Gun Zone Deals

What is the best range you have visited?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Haven't been to many. Midland Shooter's Association is pretty good. Polite RO/SOs. Friendly and patient with new shooters. Good facilities.

On my way back to Texas this summer I might be able to swing by the NRA Whittington Center.
    Military Camp

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    The indoor ranges in DFW that I like are The Shooting Gallery on E. Lancaster in Ft Worth, and On Target SW of Ft Worth.

Quail Creek, north of Ft Worth, is my favorite outdoor place, but I usually go to Alpine just because it's close by, and I only use the 50yd range there.

I believe Shoot Smart has the most advertised training available in Ft Worth that I've seen online.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Limited to those I have personally visited or used -
    Best at what it was built for: Wolf Creek. It's a shame it couldn't keep operating but that's par for the course for Olympic ranges.
    Best all-around for U.S. shooters: Whittington Center.

For truly amazing shooting facilities, you have to go to places where guns are so heavily regulated that they become toys for the rich. If all your customers are rich, you can afford to build the best, hire the best, and create the best possible shooting experiences. I've seen pictures and videos of ranges in Germany, France, and Spain that make my mouth water. The Italians seem particularly adept at building fantastic shotgun-only clubs.

Of course, there are always the exceptions that prove the rule. In the U.S., for example, has anyone visited the NRA HQ range in Virginia? It goes to 50M, indoors, with a proper target hold system and annual membership is only $300. If I lived near it, I'd just about live at that range. ;)

Stumpnav

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    The old Thunder Ranch when it was still in Texas.

The facility was absolutely top notch and the instruction was the best.

chf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Public: Lone Star in Lockhart.
    Government: Any of them. Way more fun when the guns and ammo are free :)

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Agree with flying swords grew up 45 mins from Browns Camp but Hicksville is better as its an actual range.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Ft. Lewis, Washington (Love those reactive targets)

Canadian Forces Base Borden; Ontario, Canada (Canada's biggest WWII Basic Training base, miles of butts)

Port Coquitlam and District Hunting and Fishing Association, Burke Mountain, B.C., Canada (You name it, they shoot it!)

North Texas Shooter's Association, Sanger Tx. (members only, great facilities, unobtrusive Range Officer, friendly people!)

Custer Sportsman's Association, Custer, Washington. (great bunch of guys, annual 3-Gun Cowboy Match not to be missed!)

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    A range on Ft Polk, Louisiana. They had skeet and a pistol range which used automated military pop up targets. My wife had a ball at that range and seeing the immediate feedback from her hits was exciting to her.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Yea-okefanokee swamp. Real nice, and laid back.

Yeah I was going there every sunday for a few months prior to moving to tx. On several occasions we were the only ones on the rifle range for an hour or more. Not totally free now but just a 12$ fishing license will get you legal for the year.

Top Bottom