Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Any thing by Lee Child, his Jack Reacher series
    W.E.B.Griffen has a ton of good books.
    John Sanford Prey series =20 books in the series
    James Rollins
    Stephen Hunter, One of his books was made into the movie Shooter.
    Robert Crais -Joe Pine novels
    Just a few to start with,Hope you like them.
    Target Sports

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Anything by Michael Connelly and anything by Elmore Leonard. No combat or SO's but long on adventure and intrigue.
    And I guess I'm going to read "The Gift of Fear".

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you want some no shit knowledge on how the insurgency was set up in Iraq, I would have to suggest "The Terrorists of Iraq, Inside the Strategy and Tactics of the Iraq Insurgency" By Malcolm W. Nance. It's not a story, but a text book on the smelly bearded "men" we have been thrashing. I highly doubt you will ever read a book about this conflict that is more spot on about the enemy than this. That is coming from my experience, as well as the experience of everyone I have ever known that has read the book.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I was wondering if any of you guys had any info on some good books. I am looking for a few good fiction books. To be more specific, I am looking for some real life navy seal, crazy Iraq type stuff. Or anything that you think is a must read.

THANKS!

Not sure this meets your criteria, and it is definitely not fiction, but allow me to suggest a book by Mark Levin "Liberty and Tyranny". A must read for all Patriots.

Dirt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Nowheresville, Tx
    Thanks to all you guys. I now have a nice wish list of books to read. I ordered 3 and when I get them read I will order and read some more! All these books will make for a great bookshelf!

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I love to read. I've read a lot of books in my long life but there are a few that always stand out as my favorites. They are not necessarily shoot em ups or spook books but great reads. I'm sure there are many I don't remember but the following books I'll never forget.

1) The Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher

2) Winds Of War by Herman Wouk

3) War & Rememberance by Herman Wouk

4) Centennial by James Michener

5) Hawaii by James Michener

6) Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

7) The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry

Several of the above were made into movies or mini-series but the books were much better, especially The Mountain Man. Pure poetry, much better than the movie, will make you want to move to the mountains.
    Winds of War and War & Rememberance are long books but you will regret it when they end. The characters become very real.
    Cenntennial and Hawaii are Michener at his best.
    And who better than McMurtry to write about the great Lone Star State in such a interesting and humorous way?

I'm glad you started this thread Mr Dirt. I'll check out some of the other recommendations.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    W. E. B. Griffin, John Sanford, and Stephen Hunter have already been mentioned and I second that, but don't forget Sanford's other books on Kidd and Flowers. Also look for the Doc Ford novels by Randy Wayne White and the Thorn, P.I. books by James W. Hall for some Florida (and other locations) action, or Steve Hamilton and Steve Thayer for adventure in the frozen North, mainly Michigan and Canada. Harold Coyle wrote several books while a serving Army officer, all military oriented.

These authors probably have a total of 100-120 books out. That ought to keep you busy for a while.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I love to read. I've read a lot of books in my long life but there are a few that always stand out as my favorites. They are not necessarily shoot em ups or spook books but great reads. I'm sure there are many I don't remember but the following books I'll never forget.

1) The Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher

2) Winds Of War by Herman Wouk

3) War & Rememberance by Herman Wouk

4) Centennial by James Michener

5) Hawaii by James Michener

6) Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

7) The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry

Several of the above were made into movies or mini-series but the books were much better, especially The Mountain Man. Pure poetry, much better than the movie, will make you want to move to the mountains.
    Winds of War and War & Rememberance are long books but you will regret it when they end. The characters become very real.
    Cenntennial and Hawaii are Michener at his best.
    And who better than McMurtry to write about the great Lone Star State in such a interesting and humorous way?

I'm glad you started this thread Mr Dirt. I'll check out some of the other recommendations.
    I was going to suggest anything by Larry McMurtry but a bunch of his stuff is a little on the fem side. I'm okay with that because it's still very good reading, but this is a gun forum.....

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I was going to suggest anything by Larry McMurtry but a bunch of his stuff is a little on the fem side. I'm okay with that because it's still very good reading, but this is a gun forum.....

If I remember correctly there were a few mentions of guns and shooting in Lonesome Dove. Like when he (Gus) slit his horse's throat and used his body as a shield, and killing one of the bad guys with a long distance rifle shot. In fact there was some shooting in The Last Picture show when the main character shot up something (don't remember what) from the hot tub. McMurtry wrote several followup books to Lonesome Dove that weren't half as good but they were westerns with some gun play. I like his characters and humor. Gotta admit I haven't read all his books though.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    If I remember correctly there were a few mentions of guns and shooting in Lonesome Dove. Like when he (Gus) slit his horse's throat and used his body as a shield, and killing one of the bad guys with a long distance rifle shot. In fact there was some shooting in The Last Picture show when the main character shot up something (don't remember what) from the hot tub. McMurtry wrote several followup books to Lonesome Dove that weren't half as good but they were westerns with some gun play. I like his characters and humor. Gotta admit I haven't read all his books though.
    He did write those but he also wrote Terms of Endearment, Evening Shade & etc. The Last Picture Show series is a very good four book series.

Top Bottom