• ...and so much more!
  • innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I miss buying lamb close dated lamb racks that got masked down! From the size of those chops it looks to be domestic lamb! Never seen lamb hearts in 36 years of retail meat cutting.
    I was surprised by the size of the chops. After onion rings, the heart and risotto I only ate one chop. Brought the other one home.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Curious what that run you & were @?
    Foreign and Domestic in Austin. The lamb chop dish was $40. We usually sit at the counter overlooking the prep and kitchen. They make a really good gnocchi. That's what I was going to get till I saw the size of the rack they took out for another customer. It's a little pricey but it was really good

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Domestic lamb generally runs twice what import is! In a retail setting it price & higher fat content keeps it from selling!

I’d love to score a leg to do on my Kamado! I’d butterfly it & marinate it before grilling it rare.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Domestic lamb generally runs twice what import is! In a retail setting it price & higher fat content keeps it from selling!

I’d love to score a leg to do on my Kamado! I’d butterfly it & marinate it before grilling it rare.
    You can see the fat on the chops I had. It was like butter. No gristle. They sold 7 or 8 orders while we were there

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I had some of this today. If you know, you know.
    4249BAA6-D335-441D-9603-543361B0A56D.jpeg

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Being born and raised in the cornfields and apple orchards of the upper midwest and also pretty close to Chicago, we took good pizza for granted. I don't know what happened in Texas but pizza is a freakin mystery to people that attempt to make it in central TX. Believe me, we've looked. With that said, we went to VIA 313 in Austin yesterday. They do Detroit style pizza cooked in deep metal pans. It was excellent. We finally have a decent pizza place that isn't over an hour away (Rosati's, a Chicago pizza chain with a location in Cedar Park). Our waitress told us they were going to start franchising outside Austin. I hope the quality does not suffer.
    1629092084004.png

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Being born and raised in the cornfields and apple orchards of the upper midwest and also pretty close to Chicago, we took good pizza for granted. I don't know what happened in Texas but pizza is a freakin mystery to people that attempt to make it in central TX. Believe me, we've looked. With that said, we went to VIA 313 in Austin yesterday. They do Detroit style pizza cooked in deep metal pans. It was excellent. We finally have a decent pizza place that isn't over an hour away (Rosati's, a Chicago pizza chain with a location in Cedar Park). Our waitress told us they were going to start franchising outside Austin. I hope the quality does not suffer.
    View attachment 271853
    I grew up outside of Chicago too and truly only miss an Italian beef sammich, decent pizza & Chicago hot dog! My favorite pizza joints never used a pan!

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I grew up outside of Chicago too and truly only miss an Italian beef sammich, decent pizza & Chicago hot dog! My favorite pizza joints never used a pan!
    That was one of hardest adjustments after moving down here. No beefs, no dogs, no pizza. We go back once a year and always bring back a couple frozen Giordanos deep dishes. We also order beefs/combos through Portillos mail service. Lou Malnatis has a mail service as well but i never really cared for them.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Portillo’s was never my go to place for beef or dogs! I do admire Larry Portillo’s interest in WWII Pacific history.

Local joints for food were always my favorite. There have been a few places that offered Vienna Beef dogs & sammich, but never really got it right!

While a good deep dish pizza is good, they sucked cold! A good greasy sausage & mushroom pizza was always more my type pizza.

I’ll never return to Illinois after putting my dad to rest! My sister & I have not spoke in years over dad’s estate! I talk to my brother on occasion, but he ain’t one to call me!

I have a couple of family heirlooms that I have thought about passing on to my brothers boys, but question why I would for how they acted last time home.

Attachments

• 007AA203-F50B-443D-826E-80838E4A9F16.jpeg
      007AA203-F50B-443D-826E-80838E4A9F16.jpeg
      2.5 MB · Views: 77

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Very best Italian beef/combo I ever at were mostly in bars. The very best hot dog stand was very old school with their own frank recipe! In many case the bun hot dogs & brats were served on were just important.

I try not to compromise on things like food & ammo. Like pizza joints in Texas claiming Chicago deep dish. Theron pizza I liked were deep with meat, cheese sauce & other fixings. Three inch of crust was never a deep pizza IMHO!

I learned to move on to other foods here in Texas. Houston did have vastly different ethnic food scene then Chicago area while I was there.

Like now that we are county folk great Thai, Vietnamese, India are a thing of the past for us! Buying my Kamado and grilling & smoking are now our food entertainment. I really miss eating at cheap hole in the wall joints in Houston! Having worked in retail meat for 36 years is a total buzz kill for cheap meat these days.

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    View attachment 271853
    I would even settle for a Donatoes Pizza.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Very best Italian beef/combo I ever at were mostly in bars. The very best hot dog stand was very old school with their own frank recipe! In many case the bun hot dogs & brats were served on were just important.

I try not to compromise on things like food & ammo. Like pizza joints in Texas claiming Chicago deep dish. Theron pizza I liked were deep with meat, cheese sauce & other fixings. Three inch of crust was never a deep pizza IMHO!

I learned to move on to other foods here in Texas. Houston did have vastly different ethnic food scene then Chicago area while I was there.

Like now that we are county folk great Thai, Vietnamese, India are a thing of the past for us! Buying my Kamado and grilling & smoking are now our food entertainment. I really miss eating at cheap hole in the wall joints in Houston! Having worked in retail meat for 36 years is a total buzz kill for cheap meat these days.
    We have acclimated quite well to all the BBQ and texmex around us and are now venturing out more for different asian/indian food.....BUT, sometimes you just need a dog and a beef.

Top Bottom