Patriot Mobile

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The thickness of the break pad doesn't contribute to dust. Pedal fade deals with overheated brakes or brake fluid with water in it. The heat boils the water making the brake fluid foam. Leading to fading.

The hydraulics compensate for the brake pad thickness.

It's all about the metal tab on the brake pads. The metal tab will score the rotor if the pads ain't changed out pretty quick.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Interesting, is that an intentional "alert" built in to the pads?
    Is this something specific to a dually setup?
    Not intentional that I know of but just something I have noticed over the years. Definitely not an exclusive dually thing.

It may not even really be true as GHG is saying.

But the dust started to build up noticeably and now it is squealing. Seems to fit my experience that the excessive dust is the first sign of the pads going.

My F150 and Accord did the same thing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Or install a Jake brake. Hauling a trailer is the reason why the front pads are toast. They're having to do most of the work.

If the truck will take a Jake brake. The front pads will last a hell of a lot longer....

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Or install a Jake brake. Hauling a trailer is the reason why the front pads are toast. They're having to do most of the work.

If the truck will take a Jake brake. The front pads will last a hell of a lot longer....
    Or trade it in on a newer one where the exhaust brake is standard.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Or trade it in on a newer one where the exhaust brake is standard.
    I have the exhaust brake and run it with the tow/ haul mode when towing. It is a '16.

Not really a Jake brake but similar concept.

I will admit that I drive agressively though.

The truck has 135k miles on it. I bought it used at 98k and the previous owner was a Hotshotter that put some hard miles on it.

Not sure if this is the original set of pads but I can't complain since I consider them routine maintenance.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    For a work truck that's dragged a trailer all it's life...and your foot. If the pads are original.

That mileage doesn't sound unreasonable for a brake pad change. If you're gonna do the front. Might as well get it over with and check the back.

Do them all if you need to. Then forget about it for another 100k.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have the exhaust brake and run it with the tow/ haul mode when towing. It is a '16.

Not really a Jake brake but similar concept.

I will admit that I drive agressively though.

The truck has 135k miles on it. I bought it used at 98k and the previous owner was a Hotshotter that put some hard miles on it.

Not sure if this is the original set of pads but I can't complain since I consider them routine maintenance.
    I love the exhaust brake on mine, and use it anytime I’m driving. I like the way it gets more aggressive in tow/haul mode too. It’s really good at maintaining speed on down grades without downshifting. The first time I heard it engage going down Ranger hill while pulling 15k lbs scared me. I had never heard the truck make that sound before.

Those probably are the original factory pads. Once they went to disc brakes on the rear, the fronts started lasting much longer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I bet the Ford has electronic lifters. The computer shuts the valves on certain cylinders. In a way, being a Jake brake.

So instead of a valve on the exhaust. Ford just turns cylinders off and engine brakes that way.

Least my guess on how Ford does it.

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    I bet the Ford has electronic lifters. The computer shuts the valves on certain cylinders. In a way, being a Jake brake.

So instead of a valve on the exhaust. Ford just turns cylinders off and engine brakes that way.

Least my guess on how Ford does it.

Nope. Variable turbocharger inlet vanes get closed to up the back pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's ok. The GM diesel is an Isuzu motor. The first all alloy block diesel....Designed by Isuzu.

Ford use to use International motors. Navastar they called them. Then they went in house.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    New pads versus old.

Unbolt the spacers (factory parts on Ford duallies, not aftermarket truck rice crap) and the rotors come right off.

Should be plenty of steel left to get them turned. Get that done in the morning and put it all back together.
    2b8131c7842b00c9c6305fa1c4207fb0.jpg
    506536b86093755937753b6bc988e179.jpg

Top Bottom