• ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Preface........
    Friends advised me that some of the members here stated that I don't tell the truth in my posts and that I'm full of sxit. That's a shame as messing with guns for over 50 years has taught me a lot and I'm always willing to share what I've learned. I've been single for all but seven years of my life and have no family. That left my income available for hobbies.....lots of hobbies for over a half century!
    =========================================================

I didn't buy guns to keep them. I learned about them, enjoyed getting to shoot them well then traded them off. I KEPT the experience but traded off the guns. So.........to quantify my life experience for this thread, simply adds fodder for the "haters." It would be one more story to make fun of.

My eyes have cataracts forming and the elbows and knees are eating my lunch so I've had to modify my shooting sports activities. I'll buy no more pistols. I still shoot well but physical limitations swatted that down. I'm past my prime and the handwriting is on the wall on that count.

I specialized in military rifle matches using iron sights at 200 to 600 yards. Joints and eyes won't allow that, so I've been selling my iron sight rifles. Position shooting is probably over but the wonderful guys that I shot matches with for years said I could shoot the NRA matches all from prone. The iron sights are still a problem.

Even clay bird shooting has been a problem. My Remington 1100's weigh nine pounds and the elbows scream about that very quickly. Had to lay off this fall.

Bottom line for this shooter...........today............. is shooting from a bench, with a rest and scoped rifles. Shooting bug holes is fun and that's the stage I'm in at this point in my life. That's not by choice as I've always looked at bench shooting with disdain. It's how it has to be, now.

Flash

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Bottom line for this shooter...........today............. is shooting from a bench, with a rest and scoped rifles. Shooting bug holes is fun and that's the stage I'm in at this point in my life. That's not by choice as I've always looked at bench shooting with disdain. It's how it has to be, now.
    The best thing about migrating to benchrest competition is that as long as you start shooting it while you're under 70, you get called "Sonny" by most of the other shooters. ;)

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    The best thing about migrating to benchrest competition is that as long as you start shooting it while you're under 70, you get called "Sonny" by most of the other shooters. ;)

It's only funny because it's true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I'm in the "will buy anything if I can afford it at the time" stage. I have a shotgun, Mosin, AR, and Glock so I basically have the necessaries but I would like a 10/22 eventually and a revolver to carry (eventually). I'm still in college so any money I make is used on other things but once I graduate, I'll have a steady income and will have more freedom to invest in what I want. I have plans for many different guns and builds but they can wait.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Roger is my hero.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 65 i've spent a life time of shooting everything from early PPC to silhouette, long range hand gun.. i enjoy older weapons, and revolvers, but still get a thrill out of tactical reloads with speed loaders..

yep a couple 1911's but like Roger no longer fast enough to be competitive ... and Mike i agree with you.on Roger, very candidly one of the more interesting people i've ever known..

i've also seen the veiled sarcasm, but in my years with the prison system and the Navy.. i'm pretty good at detecting a phony.. Roger is no phony... might lack some humility, but one of those people you seldom meet that actually is capable of what ever he says he capable of..

Last edited:

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I have all the necessities covered. I'm becoming more of a collector. There are particular calibers that I favor(.357 mag, .22LR, etc).
    I'm not a huge AR fanboy. I have one AR, and I'll never sell it, but I have no desire for another.
    I love revolvers and lever-actions.

From the desk of a literate squirrel named Leonard.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    At 65 i've spent a life time of shooting everything from early PPC to silhouette, long range hand gun.. i enjoy older weapons, and revolvers, but still get a thrill out of tactical reloads with speed loaders..

yep a couple 1911's but like Roger no longer fast enough to be competitive ... and Mike i agree with you.on Roger, very candidly one of the more interesting people i've ever known..

i've also seen the veiled sarcasm, but in my years with the prison system and the Navy.. i'm pretty good at detecting a phony.. Roger is no phony... might lack some humility, but one of those people you seldom meet that actually is capable of what ever he says he capable of..
    I too much prefer a knowledgeable, forthright person who has the courage of his own convictions and doesn't hesitate to enunciate them over some smarmy, mealy-mouthed fop who's overly concerned about political correctness. Tell it like it is Rog!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have 2 1911's, WILL get more,something I have wanted since right after the stone age. A .44 cap and ball,want a .36 too. My favorite, a .22 Papaw used to take us out to shoot.got out of guns for many years due to raising kids. Now I can afford to make fishing rods, reload and shoot again. Not many I really want, but I REALLY like 1911's and black powder pistols.

Oh yeah, I thought everthing on here was absolute fact.
    Some folks think if they did not do it, no one else could either. Never figured that one out.......
    The guy that got me started had well over 300 guns, some documented to the late 1700's

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

hardcase60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Central Texas
    Last year(maybe), I did a very smooth transaction with Roger. Since that time I have infrequently followed his post and am always intrigued by his knowledge and candor. I frequent Houston on a regular basis, someday hopefully we will meet.

hardcase60

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is the only thing...
    I agree. Love(d) that thing.

Then I found one at a gun show and picked it up. It's just too small for my fat hands. I may still buy one as a training pistol but I won't be shooting it much. It was a big disappointment.

jparks54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Fruitvale
    I think im just starting with just a 45, 2 22's, an ar in 300blk, 12ga 870, and singleshot 410 have lots more on the wish list

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

Top Bottom