What is so great about the 6.5 Creedmore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nobody reinvented the wheel. The bullet has good BC... Long and slender. That's the highlight of it. Fights the wind and stays supersonic longer. I enjoyed mine. Nothing wrong with it. It'll dirt nap any of the Texas game.

I bought it for long range shooting. The high BC is what made it appealing.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Here's a thread to peruse while waiting for replies....

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Is it better than the old ones for hunting ?Is a man bun a requirement for having one ? Will it kill a Texas whitetail deader than a 243,22-250, 7mm-08, 308, 270 Win. 25-06, 30-06, 30-30 ?Is Keto a requirement for having one ?
    No requirements to own. Douchebags/ Fudds can buy with confidence.

Most people that knock the round have never shot more than 100 yards.

The Creedmoor rounds are geared toward long range shooting. No, 200 yards is not long range. Think 500 yards minimum. That's where they excel over older rounds.

They do work great for normal hunting distances too.

Buy what you want. If you really cared what people think then you'll never buy anything.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    It serves zero greatness until it hits about 600 yards then it starts to shine just as any other long sleek High BC, low drag, bullet does.
    600 yrds is a long poke, some people can't even see or guesstimate 600 yards much less shoot accurately that far. The 6.5 just makes shooting beyond this much easier then traditional calibers and basic bullets.

The High end high dial up n down scope is 45% +/- part of the equation to long distance and caliber, cartridge and bullets at are about 45% +/- and the rifle falls in at about 10% +/-
    Values will differ for specific use and shooter.

The experts will chime in and claim the rifle needs to have more value and that's just BS unless your rig is a dedicated long range rifle you are competing with. Any rifle will shoot 1000 yards.
    Read the last sentence from above paragraph.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    While I have enjoyed shooting the several custom 6.5 CM's that I've built since 2009, there is nothing any better than most other 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, or 30 caliber cartridge's that have been around before or after it was developed.

The main difference with the 6.5 CM was all the Marketing that Hornady did with it. That was the cartridge's claim to fame. It's funny that 17 years since the 6.5 CM was invented, people still argue over the damn thing.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    While I have enjoyed shooting the several custom 6.5 CM's that I've built since 2009, there is nothing any better than most other 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, or 30 caliber cartridge's that have been around before or after it was developed.

The main difference with the 6.5 CM was all the Marketing that Hornady did with it. That was the cartridge's claim to fame. It's funny that 17 years since the 6.5 CM was invented, people still argue over the damn thing.
    It is amusing, but argue, more like discuss, or in the OPs case make fun of.
    But then people still argue the viability of the 3006 regularly, on this most auspicious Forum, of all places.
    So the CM is a tender 17 years old. I wonder how many years the new Marlin .444, or the epic .45 GAP were hotly discussed.

alexng30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2016
    A high BC cartridge throwing a 140gr-150gr projectile at 2600-2700 fps in factory ammo and in a short action format makes a lot of older cartridges “obsolete”. Obviously, that doesn’t mean you should chuck your .25-06 or .260 in the trash, but it offers genuine advantages over older cartridges with greater modern support from manufacturers with factory ammo production serving all aspects of rifle shooting.

It’s a great target shooting cartridge and is very effective in hunting, which all comes down to proper bullet selection. Plenty of people have dropped Elk with 6.5 creed with the right bullet at the right range (which applies to literally any caliber, frankly). The Northern Europeans have been using the basically-identical 6.5 Swede to take big game for over a century at this point.

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    No requirements to own. Douchebags/ Fudds can buy with confidence.

Most people that knock the round have never shot more than 100 yards.

The Creedmoor rounds are geared toward long range shooting. No, 200 yards is not long range. Think 500 yards minimum. That's where they excel over older rounds.

They do work great for normal hunting distances too.

Buy what you want. If you really cared what people think then you'll never buy anything.
    I agree with this, it really shines at distances where legitimate wind calls are needed, which is NOT 1-300 years. my mind tends to think of 6.5CM as the 5.56 of mid-range shoot (600-1200 yards). They're lighter than our traditional 30 cal rounds, but run hot and fast and have pretty decent expansion with the right load.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I found it so popular at the range and the brass so plentiful, I picked up a 6.5 bolt rifle. Is a flat-shooting .308 to me.

Uses same magazine as .308 and .243 win on my rifle. Will run on a AR10 lower.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gunnar
    Top Bottom