• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    If you don't like things that crawl and slither, Texas may not be the best place to reside.
    I could never understand any ones irrational fear of snakes. A little time, and you could I.D. just about any snake. I can tell the difference between a coral snake and a scarlet snake, 30 yards away. I carry snake tools in my trunk. I see a venomous snake, I retrieve my hook and soft clamp, place them in a a bucket, and remove them from the area. I don't recommend anyone doing this unless you have experience doing it.

Two weeks ago, I was at Inks lake, setting in a chair. All the sudden I heard, "COTTONMOUTH!!! Panic ensued, and everyone tripped over one another getting out of the water. I went over and looked, and started to laugh. A boy who didn't leave the water (not particularly afraid of snakes), under my supervision, pulled it into the water, then quickly tossed it on the bank. It was a particularly large (for this area) Rat snake, beautifully marked, in prime condition, and REALLY upset. I grabbed her tail and told all the kids to stay away for a minute (it was snapping at anything that moved). After I got the snake (gravid female) calmed down, I encouraged the kids to examine, and touch it. Not surprisingly, all the kids were wanting to touch it, and take pictures with it around their necks (Snake was really calm at that point). Believe it or not (but again, not surprisingly), the girls were begging to have it around their necks for pictures. One girl (9), carried it around for about ten minutes, scaring the adults with it, THAT was funny!

I was explaining to them what the difference was between a cottonmouth, and a rat snake. ALL the kids wanted to touch or handle it. The boy who caught it, got the honor of the "catch and release". Kids were all excited about learning about them, the adults know me, and understand I know what I'm doing. Adults wouldn't touch it though.:)

Also, on the same day, the kids got a chance to see a pus caterpillar (MUCH more dangerous than a rat snake) They were not allowed to touch that of course.

BTW, that is indeed a checkered garter snake in your trap. Kudos on the catch and release!

I have yet to see a cottonmouth OR copperhead in Burnet Co. I HAVE seen them in neighboring Travis Co. in the Bee Cave area.
    however, Burnet Co. has a pretty large population of Western Diamondback rattlesnakes.

If you live in Burnet Co. and think you see a venomous snake, take a picture and post it. If you like, I'll come by and remove it from your property.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    .22, .38 shot shells, 20ga, 12ga, .223, .40 S&W, 9mm.

All have been part of my snake tool bag at one time or another.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Son in law killed his 1st snake yesterday.
    Could be the 1st kill period.

We're all proud of him.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    It's a garter

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yep. Western Territorial Garter. We don't have any of those in my area of Texas but we've got a bajillion Eastern Garters. They're great pest control.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442586631.838747.jpg

Top Bottom