Hurley's Gold

Whats the least pleasant gun you've shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    +++++++++
    AMT Backup .45 ACP- it has a long, stiff, gritty trigger and an extremely snappy recoil. I thought it blew up the first time I fired it but, unfortunately, it was just the way it works.
    My brother left his Ithaca 37 to me. It has a 26" barrel and a straight comb stock and, with a turkey load, it feels like a Mike Tyson sucker punch to the shoulder. It's brutal. My son hates it even with dove loads.

Coop's Dad,

I love the Ithaca 37. = IF you decide to sell it, I'd like first refusal, as I'm a left-handed guy.
    (I would likely cut the barrel down to 22", as I like short/fast-pointing pump-guns & 22 inches "matches" the length of my Remington 760 rifles.)

yours, satx
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    S&W .500 Magnum... my older brother has one. I shot one cylinder, one time... never again, thanks.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    S&W .500 Magnum... my older brother has one. I shot one cylinder, one time... never again, thanks.

SURVIVOR619,

I've often thought that the ONLY reason for the S&W "big" 500MAG is to have a handgun that's more powerful than the .44MAG.
    I can see NO good use for one in my life.
    (My brother has a pair of Model 29 S&W revolvers. One is 4" & the other is about 6.5".= IF I was going to go fishing in Grizzly country, I would likely borrow the 4", carry it in my N-frame belt holster/gun-belt & load it with "Little Brother Ed's", heavy for caliber, HC handloads.)

yours, satx

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    SURVIVOR619,

I've often thought that the ONLY reason for the S&W "big" 500MAG is to have a handgun that's more powerful than the .44MAG.
    I can see NO good use for one in my life.
    (My brother has a pair of Model 29 S&W revolvers. One is 4" & the other is about 6.5".= IF I was going to go fishing in Grizzly country, I would likely borrow the 4", carry it in my N-frame belt holster/gun-belt & load it with "Little Brother Ed's", heavy for caliber, HC handloads.)

yours, satx

I can see some advantage it would have for defense against grizzlies up North where the 44 mag might fall just a bit short (that's debatable), but that's about it. Short of that, I see them as basically novelty guns. Though, I do want a 6" 460 S&W Mag. It would be far more versatile than the 500 Mag since you can shoot both 45 Colt and 454 Casull out of it, but you would still have the option of using a stupidly powerful round. It would mainly be a range toy, maybe a little hunting too.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I can see some advantage it would have for defense against grizzlies up North where the 44 mag might fall just a bit short (that's debatable), but that's about it. Short of that, I see them as basically novelty guns. Though, I do want a 6" 460 S&W Mag. It would be far more versatile than the 500 Mag since you can shoot both 45 Colt and 454 Casull out of it, but you would still have the option of using a stupidly powerful round. It would mainly be a range toy, maybe a little hunting too.

Maverick44,

Inasmuch as I took a nearly 460 pound feral boar with the 4" Model 29 about 35M & he fell as if hit with a 10 pound sledge between the running lights, I see NO real need for more power in a handgun than that.

OBVIOUSLY ANYONE is free to disagree with me but my practical experience with that revolver on a BIG/TOUGH boar & upon other critters tells me that it's enough power, with power to spare.
    (Fyi, "back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth", i.e., when I was a young City Marshal, I carried a 4" Model 29, loaded with .44SPL lead FN rounds, as a duty weapon & NEVER felt "under-armed". = Shortly after I bought the .44 MAG "for peanuts", i.e., 150.oo. from a local civilian, who said that he couldn't handle the recoil, I too decided that the .44SPL was PLENTY of power for LE & without the horrendous muzzle blast & recoil of the MAX factory loads that I got a 1/2 box of, with the revolver out of the 4" tube.)

NOBODY can kill any creature DEADER than DEAD, including with a howitzer.

yours, satx

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Gents, Maverick44 and satx78247, good points; appreciated.

For me, the .500 mag is a novelty. I likely wouldn't be too effective with it in a real situation. For my brother, well, he goes out of his way to prove to the world that he's the biggest baddest dude, hence the gun. /smh

Regards guys,

S619

Mr.candrews

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Rowlett
    What gun have you shot, upon firing made you immediately put it back down?

For me its those .45/.410 bond arms derrengers. As if the jam-your-hand-in-a-blender recoil impusle wasn't bad enough, you only get 2 rounds in a heavy, and rather bulky gun. No thanks.

I can agree with that I cannot stand derringers they are not meant for big hands that's for sure

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Are you referring to this stuff?

Possibly. The stuff I got a hold of had a some kind of silver colored jackets with an odd crimp grove. I don't recall what the weight was. Next time I head out into the shop, I'll take some pics.

I shot that stuff out of my Turkish Mauser (not a light gun by any means), and boy, it still gave you a good jolt. I'd hate to think of what it would do in one of those converted Carcanos.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Possibly. The stuff I got a hold of had a some kind of silver colored jackets with an odd crimp grove. I don't recall what the weight was. Next time I head out into the shop, I'll take some pics.

I shot that stuff out of my Turkish Mauser (not a light gun by any means), and boy, it still gave you a good jolt. I'd hate to think of what it would do in one of those converted Carcanos.
    Maverick44,

I'd also hate to think about what the results would be if some DUNCE shot that Turkish ammo in a converted to "S-bore chambering" 7.9x57mm Model of 1888 COMMISSION RIFLE & that seem to be "all over the place".
    (The 1888 is DEADLY out to > 250M & works fine with typical US factory 8x57mm "deer loads" by FEDERAL, REMINGTON & WINCHESTER, which are intentionally "low-powered" for essentially all rifles that are marked "8mm Mauser", btw.)

Note: The "re-chambered by the WWII German arsenals" Model of 1888 rifles worked reasonably well & SAFELY with the standard WWII-era 8mm service ammo.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Maverick44; All,

Fwiw, MY re-arsenaled "S-bore" Commission Rifle (built in Berlin in 1892 & reissued in 1945 for WWII) is a full-length rifled musket with a 29" tube & I've wondered what the velocity of my (S-A War .30-40 Krag equivalent) 215 grain GCCB is out of that LONG, "shotgun-looking" sleeved, barrel.
    (I don't have access to a chronograph BUT any number of feral hogs & other critters have learned that they are NOT at all safe, well out beyond 200M, IF I have the old RM in hand.= That long/slender/pointed 8mm GCCB, in front of 24 grains of IMR 4198, is A KILLER & "all out of proportion to" its modest report/recoil/velocity.)

Cast-bullet reloads are DOWNRIGHT CHEAP too shoot/hunt with, too.

Btw, I paid 40.oo for the Commission Rifle in 2001 or 2002 of the wall of a WV "junk-shop", took it home, disassembled it, cleaned it up, refinished the stock (for at least the 3rd time) & took it to the range with some of my cast reloads to see what 'the old gal" would do off the sandbags.= VERY PLEASED with one ragged hole at the 100M line as the result & after re-zeroing the sights.

yours, satx

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Most recently?

A Smith Wesson 329PD.

From their web ad:
    "Smith & Wesson combined a Scandium alloy frame with a Titanium cylinder to build the strongest and lightest weight .44 Magnum revolver made. The result...maximum power in a small, lightweight, easy-to-carry package".

My buddy purportedly got the 1 1/2 lb 44mag to hike in bear country.
    It's sure as heck not much fun to shoot in Tx hill country.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Most recently?

A Smith Wesson 329PD.

From their web ad:
    "Smith & Wesson combined a Scandium alloy frame with a Titanium cylinder to build the strongest and lightest weight .44 Magnum revolver made. The result...maximum power in a small, lightweight, easy-to-carry package".

My buddy purportedly got the 1 1/2 lb 44mag to hike in bear country.
    It's sure as heck not much fun to shoot in Tx hill country.
    But I'll bet that if you were shooting at a bear - at handgun distance, there would be NO perceived recoil.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    BRD@66,

My WORRY would be that that alloy frame would NOT hold up long enough to get used to shooting it well. = ImVho, the S&W Model 329, is "- - - - - an answer to a question that should not have been asked."

As I've said elsewhere on the forum, I carried a Model 29 w/4" barrel as a city marshal, when I was much younger & shot/liked it fine with .44SPL LSWC ammo as a "duty weapon".

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    BRD@66,

My WORRY would be that that alloy frame would NOT hold up long enough to get used to shooting it well. = ImVho, the S&W Model 329, is "- - - - - an answer to a question that should not have been asked."

As I've said elsewhere on the forum, I carried a Model 29 w/4" barrel as a city marshal, when I was much younger & shot/liked it fine with .44SPL LSWC ammo as a "duty weapon".

yours, satx
    Unfortunately unlike .357 where 38 special is cheaper to shoot, 44 magnum is cheaper than 44 special.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    easyrider,

In those days, "when dinosaurs roamed the Earth", I carried my own homebrewed .44spl loads for the range AND on/off duty, too.
    My target/duty load was cast from an "old school" & MAYBE "Black Powder era", 2-cavity bullet mold (with half plumber's lead mixed with half wheel-weights), that "dropped" a 255 grain cup-base soft lead slug, loaded in front of 7 grains of UNIQUE.
    (Even then, I was TOO CHEAP to shoot much factory ammo.)

NOTE: Speaking of "old school", my brother-of-the-heart, who has forgotten more than I know about reloading/casting/molds/etc., "worked up a S-A War .30-40 Krag equivalent" 150 grain GCCB load for me that KILLS DEER quite well thank you, out of my .300SAV Model 760. = Like I said, I'm generally TOO CHEAP to buy "factory" ammo. - It's quite similar to the equally "old school" & so-called "HIGH SPEED load" for the old .32-40WCF.
    (My "little brother" was the "inventor" of "THE LOAD" that works in a LOT of different calibers/cases that are .30-40 Krag case capacity or greater. = 12 grains of GREEN DOT or RED DOT behind a 150-160 grain homebrew GCCB works WELL for plinking/WT/critters out to well beyond 150M from my .300SAV pump.)
    Note: NINE or TEN grains of either shotgun power, with that same CB (& without a GC), is equivalent to the "Standard Speed" .32-40WCF, which is PURE DEATH on "medium game" to about 50-60#. = That load is REALLY CHEAP to load/shoot & I like it vary much for "whole onto the BBQ pit size, wee piggies", coyotes, rabbits, coons, possums, etc.
    (My Uncle Josh used an ancient .32-40WCF saddle carbine "to great success" on WT but I doubt it he ever shot at a deer for "camp meat" out beyond 50M.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom