Target Sports

What is the most accurate press mounted powder measure dropper for Handgun loads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    My 20yo dillon powder measure with the low grain meter bar measures a perfect 3.2 grains of Titegroup every time. I don't ever have to touch the adjustment nob. I'll just run a few drops with it when I'm setting up, before I start a batch, then weigh a few loads and its a perfect 3.2 for each one.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My RCBS powder measure does a pretty good job. It does depend on the powder though. Ball powders meter very consistantly in most dispensers.

The Hornady powder measure I had was horrible. The dispenser on my Dillon SBD seems to work well but I haven't tried a ton of different powders and loads yet.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    1/50th of 1grain? What powder are you using? Ball powder will measure the most consistent.

Last edited:

daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    1/50th of 1grain? What powder are you using? Ball powder will measure the most consistent.

WIN231 ball powder.
    Lee turret
    Lee Pro powder measure (in which the inconsistencies occur)
    With disks, it's fairly consistent.

And I modified the micro-adjusting bar to improve it, because it had 2 glaring problems
    1) I rounded the straight side with a dremel to make the opening as much like an oval as I could, and polished it smooth.
    2) I removed the small edge at the bottom of the unit, that the bar slides on, so no flakes could "hang up" there.
    3) The curved part of the bar had imperfections (small raised areas) that I took out.
    Today, I'm going to run a small ground wire to the press, just in case static electricity is clumping together
    any grains of powder.

I will try the bar later today, and see how much improvement I made. I know there Has to be some, at least, by
    taking out the straight side of the drop unit.

Last edited:

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    daddySEAL - I was using the micro-adjusting bar and it stayed within .1g with W231, works fine for my target pistol loads. Last night my RL550B came in and the Dillon Powder measure is WORLDS beyond the Lee. The Frankford Arsenal digital scale only reads to .1g, with that said the Dillon laid out 4.7 grains of W231 every time, might be worth a look to retrofit one to your Lee.

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please Let me know what powder measure you settle on.
    I hand load subsonic rifle ammo. I use a RCBS powder measure. Disc powder like traiboss meters consistent. Ball powder like Accurate 1680 varies 0.2 grains. It will throw 11.2 grains several times then throw a 11.0 or 11.5g. I weigh on a digital scale.

My Dillon 650 consistently measures TiteGroup for 9mm pistol loads. I agree with the above poster, it is very accurate.

Thanks
    RFA

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Consistency of any powder measure is governed by how much you bump or bang around on the bench to pack the powder down.

I have 11 different ways to measure powder and in my experience, the Lyman 55 is the most accurate measure. It has three separate metering chambers and is adjustable to very small tolerances. The 55 also has a "knocker" built into the measure base to give the same amount of vibration to every charge.

Dillon has an adapter to use other brands of measures on their presses. Midway has a thread adapter to size the small neck of the Lyman 55 to that adapter size.

Flash

RichD62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Killeen
    I use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk with my Turret press. Find it to be very consistent using HP-38 with the disks and the charge bar. I use it for .380 auto rounds because the disks don't go small enough and the micro disk has some issues I need to correct for it to work properly.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I like the prodisk. I've heard mixed revues on the charge bar.

The downside to using the disks is fine tuning. I also run a few cases through before I start actually loading, it seems the first couple can be a little heavy from the powder settling but afterwords it has been pretty consistent.

daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    daddySEAL - I was using the micro-adjusting bar and it stayed within .1g with W231, works fine for my target pistol loads. Last night my RL550B came in and the Dillon Powder measure is WORLDS beyond the Lee. The Frankford Arsenal digital scale only reads to .1g, with that said the Dillon laid out 4.7 grains of W231 every time, might be worth a look to retrofit one to your Lee.
    I wish I could afford a Dillon...thanks

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think just as much about the powder type as much as it is the equipment. The grainier powders like AA#5 will always meter better than a flaky powder like unique or blue dot. However, I do believe some claims about the dillon stuff, it always seems to get high marks from serious reloaders.

daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I think just as much about the powder type as much as it is the equipment. The grainier powders like AA#5 will always meter better than a flaky powder like unique or blue dot. However, I do believe some claims about the dillon stuff, it always seems to get high marks from serious reloaders.

I agree...I use spherical powders mostly.

daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Please Let me know what powder measure you settle on.
    I hand load subsonic rifle ammo. I use a RCBS powder measure. Disc powder like traiboss meters consistent. Ball powder like Accurate 1680 varies 0.2 grains. It will throw 11.2 grains several times then throw a 11.0 or 11.5g. I weigh on a digital scale.

My Dillon 650 consistently measures TiteGroup for 9mm pistol loads. I agree with the above poster, it is very accurate.

Thanks
    RFA

I'm thinking the Lyman 55

Top Bottom