• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I really thought that I’d seen a detailed discussion of the Federal .327 Magnum on TGT, but can’t find it now.

Whatever happened to this once-promising “new” cartridge and the guns chambered for it ?

leVieux
    ARJ Defense ad

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The caliber suffered from several angles.
    1.) There ammunition was expensive, difficult to find, very limited bullet selection, no reasonable practice ammo availability.
    2.) Firearm selections very limited.
    3.) The round itself was obnoxious to fire. Muzzle blast, especially indoors, was excessive. Recoil and report were no slouches either.

I played around with it for a while. I found it unpleasant to fire. Even out of a heavy revolver.
    The ammo for it was/still is way way more expensive than it should be. Even the lesser powered.32H&R and .32 S&W were expensive and difficult to find.
    You must have reasonably priced ammo on the shelves for folks to practice with if you expect your new caliber to succeed. Shopped for .32acp lately?
    IMO the .32 H&R is the better cartridge. It really deserves to be more popular but that’s another thread.
    S&W should’ve done an eight rd. K frame for it. No gunmakers really did much with it. Other than a couple of models from Ruger there wasn’t any.
    For some reason .32caliber doesn’t sell well. Yet we get the 30 Super Carry. Go figure.
    The 30sc will suffer the same fate.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    The caliber suffered from several angles.
    1.) There ammunition was expensive, difficult to find, very limited bullet selection, no reasonable practice ammo availability.
    2.) Firearm selections very limited.
    3.) The round itself was obnoxious to fire. Muzzle blast, especially indoors, was excessive. Recoil and report were no slouches either.

I played around with it for a while. I found it unpleasant to fire. Even out of a heavy revolver.
    The ammo for it was/still is way way more expensive than it should be. Even the lesser powered.32H&R and .32 S&W were expensive and difficult to find.
    You must have reasonably priced ammo on the shelves for folks to practice with if you expect your new caliber to succeed. Shopped for .32acp lately?
    IMO the .32 H&R is the better cartridge. It really deserves to be more popular but that’s another thread.
    S&W should’ve done an eight rd. K frame for it. No gunmakers really did much with it. Other than a couple of models from Ruger there wasn’t any.
    For some reason .32caliber doesn’t sell well. Yet we get the 30 Super Carry. Go figure.
    The 30sc will suffer the same fate.
    I realize I’m outside the norm here, and you can’t find 327 at your local Academy, but I got into 2 cases of FEDERAL American Eagle for something stupid cheap when federal had there rebate a few years ago. If I remember right, I have around 25 cents per round into it.
    As it’s a straight walled rimmed cartridge, I should have enough brass to last me a lifetime.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I realize I’m outside the norm here, and you can’t find 327 at your local Academy, but I got into 2 cases of FEDERAL American Eagle for something stupid cheap when federal had there rebate a few years ago. If I remember right, I have around 25 cents per round into it.
    As it’s a straight walled rimmed cartridge, I should have enough brass to last me a lifetime.

You need to look at it from the standard issue gun dude direction. These folks don’t know on-line bulk buying. Many will never cough up $400 for a case of ammo or ever reload. They might buy 200rds a year. They want ammo from Academy not Joe’s Gun Shop & Dog Grooming Shop over in the bad part of town. They will not pay big bucks for .32 stuff when 9mm is sitting there at half the price. Kevin likes polymer these days anyway.
    Like it or not they make up the majority of gun buyers. Guys like you and I are kinda rare. Not here on the forum but out there in the wild.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It's 2x the price of just a few years ago! Luckily I have a stash of Fiocchi but could always use more.

Yeah. It’s crazy what they’re asking nowadays.
    Pre-covid I lucked into a screaming deal on a few cases. Still shooting off that but have severely cut back on usage.
    Damn shame really. The little Beretta 81 is a real sweetheart to shoot.
    Moonpie is a sad panda over this.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    It's got a cult following, but wasn't right for the mainstream buyers. It was introduced as a self defense revolver round in a market that had already mostly switched over to semi autos. That was going to be an uphill fight as it was. The fact that they seemed to half ass it and not offer very many guns in it pretty well guaranteed it's death.

Top Bottom