• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I had tried out some CCI Quiet-22 a long while back. I got 1.5" to 2" accuracy at 50 yards. I couldn't tell how loud they were because I was at the range with a bunch of people, but it certainly did not cycle my 10/22.

2Target3s.jpg

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I have a 28" barrel CZ 22 bolt that sounds like a pellet gun with standard velocity long rifle.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Those are good, I have also had good luck with CCI .22 CB Longs. I shoot them in the house and the just about the only thing you hear is the clang when it hits the steel target.

edited to add, same power (or lack of it) as the CB caps. However, they reliability function in bolt, slide, and lever action rifles designed for .22 LR. Good for semi-autos as well if you don't mind cycling the action each time.

Used to shoot squirrels in the back yard with these using a bolt rifle. Sounded like a pellet gun.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have used the CB shorts in my old Single shot Remington Targetmaster. All you can hear is the firing pin striking the rim. Just a click. I don't know how quiet they would be in a revolver tho. I need to find some CB longs. Just because they are easier to handle when loading.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As to noise, shooting out of my 39A lever gun I rank them

CCI Quiet -the loudest of this group, but still quiet. I don't think you could get away with shooting this much in an urban backyard.

CCI CB's either the long or short - About like the pop of a pump up pellet gun, and much quieter than a spring piston pellet gun.

Aquila Super Colibri (20 gr @ 500 fps) very quiet

Aquila Colibri (20 gr at @375) quieter than a small boy's fart

As the noise level decreases due to less power (or no powder) and lighter bullets, the accuracy and range also decrease. The Colbri 375 fps is noted on the box not to fire in rifles, but I've not had one get stuck in my 39A. I think the micro rifling is more forgiving.

Note: the CCI CB's have been out of stock forever, but the Aquilas are pretty easy to fine, at least on line.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just did some Chrono testing on some super colibri and CB shorts.

From a Buck Mark hunter 7.5" bbl

Super Colibi: 569fps, 541fps, 568fps

Fair pop, similar to a good pellet gun

CCI CB short: 650fps, 701fps, 598fps

About like a loud pellet gun. Descent pop.

I don't know that either would be great for back yard work out of a handgun, but probably wouldn't be noticed unless a neighbor were outdoors on the same side of their house. CB shorts would be a push.

Out of a Wards Westernfield model bolt action, 26" bbl:

Super Colibri: 563fps, 574fps, 547fps

Sound was pretty soft, similar to low power BB gun

CB Short: 756fps, 740fps, 737fps

About double the noise level of the super colibri, but still quiet enough for back yard work.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The Aguila Super Colibri is fairly quiet, though I'm not sure how the slug itself performs.

I use the Aquila rounds. Those Super Colibri rounds sound like a pellet gun. Fairly accurate too. My BIL has killed a hundred squirrels with that bullet.

Would only recommend for revolver use.

+1 for these rounds. Down to my last 2 boxes and may be waiting for the price to drop at academy. I have used them on some medium to small sized birds which were 30-50 yards away. Killed some, pissed off others. Depends on placement really I suppose. I can say that from my back door they WILL go through a solid 3/4" fence board though and they bring a lot more energy than a bb or pellet.

As for the projectile itself, they don't deform much. They tend to stay pretty intact. I have recovered several for inspection.

As for the noise, I shoot from a winchester 72a bolt action. Can't hear them. Sounds like a fly swatter.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Also, I traded a guy a while back for a little single shot bolt gun for my daughters. The kolibri rounds get stuck in the barrel of that one

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Oh I suppose both barrels are about 18 inches. My rifle is a winchester 72a bolt action and works great and cycles great. Daughters is a savage 54 or 58 maybe?

The barrel on the girls rifle is a little darker though. I assumed it was either a slightly tighter rifling pattern or just a worn out and fouled barrel. Maybe I'll try cleaning it up a little and see how it does. It does shoot good with standard loads though

Brian Boru

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2014
    Texas
    I went to the Waco Gander Mountain grand opening the other day. Bought some boxes of CCI Quiet-22 40 grain 710 fps lead round nose. They have it priced at $3.99 for a box of 50 right now. I have a little bit of trouble cycling it in my Winchester semi auto rifle. But I think it's the quietest 22 LR I have ever used. It's honestly not as loud as one of the 177 pellet guns I shoot. I will be using this stuff on squirrels.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I went to the Waco Gander Mountain grand opening the other day. Bought some boxes of CCI Quiet-22 40 grain 710 fps lead round nose. They have it priced at $3.99 for a box of 50 right now. I have a little bit of trouble cycling it in my Winchester semi auto rifle. But I think it's the quietest 22 LR I have ever used. It's honestly not as loud as one of the 177 pellet guns I shoot. I will be using this stuff on squirrels.
    I had the same issue with my pellet gun being too loud... I gave it away and use the 22 now.

Has anyone used the Aquila 60gr sniper subsonic? I bought a box but haven't used any yet. I bought them in case I need to be quiet but still hit harder than the kolibri does

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I had the same issue with my pellet gun being too loud... I gave it away and use the 22 now.

Has anyone used the Aquila 60gr sniper subsonic? I bought a box but haven't used any yet. I bought them in case I need to be quiet but still hit harder than the kolibri does
    The SSS rounds work pretty well in a 10/22. One of their selling points is they cycle in semi autos.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've used the CCI 22short CB rounds for squirrels and birds in San Diego. Never managed to get the cops called on me with those... I've used the aguila super colibri rounds in my yard here to scare off some grackles. Doesn't kill them the majority of the time but sure gets them mad enough to stay away from my bedroom window in the morning.

Note: shooting a grackle with a 22 kolibri at 40+ yards doesn't seem to kill them but shooting a standard fence boars at 15 yards does go through. If you shoot a grackle in that range they will likely die. Results may vary

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Today I took the CCI 22 quiet and the aguila super colibri out to the range. I stacked them in the mag tube as 1 aguila, 1 CCI, 1 aguila, 1 CCI and so on for a total of 10 rounds. My wife fired them while I sat I. The next lane about equal to the muzzle -1'... This was with my Winchester 72a.

With the aguila I heard almost zero noise, with the CCI I still heard noise but it was a little quieter than the standard (american eagle 38gr plated hp) 22 rounds.

So, if you're looking for violence in silence, the colibri is the way to go

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom