cougar, coyote, methbillies?
    I can't speak for others, but I have used the Buffalo bore hard cast in 9mm and 10mm both when out in the woods. I had a run in with a pig on our property 2 years back and the 10mm hard cast squared him up well. I'm sure the .45 would be OK.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I have 2 of them, but both of mine are full size. If I could find a glock 19 sized steyr I would definitely buy it. The only downside to the steyr is I have yet to find a holster for the m9a2 mf and the mags were tough to find when I bought it. I think the triangle sights are amazing, but the lack of support for carry equipment with the steyrs leaves me making them mostly range toys.
    They do often require custom holsters.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

I think the S9 comes in a compact version, but its an older pistol not currently in production. Per their website, they only come in compact barrel lengths, but grip frames are all the same length and take 17 round mags.

As for holsters - yeah, I get that its hard to get a holster for one. I've had some of those less-than popular guns before and its a bitch finding gear.

Craft holsters makes leather for the Steyr. Not sure who makes current kydex stuff. The very first kydex-bending video I ever saw when I got into making my own, was a guy who was making a kydex rig for his Steyr.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Usually have a Federal Premium HydraShock in the chamber and regular Federal Premium "FMJ's in magazines. The .357 is all HydraShocks.

A visiting Nurse was killed by feral hogs at Anahuac a couple years back. Some 30 years back, I knew a ranch manager at Junction who was attacked and seriously injured by Javelinas. Yes, Javelinas.

leVieux

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Had a lifelong love for the snubbies. For the most part S&W's but I have owned Charter Arms, Colts, and Rugers as well. I tend to be long term in my gun love
    Awhile back I heard of the Ruger EC9s at a price that was hard to believe. Bought one and fell in love with a semi.
    Now for small framed weapons that I keep close I can go either way.
    I've never felt underarmed with a revolver. I guess revolvers are why I'm anti spray and pray. Later in life the 45acp removed any need. In my working days I was 45acp or nothing on duty. I miss my S&W4506

Top Bottom